Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I have a pretty good theory that the toronto housing bubble is funded entirely by drug money laundering. I also have no proof but history will be the judge. When your mayor is involved in crack trafficking its a pretty good bet the reach of trafficking syndicates has reached its peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

etalian posted:

ha ha

Rental condo in a college town is a recession proof investment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owswcmoBHM8

the canadian housing market is literally based on childrens doodles and arbitrary made up numbers

i have to say this is the most honest condo advertisement i've seen

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Almost 20 years ago, 800/month was what you paid to live in the mcgill ghetto (on rachel). For a 4 bedroom.

edit: Compared to today's rates in Montreal, that's actually not an unreasonable increase.

Yes it is.

It's also hilarious considering Waterloo's largest employer is blackberry, a company that is regularily laying off thousands of people every month. The Waterloo real estate market can't go anywhere but up! Choo choo, all aboard the millionaire train!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Guy DeBorgore posted:

I still live in Waterloo and this is a really skewed view of the rental market. Yeah single-room sublets are super cheap compared to apartments, that's because you're subletting a single room. Those are both big compromises that come with a bunch of downsides.

So when it comes to apartments, you're not just competing with other students (as with sublets) but you're also competing with actual families who need a place to live. A 1-bedroom apartment (not a 1-room bachelor pad, an apartment) in Waterloo starts at $800/month and goes up quickly. That video said the dude was renting his condo for $1600/month, obviously that's a stretch (it is a blatant sales pitch after all) but not totally outlandish. Sure you were a poor student when you were living here but not everyone in the city is.

RIM's downfall hasn't hurt the tech sector as much as you'd think, there's still Google and SAP and D2L and Kik (and that's just the tech companies I can name off the top of my head). But yeah I guess that if you're not working there, or at one of the other major employers in the region, or working at one of the universities, or unless you're studying, or unless you actually grew up here like some of us did, there's no reason to live in Waterloo.

All of you are missing the important part, it hardly matters what the rent is. At best it covers carrying costs for investors. The important number is the market value of the unit and it's appreciation. The idea of a condo in Waterloo increasing in market value to the tune of 6+% every year like that advertisement is suggesting is hilarious. These people are buying 3 bedroom student rental condos for 360k in a real estate market where the average detached home is less than 300k. It makes no loving sense whatsoever. Students have NO EFFECT on the real estate market in a city.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Real estate is all about making up random numbers and hoping you somehow wildly profit from it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

my favorite thing is looking at this chart every month and deciding where we are now

im thinking somewhere between "new paradigm" and "denial"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

There's definite upgrade and renovation expenses associated with older housing. It's not trivial. Even if you're just talking about appliances and utilities.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/h...?service=mobile

Globe story about millenials buying poo poo they can't afford. Love the anecdote about the guy with a house who has to rent out 4 bedrooms to make ends meet. Dumb gently caress.

My god, that article and the framing are bizarre.

If you read it critically, it's not about "buying poo poo they can't afford". It's about much worse off young people are than their parents.

-They live in condos instead of houses because they can't afford houses
-They don't have cars because they can't afford them
-They have debt because they're poor and have student loans
-They don't save because you can't save when you're loving broke

Every one of these things can be explained by People are not making as much money as they were and essentials like housing are really loving expensive now. Yet somehow the conclusion is "oh those whacky millenials! they just love moving around and going from job to job and taking the bus because they're free spirits!" What the gently caress?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Whiteycar posted:

I don't know how you can even take it as "Whacky Millenials" when the 3rd line is

Kind of sets the tone as here how they are coping with it.

That's a quote and the next sentence is a snide one line "Her interpretation." qualifier from the writer.

Perhaps you are one of those people that considers themselves fortunate not to be tied down by things like "job security" and "benefits".

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

London or New York have to be the most dystopian hell holes for any lower class person. The percent of people who graduate with a professional degree and may benefit from moving halfway around the world is so low you might as well be giving advice to people to "work harder".

