Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Didn't the National Post have an op-ed earlier in May demanding a "market based solution" for Home Capital and telling Morneau to stay out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Well it is kind of ridiculous that a parking spot in a condo can barely fit a Q5. A Camry would have the same trouble in that spot as it's only a few centimetres narrower but is longer overall. If it wasn't for that pillar the spot would probably be OK width wise but it still looks kind of short.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MickeyFinn posted:

This cannot be real.
I'm 50/50 on it being sincere.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah that’s the thing that a lot of people are intentionally overlooking. You can’t set the rent at whatever you want, but people will pay what they can afford. With inflation eating into peoples finances that amount is going to be lower.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Purgatory Glory posted:

Let's be real, it's a Chinese landlord looking for a Chinese student. They get their housing paid for by their parents and don't make a peep. They are also the only ones that would subject themselves to a GPA check because of ignorance of customs here. The ad itself is ignorant of Canadian customs.
It's in Brampton so yeah, probably Indian or Chinese. According to my Indian friend who lives in Milton, it's pretty common to see that in rental ads as it's an easy way to screen out "unwanted applicants".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Even if you get the city to pay attention, there's the problem with the actual enforcement. I remember years ago, the neighbour's of a friend turned their house into an illegal rooming house. Everyone kept complaining and the city would send enforcement officers to investigate but the owners wouldn't give them permission to inspect the property so the enforcement officers couldn't do anything. The police ended up raiding the house becuase someone was selling drugs from it and the owners sold it, it was torn down, and a new house was built.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I read an article a couple of months ago, I think it was in the WSJ, that talked about how much millennials love living with multiple roommates. The article concluded that it’s the “new norm”.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fidelitious posted:

Absolute lol. I would never a sign a purchase contract where the final price is unknown. But I think in general buying pre-construction is a horrendous idea.
There was the other story about a developer who just shut down the project. People had tied up their down payment in it for 2+ years with nothing to show for it but a meagre interest rate while housing had skyrocketed in those 2 years.

It's just way too many unknowns.
There was another case where a developer sold the project to another developer. The new developer cancelled all the contracts told everyone the price of the homes had doubled.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They’re probably thinking they’ll set the price higher so when people bid less than the asking price, the owners will end up getting what they originally wanted.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

There's a pre-ww2 house in my parents' neighbourhood that's for sale at $1.6 million. It's a teardown and is just being sold for the property. The house has been on the market for about 45 days now. A year ago it would have been sold within a week. Someone else listed a similar house, but it has had the interior updated, about a block away for $1.3 million and it's been on the market for about 20 days.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

qhat posted:

I mean they were wrong, but were they really?
Take it for what it's worth, but yesterday I was talking to our chief economist and he said that he's been talking to the chief economists at other Canadian financial institutions and they all agree that house prices will probably drop about 25% over the next year or so. He also said that there will not be any soft landing and that "it'll be pretty hard" and that the market "in general is greatly underestimating the possibility of a recession next year".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Unless everyone diamond hands' their houses, price can't drop if you don't sell
That's true. It'll be interesting to see what happens to houses already on the market. There are two homes in my parents' neighbourhood that have both been for sale for almost 2 months now. They're both teardowns. One is listed for $1.3 million and the other $1.6 million. About 18 months ago a similar home sold for $1.5 million within a week of listing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My parents were talking to a couple of their neighbours that have been trying to sell their homes for over 2 months. One of them said they asked the relator to lower the price but the agent pushed back saying "it would set a bad precedent" and they just needed to "wait out this rough spot".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Oakland Martini posted:

The only way this makes sense is that the realtors themselves are highly leveraged in real estate themselves (which is obviously very likely). How can making no commissions at all for months on end be better than earning a slightly lower-than-normal number of commissions on 2020 prices?
Anecdotally, this definitely seems to be the case. A lot of them are also involved in super sketchy private mortgages and / or "don't worry, we can get anyone approved" mortgage brokers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

Still, 1000sqft that’s basically on top of a subway for under 8, good building, this market is amazing.
I remember when my friend worried that he overpaid when he bought his 1,600 sq ft lake view condo 12 years ago. He paid $416K for it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fidelitious posted:

I refuse to believe someone can fit 5 bedrooms in 1200 sq ft. There would be one other room then excluding bathrooms. Is it a kitchen and then there's no living space at all?

One of my friends has a 3 bedroom condo in downtown Toronto. Two of the bedrooms can barely fit a twin size bed. You need to press yourself against the wall and walk sideways to walk around the bed. I initially thought they were walk in closets and wondered why they put a bed into one of them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RBC said the "housing correction" could be the steepest in over 50 years.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McGavin posted:

lol any correction at all will be the steepest in over 50 years

I hadn't looked up the numbers, but I figured this would be the case.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nice

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m starting to see people in my FB feed freak out about interest rates. Some guy today was posting how if the BoC raises rates to 4% them they’re effectively declaring war on Canadian property owners.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

unknown posted:

Anyone notice the bedroom is actually in the bathroom?
Toilet and shower are in the bedroom but the sink is in the “hallway”.

