Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Condos in Lethbridge go for $220,000 here which equal about $650 a month in mortgage payments. This is for a 2 bed, 2 bath and kitchen and living room.

I really want the market to crash so I can get in on those desperate to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm just tired of hearing about house flipping. Many people are telling me to buy a crap shack, fix it up, then sell for profit! Heck, I just heard on the radio of a free seminar from a host of "Flip that House" that is trying to encourage more people to do that.

Ill laugh when they sink all their money into a poo poo hole that no-one will ever buy once the market crashes.

Just slowly socking my money away......$50,000 you need to materialize quicker.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Where do you live and who is telling you to do this? Its really hard to talk with bullish family members.

Lethbridge, and it's not just family members. It's my customers, a few friends and people I just talk to when I'm the customer. I :catstare: them as I wouldn't want to touch a house flipping project in a million years

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
There is tons of condos going up on the west side of town. In the 8 years I've lived here, they built a road out to empty fields, and now two huge condo areas are springing up. There is a gigantic catholic school nearby and many other shops and businesses building up. I think it's that there are finally enough permanent population staying in the town and on the west side of town to facilitate the development.

From what I can gather, what used to happen is that people would get their training or schooling in town, then leave to work on the rigs or in Calgary.

Now that those places are getting too dangerous or expensive, the population is staying put and more and more are buying homes here.

Currently I'm renting a 2 bed 2 bath condo and getting fleeced for $1250 a month split between myself and my fiancé.

I know it's too expensive for our combined take home pay of 4000, but landlords REALLY hate pets here due to the university kids habits of getting a pet and then abandoning it or letting it piss everywhere, and since we have two cats, we have to pay extra.

The house flipping is mainly centred around the older north side of town. Many houses there were built in the 50s and need repairs. They are also incredibly tiny houses on huge lots of land. Expansions are going up or the old run down houses are getting torn down and new split duplexes going up in their place.

More and more immigrants are also arriving here as the Phillipinos are filling in the fast food labor spots and many Africans and mexicans are being hired to work the nearby farm and ranches. When they get their citizenship they want to stay in town so they too are buying up spots.

It is a pretty healthy economy going on all in all. Most of the roads are still poo poo despite the money we pour into infrastructure maintenance.

I feeling that if development keeps up that we will start to see high rises being made eventually to accommodate greater lower income populations.

Now if only I could get that bridge from the west side to the far south so I wouldn't have to drive across and through town to get to work.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
At least we have an art centre now right? I mean, that will help with the congestion in the park.

Priorities man!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I wonder what a graph of median wages looks like. Bet it doesn't compete with that growth.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Well clearly there's high demand and a short supply otherwise the price wouldn't be that high. Markets people, markets. Perhaps Nelson is the 2nd best place on earth?

Maybe to get your frozen rear end eaten by a starving grizzly.

Nelson: The Best Place Outdoors!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
30 year old 2 bedroom apartments with in suite laundry is going for $1000 here. It's brutal

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm not sure why the cold fusion reactor is so hilarious. The science is there, just a matter of trial and error. Even if THEY can't get it right at least their science will contribute to the of the research.

Getting business and private enterprises to invest in fusion is the way to get the best and brightest involved.

That's part of why neighbourhood nuclear power plants can be a thing.

I'd totally install one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Rime posted:

D-Wave is legit, they actually have built a quantum computer. Lockheed bought it, even.

General Fusion is...questionable.

Fair enough. I haven't done any research beyond that I heard that there was a company in BC trying to set something up.