Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

ZippySLC posted:

How many folks have a photo blog on Tumblr or something in addition to their portfolio sites? I set one up the other day and have been enjoying curating a new shot each day.

I don't use tumblr, but I've been running a photo blog at WhatsUpSF.com which is a photo-a-day based on the theme of looking "Up" around San Francisco, plus some additional goodies that post in the afternoon. I've been getting other photographers to submit photos, but I'm trying to figure out how to bring it to a wider audience.

ZippySLC posted:

I was going to mention the scrollbar, but didn't know how to bring it up without sounding like a jerk.

I guess the right scrolling photog portfolio is the "thing" now, but it drives me up a wall. Right scrolling on a website is just about the most unnatural thing to do.

There were a few portfolios that I wanted to mention this for, but I'm glad you brought it up. If I'm on my phone looking at a website, right-scrolling is a pain in the rear end and makes me go to another website. Scrolling up/down just seems really natural and works with pretty much every layout.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

There were a few portfolios that I wanted to mention this for, but I'm glad you brought it up. If I'm on my phone looking at a website, right-scrolling is a pain in the rear end and makes me go to another website. Scrolling up/down just seems really natural and works with pretty much every layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Designing portfolios for mobile is stupid.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

In my opinion it's not stupid at all to have a portfolio, website, film or any other media project that is designed to be responsive and good-looking on mobile as well as desktop. Phone screens are getting bigger, the market for tablets is booming, more and more devices have displays capable of showing amazing photos and video, and kids being born today may never use a desktop PC in their lives. On top of that, I run into potential clients in random places and if I give them a portfolio address they'll often whip their phone out right then and there and look at it. You can give them a business card and hope they'll check it out when they get home but giving them the chance to forget is a potential lost deal right off the bat.

I have a lot of respect for David Lynch but I think as a director his perspective is a little too privileged to deal with what filmmakers outside of the Hollywood bubble are doing with media and the internet. Maybe 1% of filmmakers will get to choose what location their films screen in, the rest of us have to reach out when and where we can.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

bassguitarhero posted:

In my opinion it's not stupid at all to have a portfolio, website, film or any other media project that is designed to be responsive and good-looking on mobile as well as desktop. Phone screens are getting bigger, the market for tablets is booming, more and more devices have displays capable of showing amazing photos and video, and kids being born today may never use a desktop PC in their lives. On top of that, I run into potential clients in random places and if I give them a portfolio address they'll often whip their phone out right then and there and look at it. You can give them a business card and hope they'll check it out when they get home but giving them the chance to forget is a potential lost deal right off the bat.

I have a lot of respect for David Lynch but I think as a director his perspective is a little too privileged to deal with what filmmakers outside of the Hollywood bubble are doing with media and the internet. Maybe 1% of filmmakers will get to choose what location their films screen in, the rest of us have to reach out when and where we can.

I don't want people viewing my images on a 4" screen. Maybe the target market for your Instagrams is different.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The only mobile portfolio I need is a book where i put hq printed 8x12 images in. I do have a portfolio on my Kindle Fire and it works out great, but im in no way allowing it to make up for printed material presented in book format. Unless you are anti-book, like the Nazi's. :toot:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Here is mine. I really like how it's turned out.

https://www.paulfrederiksen.com

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Here is mine. I really like how it's turned out.

https://www.paulfrederiksen.com

What's the point in having a "Photography" link that just brings you to the same page?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dukeku posted:

What's the point in having a "Photography" link that just brings you to the same page?

It's a footer. If you click on something else like 'Contact' the Photography page is still there.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I clicked on it 4 times before I realized that it didn't do anything. There's nothing really indicating that the images are what you're supposed to interact with beyond the arrow which isn't highly visible.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dukeku posted:

There's nothing really indicating that the images are what you're supposed to interact with beyond the arrow which isn't highly visible.

Yeah, not a bad idea to make that a bit more noticeable.

EDIT: should be a bit more noticeable now. It also auto rotates as well to make it a bit more obvious.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 28, 2014

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

RangerScum posted:

Literally none of your portfolio photos load.

Can't see them in Firefox either. "Turn off AdBlock" is something that I will never do.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just as an FYI AdBlock has been acting up the past couple of days. Try manually updating the lists.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dukeku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Designing portfolios for mobile is stupid.

Watching a movie on a phone is stupid. Having a way to show any random people you meet your photos when you weren't planning ahead is useful and has gotten me work. There's really no reason not to other than laziness or some asinine artistic integrity argument.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Watching a movie on a phone is stupid. Having a way to show any random people you meet your photos when you weren't planning ahead is useful and has gotten me work. There's really no reason not to other than laziness or some asinine artistic integrity argument.

I don't think "my photos have more impact large" is an asinine reason. Thanks for your lovely opinion though.

Not all of us are trying to make money from our portfolios.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 30, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I just give them a card.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

I don't think "my photos have more impact large" is an asinine reason. Thanks for your lovely opinion though.

Not all of us are trying to make money from our portfolios.

Relax guy. Okay, add "you have no interest in being a professional photographer" to the list, but if that's the case then I'm not sure why you would make a dedicated portfolio site and not just use flickr, 500px, tumblr, etc.

And "because they look better large" is still an asinine reason. Everybody's photos look better large, and even people who know nothing about photography will realize that. If they think your photos look good on a phone they're going to find a way to view them bigger. If your photos don't look good on a phone, they probably don't look good at any size. How large must your photos be viewed to be properly appreciated? 8" tablet screen, 13" laptop screen, or do you need at least a 23" widescreen monitor, bare minimum? There are so many ways to access the internet that it's silly to have any expectation for how people are viewing your website. If you want that much control then forgo the internet and just have a print book.

I'm not saying artistic integrity is stupid. It's extremely important. I'm only saying that not finding a way to display your photos on a phone in the era of smartphones solely because of artistic integrity is stupid. If you don't care about making money, then no it's probably not worth the effort.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I just give them a card.

Which is a valid approach, but giving out business cards feels more like a numbers game and most of the time when I'm in a situation giving them out there are other people giving them out as well and who knows if they'll even bother following up on any of them much less yours. If I can be like "hey, here's a shot I took last week" and they're impressed by it, the odds of them going to my site and looking at my whole portfolio seem to be a lot higher.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

If your photos don't look good on a phone, they probably don't look good at any size.

lol

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I have yet to see a good photo look bad on a phone.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

ZippySLC posted:

I have yet to see a good photo look bad on a phone.

I've seen good photos that look bad in any format other than giant prints.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Given a choice between a lovely small phone screen, an iPad or Kindle screen, or a 9x13 or 8x10 portfolio book, which will produce a much better image to look at?

My money is totez on the phone. :snoop:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
For serious viewing I prefer to have my photos projected on to a large surface, such as your mom's rear end. :radcat:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
This post best viewed in Internet Explorer 5 or Netscape 3 at 800x600.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ZippySLC posted:

This post best viewed in Internet Explorer 5 or Netscape 3

Which is to say, not at all.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ZippySLC posted:

This post best viewed in Internet Explorer 5 or Netscape 3 at 800x600.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CAN YOU PLEASE 56k WARNING NEXT TIME PLEASE FFS THIS TOOK FOREVER TO LOAD.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Relax guy. Okay, add "you have no interest in being a professional photographer" to the list, but if that's the case then I'm not sure why you would make a dedicated portfolio site and not just use flickr, 500px, tumblr, etc.

I didn't realize portfolios were about monetization, I always thought they were about presenting your work. I guess I should just delete my portfolio and shoot solely for social media likes. Thanks!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dukeku posted:

I didn't realize portfolios were about monetization, I always thought they were about presenting your work. I guess I should just delete my portfolio and shoot solely for social media likes. Thanks!

Someone is taking things entirely too personal here.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

Yeah, probably the guy noone is talking to (you).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

Someone is really bad at detecting sarcasm here.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Yeah, probably the guy noone is talking to (you).

ooooooook

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

stop posting

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

Someone is really bad at detecting sarcasm here.

Maybe, but I'm good at detecting something that's passive aggressive.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

nah.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

You just proved my point. Thanks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

By reading your own posts? Frankly, based on their quality I assumed that you didn't.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

You're pretty bad at detecting sarcasm.

Haha christ you're such a little child.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dukeku posted:

You're pretty bad at detecting sarcasm.

Haha christ you're such a little child.

my diapers are dirty, come change them for me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

my diapers are dirty, come change them for me.

Wrong subforum, the kink thread is in ask/tell.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Just what we need: a Dorkroom YOSPOS.

EOSPOS?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
PukestainPaul is really Wario IRL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

By reading your own posts? Frankly, based on their quality I assumed that you didn't.

I appreciate your interest in me!

• Locked thread