This is not good advice.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

PT6A, stop making every thread about cheese, it's annoying as gently caress.

Today's dose of schadenfreude: Condo price drop vaporizes couple’s life savings

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Pixelboy posted:

What policy changed in 2010?

Interest rates, among other things:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

etalian posted:

cheap credit is pretty much the only way to make a home price bubble "affordable"

I liked the mortgage as percentage of bank assets since it shoots down the argument that better capitalization would make the bubble crash not as bad.
Yup banks could survive without a bailout when almost half of their assets go underwater in the span a of few months, not mention other thinks like HELOC total credit
getting sucked out of the economy.

It's not the banks that would be in trouble, it's the government. The mortgages are mostly insured.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Check out @BenRabidoux's Tweet: https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/476747285758357504

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a Canadian politician say.

joe oliver is not only incompetent and stupid, he's now in a position to gently caress things up in a very extreme way

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Lexicon posted:

But he's... right, isn't he? Assuming central bank independence (possibly a big assumption these days) and given that banks finance mortgages from the bond market - the 'government' - that is, the Dept of Finance, doesn't set interest rates or rates for mortgages.

What am I missing?

the bank of canada is a part of the government

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

raise interest rates

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's sort of like how the minister of health can't barge into a hospital and start prescribing treatments. Yes the it's a government hospital and he's the minister of health but there's certain levels of independence and a "chain of command" that doesn't really see or allow this level of micro-management. I believe the BoC is the same way. Yes it's a government institution but it's supposed to be left alone so the "experts" there can do their jobs. Of course just like a health minister can't barge into a hospital and start demanding the doctors replace insulin with homeopathic sugar memory water, he could over time press enough of his own "levers" within the ministry of health that saw that result. But of course there'd be huge push-back from the doctors and hospitals which would most likely destroy the career of and unseat that minister. Once again, from what I understand, a finance minister has even less direct control over the BoC and if he was to demand something extreme or insane there would be significant pushback, but if the minister/government wants to see something happen within the BoC they absolutely do have the power to bot officially and unofficially push things in the direction they want.

\/ All I know is that we can't get rid of our "mortgage subsidies" because then none of our working class could live in houses they'd all have to live in tenements and the next thing you know harper has to spend a fortune building huge stone machine gun towers all over the country.

It's really not the same as the minister of health and their relationship with hospitals at all. Economic policy is not the same as medical science. Any minister of finance saying the government shouldn't be dictating fiscal policy is useless and should lose his job, because that's what his job is.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Except this would be monetary policy, not fiscal.

whatever

I really don't care if you guys are libertarians and sincerely believe the government shouldn't interfere with the market. But I hope you actually realize this is what you are arguing for.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

"every realtor ive ever dealt with" = 1, one time

because you are a 20 year old idiot who trolls with absurd anecdotes about your lame non existant experiences that apply to absolutely nothing

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

I've only attended a few CivicAction meetings in Toronto, but I can tell you that the problem in Toronto isn't just "retarded" managers. It's a lack of clarity on where density will be that can guarantee that kind of farebox a profitable system needs, and it's a lack of will at upper levels of government to bite the bullet.

The ttc is an amazingly efficient system for how little money it operates on. Asking why it "sucks" is like asking why a starving child is having trouble becoming a pro athlete. It's a stupid question to begin with because the answer is so obvious.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The sale of businesses during boom times and purchasing them for cheap during downturns has made governments heaps of money. See US gov't profit on TARP funds from 2008: http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-WB-42000

This doesn't include the profits that the fed other central banks have made through QE and other related programs. http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2012/11/monetary-policy-4

Significant institutions not developed by the government which are best in class globally:

http://vcn.bc.ca/pmmuseum/Programs/Building%20the%20Trans%20Canada%20Railroad.pdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banking_in_Canada

