Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Anecdotes like that give me pause about ever thinking that we'll ever see the pre-2003 world again. That's a hell of a lot of the country whose interests are directly opposed to "housing is cheaper".

As home ownership is slightly under 70% of the population you can bet that there are a lot of people that don't want 2003 house prices again. Luckily they cannot hold it back forever so their interests at some point become immaterial. ie. The American and Irish home owners probably weren't terribly keen on the last 5-6 year either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Yeah, I've discussed this at length with my investor neighbour and that was the exact quote he used. drat Keynes.

But how do you look at a stock like this http://www.canadastockchannel.com/symbol/hcg.ca/ and not see the potential to make a boatload if/when poo poo hits the fan?

I have been watching that for a year now as a potential short. Luckily I haven't bothered as I would have lost my shirt on what should be a sure bet.

Maybe it will be a sure bet over the next 6-12 months, or maybe things will remain irrational for a bit longer yet. I'm keeping my money off the table.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

I'm curious in Canada is there a capital gain tax exemption for home sales similar to the USA?

In the US a joint filing couple can get a $500,000 escape from having to pay federal capital gain taxes assuming you meet the primary residence requirement.

Yeah, you are exempt from capital gains tax on your primary residence, afaik.

You are also exempt on the gains from where you lie about living until they catch you.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I don't often find myself on the same side as real estate developers, but a 100% jump in a 5-figure tax from one year to the next strikes me as a little odd. This is the kind of cost that should've been set in stone decades ago, and then adjusted for inflation.

The city is just getting their cut of what recently has been much larger pie. Unfortunately they waited until the market is on the cusp of a return to normal so those fees will likely have the predicted serious downside. Not to say that the industry is deserving of any sympathy.

v: Those fees are two or three years too late to actually redistribute the wealth. If developers are still getting the same margins during the next 5 years that they have been, then we are all doomed.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 10, 2013

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Should be done within the hour. Soliciting for titles... if nothing better it will be "The Canadian Finance and Investing thread - Paying More is our National Pastime"

The Canadian Finance and Investing thread - Returns Less than Inflation, Guaranteed!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's a relief, I guess I can tell the wife we *can* buy a house afterall.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

Well there's no such thing as an unaffordable house purchase when interest rates are this low.

Having been watching list prices decline in Vancouver for the past year from absurd to silly levels, I have instead chosen to believe that I am actually being paid to not buy a house. "Wow, you just dropped your ask price by double my families gross income. I certainly feel terrible for not buying a year ago now."

Since society seems to forgive realtor math pretty easily, I am hoping I can get away with just pretending I got a 200% raise by not buying. I can then use this windfall to buy the G&M so they can tell me it isn't happening. It is sort of win-win if you think about it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Hah, first time reading this thread. Just bought a house in Halifax this summer, and this thread may have convinced me not to.

But looks like it wasn't a terrible idea after all!

Canadian Housing Bubble Thread: Location Location Location

I live in Vancouver so if I had the money to buy a house I would also have the money to move to the Caribbean and sit on a beach for the rest of my life.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Condo news out of Toronto

The Star posted:

Mortgage brokers, realtors and developers have seen a surge the last few months in people who bought pre-construction condos two to three years ago “scrambling” to get financing to close deals.

Some have had to walk away from deposits worth tens of thousands of dollars. Others have been forced to borrow from family — or against their principal residence — to come up with final payments on condos that lenders are no longer keen to finance, according to interviews with a number of players in Toronto’s condo industry.
Hardest hit have been the self-employed who had pre-approvals from lenders when they bought their pre-construction units. But now, with the unit almost complete and final payments due, they are being told they need 35 to 50 per cent down, instead of just 20 per cent of the purchase price, unless they want to rely on secondary lenders offering rates that can hit double digits.

Many investors who bought units intending to flip them on completion, or rent them out for a few years, have also been shocked to find they thought they had pre-approvals, but they are no longer being honoured in the wake of tighter lending rules imposed by Ottawa.

