Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

everything is hilariously fine nothing can go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

In other news, the Bank of Canada announces that inflation is below target at 1%

lmfao

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

And people have the loving gall to ask me "why don't you just buy a condo? Start small, y know?"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I viewed a house in october that was an absolute dogshit flip.

Strewn through the house were books... Art of the Deal was placed on the sidetable of the Primary Bedroom. Real Estate Investing For Dummies was on the sidetable of the second bedroom. The Secret was also somewhere in the house.

The house has been sold three times over the last 10 months. First time for 280k second time for 530k, third time for 650k

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Elon only wants to go to Mars because there's no labour laws there at all.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I just want a house to live in with my family and not pay all of my money for it - I'd like our economy not to be reliant on the basics needs in life (food, shelter)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

We are currently entering the death spiral.
More and more of our (stagnating) wages are going to be spent on housing costs (Mortgages, Rent, Food, Heat, Upkeep) and less and less of our wages are going to go to discretionary spending
All service industries and the market that services that discretionary spending will shrink and shrink and shrink

Our GDP will exist solely of Real Estate transactions, food, and plumbing

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Problem is right now rents are skyrocketing up everywhere outside of Toronto as well

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Yes. Capitalism will continue to roll onward without a thought otherwise

Literally everything will be absorbed into Amazon

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

At one point I calculated that were was a realtor in Toronto for every 106 people or something.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

We gave up in December - it's giving me anxiety even just thinking about how far away the market is from that point.

This province is in loving shambles.

Houses going for 700k in areas where the average household income is slightly above 60k.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Oh my god could you imagine if housing prices dropped 25%!?

By god they'd be returned back to... 2020 prices!!!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Realtors love blind bidding because they can just make poo poo up and say there's another offer on the table and get a quick 4000$ boost in commission.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Lobok posted:

that's if wages increase along with the price of everything.

haha good joke

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

"Ownership transfer costs—mostly real estate commissions—accounted for an astonishing 2.5 per cent of Canada’s overall economic activity, Rabidoux notes."

Hahaha hahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

oh my god this loving government

lmao oh god

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

RBC posted:

I was more just pointing out how insane prices have gotten. And just how much the government just absolutely does not care.

ive seen upwards of 10x average household income in guelph lmao

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Love looking at the impending future of living like a serf in a g7 country lmao

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

loving hell - Billion dollar development groups going to become the new Landed Gentry. SCI-FI got it all wrong, we aren't doing PMC countries, we're doing Trillion Dollar Landed Gentry Companies carving out land for themselves.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This is why the conservatives plan of opening up regulations is going to fail - Uncle George (or the billion dollar hedgefund company) is going to get their 13th property (or 760th) before cousin Jane gets her first.

If there's no incentive to sell to a first time home buyer, the already landed will continue to amass more and more land.

There needs to be reform and controls in all this - Create incentives to sell to a first time home buyer, reform realtor procedures, reform tax code for more than 2 properties. Remove most incentives for hoarding properties.

gently caress it. New rule: If you sell to a first time home buyer, you are exempt from paying capital gains taxes on that property transaction.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

McGavin posted:

You already are exempt from capital gains if it's your primary residence.

Creating an incentive for people with multiple properties to leave the market and reduce people using a basic housing needs as an investment vehicle is the intent.

Like how many times do we hear stories of those poor low-income landlords grousing about how difficult it is to be a landlord; the laws are so against them, but then when you put them to task of selling off their property they're weary about selling it off because of ~ ~ ~ Capital Gains Taxes ~ ~ ~

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 15, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Purgatory Glory posted:

People already use their children to buy propertys to avoid taxes. Also, it's not so much that you can't buy a hoke as much as you can't reasonably rent one either.

yeah i know this but the current solution of providing households that make upwards of 121k usd isn't a solution either

mao had the right idea in the 50s but I generally don't think Justin's going to sign off on that...

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Lmao at someone looking at the landscape we're in and genuinely believing the conservatives will be the ones to "fix" this.

Hah.

Holy poo poo how loving cucked can you be?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/vsualst/status/1416417427856973827

Sustainable.gif

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

half cocaine posted:

Maybe you guys should manage your TFSAs better (PBUH his Holiness Stephen Harper).

:D 0.05% annual interest to the fuckin' MOOOOOOON baby!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

midge posted:

The downside here is the people who have been propping up this bullshit for a decade won't be the ones that lose their *primary* home...nor will it be all that big of a deal for them. It's the desperate folks that, under the circumstances, made a pressured decision and lose everything.

oh no won't someone thinking of the poor helpless defenseless speculators!!?!?!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Boomers are getting together for one last job. One last stab at the greatest concentration of wealth in the country: Housing.

Oceans 1954

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Try to bring up the issue to a lot of people and they'll just blindly state "just move" as if this hasn't impacted literally every town in Ontario.
The only reason why I would "just move" is to get away from idiots who think a micro solution of "just move" would solve the macro problem that is housing affordability of the GTAHKWCBGADTLA (Greater Toronto Area Hamilton Kitchencer Cambridge Brantford Guelph Adjacent Down To London Area)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm half convinced the bubble won't pop - more and more of our GDP will be housing related and then when it finally pops is when climate change will reach a breaking point and we'll be a destination for richugees from climate destroyed countries and it'll continue.

Livin' like a serf in a G7 country lmao

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm fully resigned to renting for the rest of my life. I could buy a condo still but I don't want to own a condo and a house would be wasteful anyway since my partner and I are never having children.

Boomers are now downsizing into the homes that are purpose built for people like you and I. "Starter homes" with 2/3 bed 1 bath are now going for insane amounts of money

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

New post from BlogTO: Can't afford a house in Toronto? Check out these commuter towns near Toronto:
West Guilford
Ingoldsby
Maple Valley
Havelock
Gooderham
and darkhorse pick: Hallebourg

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

London - where you could work for either General Dynamics (or their offshoot suppliers) who sell tanks to Saudi Arabia to use on their populace - or work at Diamond Aircraft and await the next batch of layoffs due in about 18 months or so!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

If you think boomer's and late xers left the world in a state of disrepair oh boy wait til you see their neglected houses.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

New furnaces every 10 years because they can't keep up with the 40 year old leaky as windows they refuse to replace

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

I wonder when governments start doing climate investment in building northern cities.

Trust me - the moment you see the Ontario PC Government or Fed Cons start to build in northern cities it will also be the time you start to see them start to begrudgingly admit it's real. One can't happen without the other.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Crow Buddy posted:

I am curious how you envision governments doing anything of the sort.

I am pretty resigned to doom as I doubt we, as a culture, have the wherewithal to actually do the dramatic things that may allow us to survive. Just building northern cities just doesn’t seem like anything a government could even do. Obviously they can, but I think it would require a complete redesign of how government actually functions to happen. It seems unlikely to be something our current governing structures would support/allow.

:negative:

Literally any billionaire deciding that that area should service a massive factory or warehouse or whatever kicks the ball into motion

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

We're going down the drain - more and more money to be spent on housing either through mortgages and rents will mean less discretionary spending across the board - more article blaming millennials are killing coffee shops, and boutiques when their rent is 60% of their income and they simply cannot afford to do such things as "see a movie" or "spend 80$ on a bespoke shawl"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

evilpicard posted:

My household income is apparently 95%+ percentile and we can't afford to buy a house or have a family probably ever because both of our families are poor and didn't pay for college and downpayments like our more "successful" friends.

Same boat - all by ourselves we're in the 90th percentile in Ontario here and I'm looking to buy in places 100+ km away from Toronto and still can't afford it.

This poo poo's hosed

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.thekickassentrepreneur.com/household-income-percentile-calculator-for-canada/

it's probably garbage data - but still

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

Gotta wonder what happens when interest rates return to 4-5% levels. So many people are on the edge with their mortgages. I'm not sure I believe that the stress test has actually prepared people.

lol we'll literally never see interest rates at 5% ever again (Okay maybe not for like 20 years until all the boomers literally die off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm surprised tenants aren't forced to eat garlic in front of those benevolent landlords to prove they're not a vampire with how unbalanced the vetting is in the tenant vs landlord dynamics