Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

I think it's great that stratas are banning renters. This should help bring down prices as they're reducing investment yield to zero. With more building policies like this, you wouldn't need to introduce nonsense policies to limit foreign ownership.

It would be a good idea if the rental vacancy rate wasn't already at an all time low...but as it stands rental prices are really high and banning renters will push them even higher. If anything I would think it should be the other way around, they should encourage renting out condos because it's pretty retarded that we have a condo surplus and a rental shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

You'd think the vacancy rate would drive rents up considering how high the price to income ratio is.

Sorry I thought you were talking about toronto originally so I don't know how vancouver is, but yes rents are also at an all time high here in toronto because of the vacancy rate.

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 14, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah I was constantly getting told by cabbies that their credit card machines weren't working so one day when I called one I asked the dispatcher if she could get me one that definitely has working credit or debit machine because I didn't have cash, and she told me that they all had working machines that got checked pretty often, and if the machine's not working you're entitled to a free ride.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

That's a dumb analogy, people don't look at a 20 year old house in the city the same way they do a 94 honda civic or whatever. That maybe applies to the very richest people buying houses who just have to have trendy homes. It's a good book though and I agree with the general idea that houses are bad investments, but not because people won't want to buy them in the future.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Ok, say that someone knew when it would burst. How could you use that knowledge to become rich? Buying and selling at the right time? Or perhaps short selling mortgage backed securities if those things are still out there?

I'm pretty sure you can't short-sell MBSs in Canada because they're guaranteed by the federal government under CMHC. You could always short housing etfs, REITs (enjoy paying dividends), construction companies, brokerages, etc. if you knew the crash was gonna be bad enough.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

My current place I needed a letter from my employer, 3 character references, the contact details for my current landlord for a reference, and a credit check. They tried to ask me for $75 for the credit check and I managed to convince them that I could just log in to equifax and show them on my phone. They said someone faked theirs before so they didn’t trust me just sending them the PDF.

It was an insane amount of hoops to jump through imo but it was a very good price for a TO rental so I did it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

evilpicard posted:

I've rented in Toronto, yes you need a credit report, proof of income and your old addresses but no you do not need a letter from your landlord - that's some 1700's Russian level of serfdom we aren't at yet (barely)

I've had to do it for my last 3 places, it's pretty common both here and in other cities. It may not be required for Landlords to request it, so not all of them do, but as far as I can tell it is a legal option for them: https://stepstojustice.ca/questions/housing-law/what-information-can-landlord-ask-me-when-i-apply-place/
Usually they just ask for contact details, not a letter, and reach out to the landlord directly so that you can't forge it.

Even if asking for a Landlord reference wasn't allowed, what can you even do about it at the application stage? If you say no they can just go with another applicant.

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 12, 2021