Coupled with the upcoming glut of condo supply in Toronto, things are probably about to get pretty ugly there.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fine-able Offense posted:

When somebody says "about 3-5%", it is pretty dumb to immediately run out and cite the best-case edge scenario (a well-built new condo) and then pick the highest number in the range (5% instead of 3%) and then say "wow, that's too high!!1!".

There is not a single condo in Greater Vancouver whose strata has been properly assessing future expenses and building a fund to match. If you don't believe me, all you need to do is look at why the government changed the rules for mandatory depreciation reports to force them to confront the matter. And of course they can still ignore those reports with a 3/4ths vote, so nothing has changed. If you want to count on your piddly $300 a month covering something like a new roof when all it can do is barely keep up with elevator servicing and the gardener and somebody to hose out the parkade once a year, you're loving delusional.

-Boilers go, on average, every 15-20 years, at a 90% confidence interval (so figure yours could easily go at the ten-year mark)
-Same range for roofs.
-Envelopes fail no later than around the 20-year mark.

Etc. etc.

I am really not looking forward to my next AGM as I expect the prevailing attitude will be to ignore the maintenance report and not increase the contingency budget. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make it optional, but it was a terrible idea.

All the people crying about a 5% fee increase (less than a 1/3rd what was recommended) are certainly going to cry more when we have an assessment to cover some of what in on our report. I suspect that they don't intend to be here that long.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wynand, the obsession with Vancouver real estate was in full gear as far back as the 80s and 90s. Prices have gone through at least two bubbles and collapses. It's been mentioned in this thread but I encourage you to talk to some baby boomers about home ownership in the lower mainland on the 80s. Ask them what happened to their friends or themselves when the market collapsed.

The most aggravating part of talking to peers about house prices is the "never goes down" mantra. I mean, I've seen two spectular bubble pops here and I am not that old. I remember house auctions for $1 not being successful in the 80s crash.

I always wonder how high my friends were in the 80s and 90s. (I am guessing very since I noticed.)

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Seriously?

I was a kid, but I remember watching a news piece after the pop where houses up for auction went no bid (not even $1).

That said, it was 30 years ago so there may have been good reasons to not want those houses at any price. It stuck with me though, so I find it pretty hilarious when people try to say the houses are always worth more.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LemonDrizzle posted:

The entire justification is "people can't afford houses", with an implicit subtext of "...and house prices cannot ever be allowed to fall so that they come back into line with incomes". So instead of a correction in the market, we get a new and bigger bubble that will burst the instant interest rates rise from their current rock bottom levels.

Well if you put it into the Canadian context, the government has allowed housing to become about 20% of GDP. (I am assuming that England's housing bubble has accomplished something similar.) If they take moves to put that to a more historical norm, the damage to the economy and social fabric would be immediate and severe.

The only card they can play is to keep the bubble going, and hope that something comes along that can absorb that drop. It's magical thinking of course, and even if something comes along (like a new industry) it will probably just be the next bubble. (Ironically, the bubble makes the "something else" more unlikely as investment will all just flow into the bubble.)

Politically however they are better off making a later bubble pop worse than forcing the current bubble to pop, since someone else will suffer for it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^^: "I'm a bit confused" is right...

blah_blah posted:

He's already factored in strata fees though -- you're saying that after owning for 10 years a reasonably likely outcome is that he's going to spend half the value of his property in repairs/maintenance on top of that?

It is a ball park. However what Fineable is actually saying* is that no, your buddy can expect to not actually pay that, since it is unlikely that he is living in a properly maintained building.

* apologies if I mischaracterized your point

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HookShot posted:

The funniest part of this is the assessment for literally any plot of land in the entire province is available online. All someone had to do at city council was look it up.

Plus the municipal tax bill for that land, which is based on the assessment, is something that the city really should have access too.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Interesting things in this case study:

1) I'd expect a 50 year old doctor to have way more in savings. This seems low to me.
2) These 'advisors' are advocating that this couple dump ~40% of their net worth into buying a house. As Lexicon has mentioned, with a little proper management, they could easily yield their rent and then some. Could one say the same for pouring all this money into a million dollar house in Vancouver? Pride of ownership trumps prudent finance I guess.

The sign of a quality financial adviser is when they recommend that you take out a loan that you can pay back just in time to retire at 65, instead of a plan that allows you take your 1.2 million and retire earlier (or now).

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

man thats gross posted:

By year 11, annual out of pocket costs are even. So take that $80K down payment and $16K for closing costs, and to be generous, add an extra $5k for the difference renting would have saved you every year (even though the difference starts at $5K and tapers off until year 11), you're looking at $286K after 11 years, a net gain of $190K. That's about $40K better than where you'd be if you bought, but from that point forward, you're spending more money by renting.

There are plenty of online spreadsheets available that you can use to find out if a particular property is better off as a purchase over renting. Just be realistic with the numbers you use. Hope that wasn't too grasping.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

It's a nice infographic especially since it uses the assumption of a 35% down payment for the more expensive areas.

Actually the thing I noticed was it knew exactly that 34.7% of the population makes at least $66,132. However what percentage makes at least $171,684... i dunno less than 32% or something.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kafka Esq. posted:

So what's the systemic risk we've built into the system? I can't imagine a rise of even one or two points on the interest rate not bringing payments on certain mortgages down, but what is the real problem now? The government is intent on keeping rates low.

Banks finance their mortgage portfolio on the open bond market, and it is not pegged to the BoC rate. If bond rates increase, mortgages increase regardless of what the government intends.

That is why mortgage rates have increased by ~1% while the BoC rate is still sitting at effectively zero.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Health Services posted:

Well, this quote from the article is horrifying:

I really, really, really hope they have better internal analyses than that.

Not to disparage public employees, but what exactly does a market analyst do for the CMHC anyways?

Please, please, please let it be providing forecasting information to the finance department. And not as that quote sounds, shill for the real estate boards.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

wasn't the rich foreigner driving up the market explanation shown to not line up with actual stats?

Apparently the narrative that rich foreigners are purchasing everything with suitcases full of cash, shows some weaknesses when you see how much of their insurance cap the CHMC has dedicated to the west coast.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cmon.

I refuse to believe the tories are as loving stupid as to actually plan for an outcome with a high probability of failure while on their watch.

Which leaves the most plausible explanation: they had no loving idea what they were doing.

What's key here is, who had the greatest insight into what was most likely to happen and whether or not they supported this policy regardless.

There are thousands of people across the country that fully expect housing to increase at 20% forever. I have no trouble believing that there are several cabinet ministers that are just as silly.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, but this is countered by the BMO.

Globe and Mail link

B.C. housing in 'soft landing' posted:

Bank of Montreal economists have taken British Columbia’s housing market off the critical care list.

“Since bottoming in February, sales in the province have jumped nearly 40 per cent through September, and were more than 50 per cent above year-ago levels in Vancouver,” senior economist Robert Kavcic of BMO Nesbitt Burns said today.

“That, plus a falloff in new listings, has all but quashed concerns of a hard landing,” he said in a report on the economic fortunes of the provinces.

“Note that after a buyer’s market plagued the past two years, the sales-to-new-listings ratio now paints a decidedly balanced picture of the B.C. market.”

Whew, I am sure glad that housing collapsesoftness is already over with.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

What the hell? Buyer's market in BC for last two years?

Check your lower mainland privilege. There are great deals to be had in the Whistler hotel room market and "Oh God, someone please buy my house!" Kelowna.

Fun fact: The foreclosure rate in Kelowna is about 1/day.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maybe you're renting your investment property~ out to a whole bunch of mainland chinese students

If that was your plan for a Kelowna investment property, it would explain why it was in foreclosure.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fine-able Offense posted:

Kelowna is awesome to visit for a weekend in the right time of year. Go on a winery tour and get schwasted like a gentleman, hit up an orchard on your way out of town for some jam.

Buying a piece of land there, though, is basically admitting you've given up on being a human being. It's a more indolent and self-involved version of building a cabin in the woods or joining a monestary.

Having grown up there, this isn't far from the mark. I love the area but actually living there would be a surrender.

