Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Buybacks are more common than I had thought, huh, but anyway they don’t always increase stock price

and companies generally don’t pay a premium over the market for the stock they buy back, so you’re again at “someone else will want to pay more than I did for it”, but “someone else” can include the company itself. The company may have its stock price increase because it will increase EPS, generally taken as a sign of increased financial health but in this case not really indicating such, but the price increase is often quite temporary. And companies generally, to my knowledge, do not announce price targets or commit to a buyback plan over the long term (one reason they’re preferred over issuing dividends: easier expectation management of shareholders), so you are again gambling not just on how the company might use “excess cash”, but how the market (of speculators) will react if they use it for a buyback.

Dividends and buybacks are “priced in” to the extent that the market is perfectly efficient in operation and distribution of information, which is to say entirely theoretically. Splits don’t increase the value of a company, but they more often lead to share price increases than decreases, similarly. The value of publicly traded shares is influenced more by prediction of others’ behaviour than by anything that flows from a pretty economic principle. Public stocks swing wildly during periods where there is no materially new information about the company…except for recent changes in its stock price. loving momentum, man, who believes this poo poo?

If you’re buying a stock in order to benefit from a future stock buy back, you’re lying to yourself just as much as if you bought in hopes that a dividend would be offered in the future. (Or you’re insider trading.)

I mean, not that some companies don't run themselves like a lottery ticket, but if a Google (as an example) had decided to pay off most of their cash flow as a dividend instead of re-investing in themselves to grow the business when they became a public entity, I think its safe to say that would have been the more devastating choice for shareholders compared to the reality of what happened. Albeit maybe the better outcome for society depending on how you feel about Google I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU