Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baronjutter posted:

I'm totally cool with a tiny bedroom. What the hell do I do in there but sleep and get dressed?
At minimum you'll generally want someplace to store your clothes and so on plus enough space to comfortably access your wardrobes/chests of drawers. Also, it's nice to have bedside tables and enough space to move around in without things being cramped/awkward, especially if you're sharing it with a partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
It does depend if you're living with a partner. I know the simple fact of having enough room to enter and exit the bed on both sides of it, and each side having a bedside table/drawer is a nice plus for a couple on a queen size bed. When I lived by myself though, I definitely just wanted a tiny cubby hole with space for a closet and drawers. Thats essentially what I live in now till I move in with the gf in September.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

swagger like us posted:

It does depend if you're living with a partner. I know the simple fact of having enough room to enter and exit the bed on both sides of it, and each side having a bedside table/drawer is a nice plus for a couple on a queen size bed. When I lived by myself though, I definitely just wanted a tiny cubby hole with space for a closet and drawers. Thats essentially what I live in now till I move in with the gf in September.

Pretty much this. Also I keep my bookshelves in the bedroom.

Mexplosivo
Mar 8, 2007

The monetary system is not ratified by society yet it shapes and dictates our entire existence...
Wow you guys sure like the fine life.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mexplosivo posted:

Wow you guys sure like the fine life.

Not bumping my knees on the wall when getting out of bed, is how I know I'm middle class in Vancouver. :wotwot:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
SHUT UP PLEBES. STOP COMPLAINING AND BE GRATEFUL YOU ARE ALLOWED TO LAY YOUR EYES UPON THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lexicon posted:

Flaherty out. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/finance-minister-jim-flaherty-resigns-from-cabinet/article17549674/

Leaving for the 'private sector' which I can only assume is a euphemism for 'Bay St'

He'll show up as a 'senior advisor' at a law firm or Vice / Deputy Chair at a bank. His job description will be a euphemism for 'Provides access, but totally not in a way which violates lobbying laws'. See Kevin Lynch at BMO for example.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He'll show up as a 'senior advisor' at a law firm or Vice / Deputy Chair at a bank. His job description will be a euphemism for 'Provides access, but totally not in a way which violates lobbying laws'. See Kevin Lynch at BMO for example.

Nah. Chairman of a lobbying firm.. That's how Tories roll.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Same hat, different head.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/cam-good/vancouver-real-estate-millennials_b_4958982.html?utm_hp_ref=canada-business&ir=Canada%20Business

Gentle Millenials, Cam "fake Asian buyers" good says you should buy a 300k shitbox in the dtes.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

I'm so sick of this fucker.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Of course, the picture those numbers painted isn't all rosy. A full 18 per cent of our respondents have no savings.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://m.scmp.com/news/china/article/1453230/chinese-welcome-canadas-new-investor-visa-stricter-rules-apply

The new immigration/pedophile minister says immigration program was being flouted by mainlanders. Doubles down.

Btw, he says he thinks mainlanders had no impact on Canada's housing market.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Everything has an impact, but I don't see how mainland Chinese investors are market-movers in Vancouver-area housing. There are too few of them, and there's too much cheap money to be had, for anything other than the "prices will always go up in the best place on earth" mentality to be the actual driving force behind the bubble.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tagesschau posted:

Everything has an impact, but I don't see how mainland Chinese investors are market-movers in Vancouver-area housing. There are too few of them, and there's too much cheap money to be had, for anything other than the "prices will always go up in the best place on earth" mentality to be the actual driving force behind the bubble.

I agree mostly, but they clearly dominate the top part of the market (West Van and so on). Certain people like to deny this, but it's inconsistent with reality. I mean, hell, Vancouver doctors and so on can't even afford that real estate - not even close. The money being used for that is exogenous.