Was this actually a separate property or did a homeowner split off part of their property to make this?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

qhat posted:

Would you have believed me if I told you that that Condo Chris guy is also anti vaccine and pro-Russia? He’s a verifiable insane person and if it wasn’t for his corrupt profession he’d probably be on a street corner shouting at passers by.
The hat is a huge red flag.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

large hands posted:

Do I want to know what khalistan is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalistan_movement

quote:

The Khalistan movement is a Sikh separatist movement seeking to create a homeland for Sikhs by establishing a sovereign state, called Khālistān ('Land of the Khalsa'), in the Punjab region. The proposed state would consist of land that currently forms Punjab, India and Punjab, Pakistan.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, HELOCs are “the secret” everyone pushes to finance rental properties. Back in the spring, I heard a BMO ad on Spotify that was promoting second mortgages “for that rental property you’ve had your eye on”.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m still hearing ads on the radio for variable rate mortgages that say “it’s possible that interest rates might drop!”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

some of those investors borrowed their investment funds from a line of credit.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I mean, yeah it was a bunch of people hoping to get rich quick but it also speaks to the lack of financial literacy for many people.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I like his defense of "the investors were dumb, what did they expect"

quote:

"Shockingly, it seems that nobody bothered to consider what would happen if the cryptocurrency market plummeted or whether Aiden, as a very young man, was qualified to handle these types of investments," wrote Simaan.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://twitter.com/RE_MarketWatch/status/1573265443707559937

Underpricing by almost 50% and then being amazed at all the offers rolling in and this is news? Are you making GBS threads me?
They're desperate to make it seem like the good old days are back.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wonder what’s going to happen with car payments and repos. I know in the US, delinquency on car payments has been slowly ticking up, but still below pre- pandemic levels. The average car financing period in the US is something like 96 months.

Car payments are fixed so interest rate hikes won’t impact existing payments but they will impact future financings. My sister leased a Jeep a few years ago for $380 a month. The lease is coming due soon and she wanted to lease the same model again. Her new payment would have been $720 a month because of higher interest rates, no negotiation on the vehicle price, and no rebates or incentives. She decided to buy the lease out.

tagesschau posted:

Houses are still just sitting on the market if they get listed for the price you could have gotten six months ago. If big investors were going to swoop in at the first sign of a dip, they'd have done so already.
Yup, two homes in my parents’ neighbourhood have been for sale for a few months already at February 2022 prices. I think both places have only had a couple of viewings.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 27, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

One of the two teardown homes in my parents' Toronto neighbourhood finally sold on the weekend. It was originally listed in January for $1.8 million, then it was discounted to $1.6 million in April and it just sold for $1.05 million.

The house is one of the original neighbourhood homes that was built in the early 1940s. Judging by the interior photos it doesn't look like it had ever been updated.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Another home in my parents’ Toronto neighbourhood just sold. It was an estate sale. Listed at $1.9 in June, dropped to $1.6 in August, $1.4 in September, and finally $1.2 at the beginning of October. It sold this past weekend for $1.175.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, the Bank of England is saying the UK will face the longest recession since they started keeping record. They said they expect it to last least 2 years and unemployment numbers will double. The UK has a different set of circumstances but my point is, I think Canada will get hit hard too and we probably won’t have an idea of how bad for another 6 months or so.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Wouldn’t you need to spend billions upgrading the utility infrastructure? Would the water, sewer, gas, and electrical infrastructure built for a low density single family home neighbourhood be able to handle a 4x increase in population and density? An 8 storey condo was built near my parents and the city spent a couple of months tearing up the roads around it to put in new sewer and water mains to handle it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was off by a year or two, but I figured The End was coming soon when Tony Robbins and Pitbull hosted a real estate investor conference in Toronto in 2018. I figured we see a sharp decline within the next couple of years. Apparently Robbins has now branded himself as a wealth and investor guru since the motivation speaker bit was slowing down.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Femtosecond posted:

Possibly the catch is that these SFH areas up for rezone will not include the richest areas of John Tory supporters but who knows, maybe Tory is going out on a limb here, realizing that he has a big new mandate and he's pretty old, so this is a legacy moment to burn a lot of political capital on something we need to do but will piss a lot of established, rich SFH owning voters off.
It’s basically a green light for developers to build condos where ever they want. It’ll also allow any home to be turned into a rooming house.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 12, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Purgatory Glory posted:

This is rich, turns out of the 5 people noted in this cbc story, 4 are realtors and the 5th is a mortgage broker. All were looking to flip the reassign. https://twitter.com/TDot_Macro/status/1605201428393467907?s=20&t=sZALB0H5a91DBaa7NgeUUg
The CBC article removed their names. The original caption is the top left image in that tweet. If you go to the article now you see this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-homebuyers-struggle-close-1.6685427

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

The conversation is now closed.

lol they closed the comments

I was watching a show on Japanese architecture yesterday, and it mentioned in passing that in Japan, residentials homes depreciate to $0 after 15 years. The land still has value, but the law requires the actual buildings to depreciate to 0 over 15 years.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Purgatory Glory posted:

They were stress tested :grin:
That's what I don't get. The stress testing criteria was well above the current interest rates, was it not? I can only assume that with this many people freaking out about mortgage rates that the amount of fraud on applications is massive.

Also, I know someone who is moving to Vancouver because "Toronto home prices are unaffordable". :confused: