Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Cultural Imperial posted:

PDE for sure. Definitely analysis. Anything where you see a ton of loving 'i's. Maybe discrete math. Logic beyond what they take for philosophy.

I found discrete 2 difficult compared to other 2nd year math courses, computability/complexity theory was mind-boggling but I got through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Lexicon posted:

How would that work?

twisty logic and bad graphs

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I guess that's true. I can't fathom it myself, as I really enjoy cooking (and eating) fairly-elaborate meals, but I'm probably in the minority at this point.

Nah I'm with you here dude; when I was apartment hunting 4 years back the first thing I looked at was the kitchen. oven/stove suck? Not enough counter space? lovely small fridge? No drat thanks.

Second thing was bedroom space, so these new tiny spaces are anathema to me.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

swagger like us posted:

It does depend if you're living with a partner. I know the simple fact of having enough room to enter and exit the bed on both sides of it, and each side having a bedside table/drawer is a nice plus for a couple on a queen size bed. When I lived by myself though, I definitely just wanted a tiny cubby hole with space for a closet and drawers. Thats essentially what I live in now till I move in with the gf in September.

Pretty much this. Also I keep my bookshelves in the bedroom.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

When I think 'middle-class' I don't tend to think 'wears $400 pairs of pants'

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

This is loving awesome.

that looks like SFU Burnaby

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I would not want to live there, it looks like a nightmare to navigate, but maybe the inside is actually simple and straightforward?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

peter banana posted:

Does anyone have a good idea of what will happen once this housing bubble pops or deflates or whatever? Are we going right into a recession a la the States?

derivative industries are going to go out of business, people's retarded 'retirement plans' will be gone overnight forcing them to keep working, restricting the job market. Consumer spending will go down which will impact employment and earnings in consumer sectors (restaurants, retail, etc), corporations might get spooked and try to cut costs by hiring less and laying people off. Other bad poo poo. Any way you look there's pain in the future, especially for folks who don't have guaranteed employment or many job options as it is.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Even if housing stays at a permanently high plateau - it strikes me as an awful lot of the economy dedicated to debt repayment as opposed to actual wealth creation or hell, consumption that drives other incomes.

I forgot about that, not sure how I could though. That so much of the economy is driven by cheap credit elevates the 'shits gonna be bad' outlook from probable to terrifyingly certain. A whole bunch of people who largely don't deserve to are going to suffer come the end of this nonsense :(

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

that's good advice for those privileged enough to have post-secondary education and presumably not be crushed by debt from that, but is not so terribly useful to, say, the working poor who don't, can't, and possibly have no thoughts of owning a house and yet are still going to be thoroughly hosed by any kind of economic collapse.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

If you guys value your current life styles so much, then my advice will be worthless.

you haven't answered my question from earlier really. What about those who are too poor to simply up and move? What about people toeing the poverty line?

You have the tendency, occasionally, to post that you cannot wait for the crash to come - namely because you want those responsible (largely for engaging in behaviour that encourages this kind of situation) to suffer. Do you feel any empathy for those who will suffer despite not being responsible?

Because you come across and crassly removed from any such thoughts.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Not knowing anything else about it, what kind of qualifications/previous merit does she possess that offsets her being a corrupt scumbag?

Do you have some information that points to her being a corrupt scumbag? Do you think she's lying about her ex-husband misleading her about how the vacations were being paid for?

Because the article at least says that she's repaid the expenses herself, despite not knowing about them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Whiskey Sours posted:

Holy gently caress:

uh:

http://skeena.en.craigslist.ca/apa/4405644540.html

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

brucio posted:

Wait, how can you have 48% office and 74% service?

I was wondering this - I think it's another geographical stat rather than an employment stat (like, 48% of the jobs in toronto are in an area of office buildings?) but I'm not sure.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not really a financial guy, but isn't income income? Doesn't matter if it's my boss giving me a wage, my mom giving me 5,000 for looking after the house for a month, or a long forgotten uncle leaving me a massive bag of cash with a dollar sign on the side? It's all "me getting money", it's incoming money, income.

If I get $500,000 in an inheritance that should be taxed just as if my boss decided to pay me 500k that year. What am I missing that would make this bad?

presumably labor and some kind of contract but I'm not a finance guy either, and I agree with you besides.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rime posted:

CP to reactivate arbutus freight line.

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

I hope they run empty box cars up and down it all night long, braking frequently, and blowing the whistle at every single crossing (as is legally required, after all). Absolutely cannot wait to see the NIMBY mouth frothing towards a rail line which predates the existence of the City of Vancouver. :allears:

I was kind of hoping to get a community garden in along a totally barren stretch of that near 16th ave, like they have along 6th near Cypress, ah well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

might as well sell it with children

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rime posted:

Those incentives currently exist, and have resulted in homeowners building 250sqft favelas that they then try to rent for $2000+ a month.

The idea of someone not buying a property because they can't just tear it down and fill it entirely with a mcmansion, rather than enforced mixed density, is a positive thing for the lower mainland, that's exactly the outcome I was proposing.

Hell, at this point I'd be in favor of a 100% moratorium on issueing permits for single family dwellings in Metro Van.

Yeah, density needs to be increased - and as far as I know there's been major push-back from homeowners at the very idea of lane-way housing as somehow devaluing properties, never-mind any kind of regulations forcing the building of such properties.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

But preferably a change in government policy or something.

hahah

I predict (more of) a return to feudalism first

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

uh we have mountains and have you seen how great the housing marke-- wait, poo poo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

why bother putting it like that then? Toeing the line?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Serious question: how do we fix this poo poo in the least painful way? How do we deflate the bubble without totally destroying the economy and completing screwing over a vast majority of "home owners" ? Or at least how do we do it in the way that will have the least overall negative effects on society, and then how do we keep it from happening again?

I guess the depressing thing is that even if there was a clear best way of going about fixing out housing situation, no one will do it because they'll be blamed for "causing a housing crash" even if their policies avoid what would have been a much much worse situation later.

This is really a situation where democracy ensures people will continue to only vote in leaders that support the bubble as so many voters depend on the bubble. Anyone trying to deflate or pop the bubble, even if it's in everyone's long term interest, will be met with violent opposition.

introduce restrictions on lending, increase wages to ease reliance on credit, expand social safety-nets for those who cannot survive as is and would be inordinately harmed by an economic collapse, some other stuff a more educated person could no doubt include as well

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

there will be many more people who suffer and are destroyed by the greed of others.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ultimatums and judgement: the height of friendship

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The one thing I think a housing crash might do is cause social programs to be enhanced and a renewed interest in such. Or it will result in austerity measures because gently caress the poor and all those lazy people buying too much house.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

"Just wait, you'll see!" is not a very compelling argument

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mexplosivo posted:

Can you help me out here please?

if the banks are doing anything like those in the US were leading up to 2008 they are repackaging those as investments and selling them en-mass to large financial entities like hedge funds and pensions and such.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Presumably this poo poo is 'insured' with CDSs. What happens when that sweet sweet tranche of poo poo-assed mortgages goes to hell?

e: i mean sold as 'insurance'

well if AIG is anything to go by, 2008 happens

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rime posted:

Holy hell. If they put the taxpayer on the hook like that again for this next round, I hope we guillotine some fuckers. :stare:

it's a social program. These are good things for government to endorse, period. In this case they were helping idiots that probably should have had the money (and sense) to fix the problem themselves, but it's a social program none-the-less.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rime posted:

I see no reason to subsidize corner cutting developers, and bail out buyers too stupid to be trusted with large sums of money, in a province with the highest child poverty rates in the country (among all our other incredibly ill-funded social issues).

I agree that this could encourage future corner-cutting in developers which is lamentable. However, allowing homeowners to keep owning a home rather than be drowned under debt is hardly deplorable behavior, even if there are more pressing issues that both you and I would rather see the money go towards. Creating more homelessness and debt issues would hardly help the latter in any event.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The reason I don't see this as a terrible attempt at a social program is that the government ought not to be in the business of making money off of the misery of their citizens, and it's a little disturbing how the problem some of you seem to have wasn't necessarily the loans themselves, but that they're interest-free. Presumably there are still conditions on paying back those loans, which there should be, but as a social assistance program the government at worst loses some money due to inflation - how much more would stand to be lost in the case of massive foreclosures and the resulting fallout?

As for the buyers, I don't really see the point of emphasizing that every single one of them is an idiot - even if they are taking on debt to own the issue is that this was, by and large, a problem many of them could reasonably not expect to encounter - unless you have proof that a vast amount of them were not getting inspections, or ignoring the results of them?

And helping this or that group does not necessarily impact the governments ability to help others.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Lexicon posted:

It sure seems that way. I'd cover my rear end this way also (remembering, of course, that the central purpose of any organization, however altruistic, is to perpetuate its own existence indefinitely).

It's not really damaging to this statement, but this is somewhat hampered by the (relatively) recent concept of people high up in the executive chain being far more interested in their own personal gains than the company they might not be working for in 5 years.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

because largely the discourse about ownership vs. renting breaks down to an ephemeral 'but then you own where you live' when it's pointed out that renting is largely cheaper, and that the concept of 'losing' the money you pay for rent is nonsense

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I kind of still read this thread because I kind of share the view that house prices will probably fall, but most of the posts here are some variant of "the only moral privatized profit/socialized cost is MY privatized profit/socialized cost" or "look at how some Chinese people are dumb assholes, the country should only allow in whites who have never been dumb or assholes ever.". This thread has pretty much convinced me to never go to Vancouver, ever, much less live there, regardless of how much houses cost.

cool, means I'll never run the risk of running into you here, idiot

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

1) You cannot be kicked out on your landlord's whim.

luckily this isn't the case when you're renting either!

quote:

2) You can redecorate and renovate as you please.
You can largely do this in rental properties as well, as opposed to (to pick something out of the air) condos, where you might be blocked by a strata council.

quote:

3) You don't have to consider the possibility of a rent increase occurring every year.
This is anecdotal, but I know how much you love anecdotes: my rent has increased once in 4 years, and has a limit in how much it can increase

quote:

4) You can do what you want in your own dwelling, including "owning pets" and "smoking."
Many rental properties exist that allow both of these. Many owned properties (condos) exist that do not.

quote:

5) You have greater privacy rights.
lol

I get the impression your 25 year old self has never rented. But I also think you're a dunce most of the time, so don't worry too much about it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Aren't rental properties in calgary suffering from such a crunch right now due to the floods? Or is the lack of rental property a long-lived problem there?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

If you cannot hack it in loving Victoria I wouldn't try to head to any other city (because you are deeply incapable of dealing with others)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's an excellent city to just sort of chill in, maybe get an education, maybe retire. If you have any aspirations or need for work you'll have to move on though. But if you find an ok little gig that pays the bills it's a pretty ok place.

that's true. The few friends I have that still live there are holding on despite not being able to do anything in their career path because they just love it there so much. There's a lot to love though, I get out to the Island as much as possible.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

THC posted:

I just paid off my student loan which brings me to a staggering zero percent :smugbert:

now you just need to finish :v:

nice work man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yeah I'm around 8k/year out here in BC (and that's with some summer courses).

Wanna get done as fast as you can because they keep hiking credit hour costs each year!