Of course, millionaire Chinese mainlanders are not the reason a crap condo on East Broadway costs 400k. Blame the BPOEers for that one.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/447152267961867584

quote:

RUH ROH: "A major player in mortgage syndication field recently entered financial difficulties with at least two projects in foreclosure"

:mmmhmm:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/status/446841040520351744

quote:

Inflation adjusted returns, 1928-2013:

Stocks – 6.48%
Bonds – 1.86%
Cash – 0.46%
Housing – 0.74%

Most people think their house won.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

From today's Globe and Mail

quote:

Even the innumerate become Stephen Hawking when thoughts turn to real estate. Which they do, inevitably, if you’re within sight of middle age. The corners of the mind once given over to daydreams of sex are now filled with high-efficiency furnaces and creeping rootballs and double-, no, triple-glazed windows.

I apologize for how relentlessly middle-class this preoccupation seems. But I didn’t make the demented real-estate market; I just live in it. Margaret Schlegel, the main character in Howards End, perhaps the great novel about real estate, asks at one point: “Aren’t you ever amused at the solemnity with which we middle classes approach the subject of houses?”

Is the housing column usually this melodramatic?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

The one problem with this analysis is that there isn't vast infrastructure, including government guarantee schemes and tax incentives, to let you lever yourself 20x to buy stocks.

No wonder people think housing wins.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Lexicon posted:

The one problem with this analysis is that there isn't vast infrastructure, including government guarantee schemes and tax incentives, to let you lever yourself 20x to buy stocks.

I understand the gist of what you're saying, but there are 100's of billions of dollars in margin on the major western exchanges, it's definitely possible.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There are also futures and options.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Saltin posted:

I understand the gist of what you're saying, but there are 100's of billions of dollars in margin on the major western exchanges, it's definitely possible.

Not to Joe Canuck with $15000 in his pocket and shaky employment there isn't. But we'll happily let him get a $300,000 mortgage.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
On the other side of the coin here folks, you can't live in your stocks.

Let's not all turn into robots in this thread.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

No, but you can live in the rental accommodations paid for by their dividends :D

For the record, in no way am I claiming to never buy real estate ever. Just pointing out the uneven comparison of these 'investment returns'.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Thanks bro I just spit cereal all over my phone

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

In a lot of situations, buying a house still doesn't make sense if you compare it to renting. And most of the people that are going to default on their houses didn't just buy it to have a place to live.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

People may act like they know it all about markets when they buy a house, but the reality is on some level they're aware they don't know much about investment. Housing is largely a common market, especially within a region, so if I buy this house or that house or the other house I can reasonably expect a similar return no matter which one I get. Investing in stocks requires diversifying your assets, doing some prep work and keeping track of things in a way most people are unwilling or unable to do. It might not be the smart choice, especially right now, but when you combine that with the ability to leverage your money much more on a house, plus the emotional and practical reasons people buy houses, it's understandable that people make these choices.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

People may act like they know it all about markets when they buy a house, but the reality is on some level they're aware they don't know much about investment. Housing is largely a common market, especially within a region, so if I buy this house or that house or the other house I can reasonably expect a similar return no matter which one I get. Investing in stocks requires diversifying your assets, doing some prep work and keeping track of things in a way most people are unwilling or unable to do. It might not be the smart choice, especially right now, but when you combine that with the ability to leverage your money much more on a house, plus the emotional and practical reasons people buy houses, it's understandable that people make these choices.

This is very accurate.

A family member, who already owns a house (in Victoria) recently came into an inheritance and asked me for my opinion on whether they should buy a rental property. I wrote down a sound, but comprehensible list of reasons why it was a bad idea, including the poor rental income returns relative to the capital invested, the indivisibility and illiquidity of the asset, the high transaction costs, the limited potential for capital gains given the stretched price:income figures, the poor geographical and asset diversification, etc, etc.

I also came up with an alternative investment strategy involving stock indexes, REITs, preferred shares, GIC laddering, etc, and explained how it was arguably far less risky due to the diversification and liquidity, and had better potential returns.

