Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

MeinPanzer posted:

I'll just quote myself from last time this came up in the thread:

It's not a matter of believing that Canadian standards are better than those abroad; it's a matter of ensuring consistency across the medical system to prevent problems. For example, a patient is being treated for a complex illness by multiple doctors. Doctor A, trained in India, prescribes a patient medication X, while doctor B, from Brazil where medication X isn't common, prescribes them medication Y. Doctor B didn't realise that medication X causes negative side-effects when taken with medication Y, and then you've got a problem. A comprehensive exam and/or standardized training is the only way to avoid these kinds of issues within a medical system.

The artificial restrictions on admissions to med schools and residencies is bullshit though.

While I get the point overall, this specific scenario is the entire reason for pharmacists. Someone with several conditions that require different treatments will have doctors with little familiarity with each others' domains, and the pharmacist is meant to provide more horizontal knowledge and triple check for possible interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

It's so completely mind-boggling that all I can figure is that the provincial government thinks (understandably) that people don't understand how property taxes work and it will make people think that they're doing something nice for them to increase affordability? And they can blame cities for raising rates? I have no idea

Conservatives think taxes and the government are bad, and so the people they elect want to starve and worsen government services so their wealthy Captain of Private Industry friends can make a buck shoveling rubble. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Eventually there will be a kind of mortgage where you're just paying rent to the bank after a large downpayment, and there are fewer restrictions on what you can do and when you might get kicked out, but you're responsible for things that a landlord would normally take care of.

As I type this out, it seems like that wouldn't be all bad, as long as we're honest about what's going on.

Sounds a lot like one of those 75-year-amortized mortgages I've been hearing about.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I personally love snaking back and forth on Queen Street to get to the right of the trams, and then to the left of the million and one parked cars, then to the right of people turning left, etc., because having street parking on the four-lane main road is clearly optimal.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Must be pretty slow on housing news if we're talking about bike lanes.

Bike lanes are on topic because they are the house for my car, when I am not driving it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I wish more people understood our economy is essentially a bidding system. Those with the most money get their needs met first and will always outbid those with less. When you artificially restrict the supply of anything, the supply that does exist will cater to those top bidders first. If we only allowed 10,000 cars a year to be sold in Canada, its not going to be a mix of car types. And it's going to see even lovely rusty garbage old used cars skyrocket in value. If you suddenly allow way more cars you'll start to get cheaper models produced once the "luxury" market is soaked, plus used cars will start to come down in price. This is all super well studied stuff but there's been this whole cult-like movement that would create insane mental gymnastics and pseudo-economics as to why it doesn't apply for housing.

right, but those people EARNED their more money, fair and square, by... uh... working hard? so it's all working as intended!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I do think public bids would go a ways towards deflating that gap between asking and accepted. When we were buying in 2021, the accepted logic was that the going price would be 100-150k above asking, but you never got any sense at all of what others were actually bidding, just the winner.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

A bunkie is a tiny house on the same property as a normal house, like a detached in-law suite or habitable shed. Imagine turning your illegal 6-plex into a 7-plex!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

This would drive people to actually use their garages for cars instead of hoarding uses. The streets would be freed up for better uses.

This continues to blow my mind in a country with this much snow. My in-laws have NEVER parked their car in their two-car garage because it's too full of very neatly-tetrised detritus.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

I always thought we were bad about having too much stuff because we have clutter in our 800 sq foot house, but as we house hunt I'm actually astonished by how much poo poo people have. Like almost every house has a large storage room in the basement, on top of the mechanical room and laundry room being full of storage, on top of under the stairs being full of at the rage, on top of the garage being full of storage. And then literally not one but TWO backyard sheds again completely full. Plus an attic completely full of storage. The inspector for a place I recently looked at even noted that the attic of the garage was so full that the structure was unsafe.

Lol yeah seeing inside strangers' houses while househunting was eye-opening. We looked at a place where literally the entire basement was filled with boxes of poo poo, including literally touching the furnace. Extremely yikes.

As somebody who has moved like 12 times in my life, I can't even imagine what could be in there.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

man, a lot of temporarily-embarrassed “entrepreneurs” wailing about Freeland killing innovation in Canada (along with a lot of people whose were already massively financially successful and whose lives will not be altered by a small increase in overall cap gains taxation)

like what the gently caress, you win the lottery and sell your company for $100M to you, paid all at once in a single tax year because you’re naive as all hell and so was your acquirer. you end up with $63M instead of $73M. it’ll be fine, you’ll be fine, suck it up you dumb baby

Ahhh "innovation." I wonder if those guys realize that there are, in fact, a lot of challenges that don't need any "innovation" to solve. Like, the reason we don't have houses and jobs is not that we haven't innovated enough, it's that we used to build houses and have labor unions.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mantle posted:

Why can't "people that pay mortgages" sell their properties if they can't pay their mortgages?

Why can't "people wose landlord keeps raising rents" just move if their rent is so high?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Justin Trudeau actually managed to solve my own personal housing affordability, thanks to having high income, no assets, low cost of living area , high taxes, and a spouse but no kids I was able to make a down payment magically appear and get a mortgage that is cheaper than rent. I love neoliberalism now!

same, except the loving neoliberalism part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

T.C. posted:

Get your loving act together, local business magazine. The number of people has to equal the age.

God damned amateurs

It's tough when there are only 20 entrepreneurs in the whole town, OK?