See also the oil sands

the agricultural industry

mining

steelmaking

Shipping

The Canadian tech industry

Examples of things the government sold before the industry devolved into a complete shitpile thus avoiding significant liabilities:
Air Canada

Other stuff they've sold:
CN Rail (solid money maker but declining industry with escalating capital investment); has done well as a public company in spite of stiff competition / substitution
Petro-Canada (created as a policy tool by Trudeau, left to its own devices and subsequently spun out at great profit by subsequent governments, particularly at times when those governments were paying off debts)

As I mentioned earlier, they're currently considering spinning out CMHC due in part to the significant moral hazard it represents as noted by some people in this thread.

lol the transcanada railway was "not developed by government"? Shipping industry? Banking? oil sands? mining? agricultural? Are you loving seriously claiming these industries developed privately? Do you have any loving clue how resource development and infrastructure gets built?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

there are so many weird racist undertones and stupid generalizations in that "article"

edit: the highlight for me was his idea for a 10 year tax vacation for small businesses (of which he is an owner)

RBC fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 26, 2014

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Rime posted:

Vancouver condo, valued at $370K, sells for just $1,647 — before city council cancels the sale

Suuuuuuuuure they were. :rolleyes:

I still struggle to understand the level of white guilt that people like you must be struggling under, to look at a paragraph like that and twist it into racism rather than "yeah, you know what, that's a pretty accurate statement."

I mean, he doesn't even touch on the fact that these people will be coming back to Canada to retire on our medical and social assistance programs, after a lifetime of not paying a dime into the system. :jerkbag:

Because it's a gross generalization about a specific race of people without any facts to paint them in a derogatory manner. That's the definition of racism. You can call it xenophobia, if you prefer.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Rime posted:

I'm sure the people who leap to the defence of the Chinese have just the most wonderful things to say about First Nations as well, behind closed doors of course.

What the gently caress is this? Some kind of drive by implication that because I'm against racist generalizations of "foreigners" i'm racist against first nations?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

A buddy of mine and I used to marvel at those people. No matter how much they made it was all gone, like the proverbial welfare Wednesday spending spree. However we just concluded their role in the world was to make sure the worlds economy continued to function while allowing us to not buy a lot of crap.
Ye
I salute you over-spenders.

I would probably tone down the loathsome talk until they start having $300 monthly expenses for throwing empty bottle at homeless people, or memberships at the dwarf tossing range. They are wealthy idiots, not Pol Pot.

What's funny to me is that rich people are almost always worse at managing their money than the working poor. There's little incentive to budget when you can blow half a grand on wine in a month and still meet all your other expenses. The working poor on the other, would be hosed if they didn't know how much exactly they can spend on groceries before cutting into rent money. Many white collar professionals are essentially children that never learn to spend like adults because they've always had money in the bank.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

Keeping rates low seems deliberate in order to devalue the loonie, and get exports moving again.

ZIR probably won't last too much longer as they don't need to devalue our dollar THAT much. (And bonds will rise on their own anyways, screwing the 5-year mortgage crowd.)

The moment rates go up the canadian economy is going to start collapsing because it's a house of cards built on cheap debt. Interest rates have little effect to no effect on the value of the dollar and the BoC is basically crossing its fingers hoping other sectors of the economy will improve before they have to increase rates.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

There are multiple "alternative financial organizations" that will also finance your mortgage down payment so you can effectively buy a house with 0% down.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

It's my understanding, based on family that I have in Berlin, that long-term tenants in Germany also have more rights with regards to making improvements to rental properties, and otherwise being reasonably free of landlord interference.

Compare this with Calgary, where residents of one of the buildings affected by the blackout were told not to buy perishable food until agents of the landlord had "inspected their fridge." The inspections will be starting tomorrow, I believe they said. I don't believe in any bullshit about "pride of ownership" but I do believe in being able to tell anyone who wants in to my apartment to gently caress themselves.

Perhaps you should stop being one of the poors and join the ranks of proud homeowners. If you don't actually own the property where you live, how can you expect to have any rights?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

that room is smaller than a prison cell

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

It's funny that literally all the problems laid out on this page are caused by capitalism and could also be solved by smashing it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

That's not unusual, you're banking on the lendee paying back the debt over a period of time, not all at once. On a micro level it's not really an issue.

But when your whole population is taking on that much debt, it's a problem. It indicates a population that is not planning for the future and is over leveraged.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

It's pretty diverse but any real estate crash would have a huge impact, because it's interconnected with so many industries. Construction, finance, manufacturing would all experience shocks. Demand for housing will most certainly fall when workers get laid off and salaries decline.

The danger in the Toronto area specifically is that there is so much construction going on that entire projects could get cancelled mid-construction (it's happened MANY times before) and you could have huge surpluses of residential and commercial space if demand drops off. Empty buildings and building sites are really bad and lead to very long recovery times.

RBC fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2015

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

melon cat posted:

I feel the same way. Toronto's still seen has the immigrant gateway to the country, so there will always be steady demand for Toronto housing. I think that the same thing applies to the contiguous suburbs, too. There won't be a "crash", but prices will temporarily stabilize at some point.

I think it's the other, less-populous CMAs that are more like to see a major correction in their housing markets, eg. Calgary, Oshawa, London, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Windsor, K-W, and Barrie to name a few.

That's not to say that the GTA's housing market isn't over-inflated and wacky as hell. It definitely is. But people will do anything to make sure the mortgage for their house in the GTA gets paid. So even if rates go up people will make sure the mortgage gets paid, even if it means completely eliminating their non-mortgage budgets ("Boiled hot dogs for dinner! Again! And also for breakfast!").

In the early 1990s there was a real estate crash and Toronto actually suffered worse than the rest of the province. There's no reason it can't happen again. "Immigration" as a catch all to prop up demand in a falling market doesn't work.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

melon cat posted:

You're missing a crucial part of that chart you referenced- even though there were corrections in the Canadian housing market, the overall trend for house prices is upward. It's the exact same trend you'd see in any stock index. You've got your peaks, valleys, but it's more-or-less upward movement.

So what? I'm arguing there will be a crash. You said there wouldn't be because "toronto" and "immigrants".

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

This massive condo development in Toronto was just cancelled and is - get this - being replanned as rental apartments: http://www.thestar.com/business/real_estate/2015/01/27/builder-quietly-cancels-condo-complex.html

According to the developers, people want to pay for actually well managed rental apartments, instead of renting a condo from a shady overseas landlord. Who would have thought?

Remember when real estate developers were all crowing about how no new rentals would ever be built without condos? What a load of horse poo poo.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

peter banana posted:

hahahahaha, right near my home and work. It's been a hole in the ground for over 2 years now. itshappening.gif.

Edit: OMFG, hilarious:

if you really want a laugh read the urbantoronto thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18032-Kingsclub-Condos(1100-King-W-UrbanCorp-First-Capital-18-14-12s-Tact)/page5

which is full of the typical spoiled UT condo purchasers whining about losing money

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

I'm still lolling at this video linked from the ut kingsclub thread. How stupid do you have to be to buy something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o72fK8XXkQg

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Hey thread, I don't participate because I'm not smart enough but consider this my gift to give a little back to a thread that has entertained and educated me.

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/apa/4865105002.html

:psyduck:

The facebook thread I found this in is full of west-enders detailing the neighbourhood as some kind of defense for a bathless one bedroom.

? There's clearly a bathroom in those photos. That's a pretty nice place at a typical price.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

The kitchen sucks for the price but with utilities included it's not as bad as it looks. I would also say the location (little portugal) is the quickest gentrifying neighbourhood in Toronto right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Rime posted:

Cenovus cut another $700m off their capital expenditures budget.

i really hope this means i wont have to sit through their lovely attempts at brainwashing before i see a movie now