He basically ignored what I said (didn't challenge or question me, or ask for more particulars) - he's set on doing it regardless, and was basically just seeking validation from me. He's ploughing ahead with the rental condo purchase. Welp. :eng99:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lexicon : lol

loving people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

No, but you can live in the rental accommodations paid for by their dividends :D

For the record, in no way am I claiming to never buy real estate ever. Just pointing out the uneven comparison of these 'investment returns'.

It pretty much what economist Robert Shiller of shiller housing index fame recommends given all the downsides of "investing" in real estate.

Something like a balanced stock portfolio is a better investment due to better liquity and also how you can easily hedge your bets by purchasing different types of investments such as bonds, stocks, commodity ETFs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

Something like a balanced stock portfolio is a better investment due to better liquity and also how you can easily hedge your bets by purchasing different types of investments such as bonds, stocks, commodity ETFs.

And, of course, if you have a really good feeling about the real estate market, you can buy stocks in companies that stand to benefit from a hot market, instead of tying up a whole bunch of your assets (and likely going into debt) to have a giant, illiquid thing that you need to upkeep and pay taxes on every year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

According to Robert Shiller it's actually no return or even negative especially when you take into account all the hidden costs of home ownership plus how housing construction costs decrease over time.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

Lexicon : lol

loving people

The worst part is: it'll probably work out fine, he'll get the rental income, pay the taxes and recurring costs, have it for years, and get some amount of capital back that seems reasonable in realtor-math terms, and then conclude he's the financial genius and I'm a moron (being totally unaware of the opportunity cost and the risk incurred). Sigh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

The worst part is: it'll probably work out fine, he'll get the rental income, pay the taxes and recurring costs, have it for years, and get some amount of capital back that seems reasonable in realtor-math terms, and then conclude he's the financial genius and I'm a moron (being totally unaware of the opportunity cost and the risk incurred). Sigh.

Pretty much the biggest risk with the real estate "investment" is putting all the eggs in one basket not to mention having no easy liquidity for the investment.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

Pretty much the biggest risk with the real estate "investment" is putting all the eggs in one basket not to mention having no easy liquidity for the investment.

Agreed. But for most people, that point simply doesn't even enter their brain, and if it ever does, it's quickly rejected.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Lexicon posted:

Maybe four years ago, but I think we're on the cusp of a generational butt-plundering in terms of real estate values, so I think bankruptcy and/or shirtlesness are a more likely outcome.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Agreed. But for most people, that point simply doesn't even enter their brain, and if it ever does, it's quickly rejected.

Yeah the whole housing is the best investment is too ingrained despite all the contrary evidence.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

Maybe four years ago, but I think we're on the cusp of a generational butt-plundering in terms of real estate values, so I think bankruptcy and/or shirtlesness are a more likely outcome.

You know, I agree with this logic. But I also felt this way 3 years ago, and nothing has changed.

In the absence of any exogenous shock, maybe Canada is just a place doomed to have expensive real estate always, thanks to cultural and policy influence.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

ocrumsprug posted:

Not bumping my knees on the wall when getting out of bed, is how I know I'm middle class in Vancouver. :wotwot:

Out of curiosity, what is the sort of "average" size for a 2-bedroom apartment in the city? We are a family of three and we just moved in December to a new apartment, which is a bit bigger than our last one, we're at 91 sqm now and it feels just right. Not too cramped, not too big, plus we have a separate kitchen which is nice. I do know that a lot of new development projects here tend to keep the 2-bedroom apartment size around 70 sqm rather than 90, I was wondering if it was the same in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

OhYeah posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the sort of "average" size for a 2-bedroom apartment in the city? We are a family of three and we just moved in December to a new apartment, which is a bit bigger than our last one, we're at 91 sqm now and it feels just right. Not too cramped, not too big, plus we have a separate kitchen which is nice. I do know that a lot of new development projects here tend to keep the 2-bedroom apartment size around 70 sqm rather than 90, I was wondering if it was the same in Canada.

65 Square Meters is the Average for a 2 Bedroom apartment, can go +/- 10m for basement suites.