It is a retirement community coming to grips with what the boomer bubble is going to do to retirees property values.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

you could hang out with madchild from famous rap group swollen members

The place is still crowing about being the hometown of The Grapes of Wrath.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Do people really, actually believe that Kelowna is a place with bright future prospects, chiefly among them exponential growth in housing prices?

At least in Vancouver you can construct a self-soothing narrative about Mainland Chinese hot money, or in Calgary, oil extraction, or whatever. But Kelowna? You'd want your head examined to buy property there at half the price, let alone the current valuations. What gives?

As has been stated, the narrative in Kelowna is EVERYONE wants to retire there. Now a lot of people do, so it's believable but the reality is not going to save the place.

And no offense taken. There are only two things to do there. Be a student, or be retired and it is decent at both. I believe the leading industry is building strip malls so you can imagine what the job market is like.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Interesting. I did not know that.

Still, their average SFH price must be a mere fraction of Vancouver's? And it has, you know, a real economy to support expensive houses of course. The Puget Sound region is an economic powerhouse.

When my partner feels like making herself depressed, she takes a look at houses for sale in Portland. She then emails them to me to depress me.

And like Seattle, Portland has some commerce and industries unrelated to condo tower construction.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dusseldorf posted:

I haven't spent too much time in Vancouver but doesn't it only have a bare skeleton of a public transit system?

Yes, and it seems to get barer and barer every year. In ten years, transit service to my neighbourhood has been cut twice and is now half (less since it is now minibuses on the weekend as well) what it was when I moved in.

It is going to push me back into the city proper eventually. I have no idea how the people living in the actual burbs deal with it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eej posted:

No one's retiring to the Okanagan to enjoy the Penticton Vineyards, ok. Meth labs maybe.

I think the only time rich people actually head down into "the city" (oh god people there actually use this term) is to get on a plane or their yacht.

The one saving grace of being from Kelowna is that you are not from Penticton (Shelbyville) or Vernon (Ogdenville).

Also Naramata is not Penticton, even if it really looks like it should be.

On topic: Is the south Okanagan months of inventory numbers as bad as I have heard (~36 months)? On the surface that seems crazy, but I am inclined to not discount it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paper Mac posted:

Some of these numbers are insane. 6 billion in cash was brought into the US in 2012 by mainlanders to buy real estate. In cash. I was especially surprised by this: "Canada keeps no hard data about foreign investors in real estate, but Chinese buyers in one year outnumbered local buyers in Vancouver by a three to one margin." - I thought the HAM story had been discredited?

Well, no numbers exist. Except for this very specific number I use in the second half of the sentence.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LemonDrizzle posted:

How do you short a housing market?

I think the theory is you short the retail/wholesale construction material vendors, the mortgage insurance companies and the mortgage companies. I believe most of the companies that directly build are private, but a number of their lenders or supplies are probably shortable.

Home Capital Group (HCG) is one financing company that gets mentioned that will be particularly vulnerable to a housing correction and should be shorted if you think a market correction is coming. It's stock has increased by ~45% since July though, so good luck with that. Something, something, something about market irrationality outlasting your solvency, something...

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Would they really?

I thought all the lovely non-existent subprime risk was insured by the CMHC. The banks have very little skin in this game.

It isn't all with the CMHC as there are private insurers in the mortgage business too. The government just gave a large loan guarantee to one of them last year. :downsgun:

The problem with the banks would potentially arise in the case that loan defaults started to happen and the banks got asked for their documentation. All of the liar loans that got made could get their insurance invalidated. (Thoough I cannot imagine the government letting the banks suffer too much.)

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 11, 2013

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fitch Rating report that Canadian housing is 21% overvalued

cbc posted:

Sky high prices in the Canadian real estate market won't be climbing for much longer, says a report by global rating agency Fitch Ratings.

The agency forecast Tuesday that home prices across the country are in for a "soft landing" and will either flatten out or slightly decrease over the next five years. It estimates that current prices are overvalued by up to 26 per cent in some regions (21 per cent nationally) and could fall by no more than 10 per cent over the next five years.

Fitch Ratings said the Canadian economy will be exposed when this happens, as many homebuyers have financially stretched themselves to borrow for their home purchase and will be in for a shock once interest rates start to climb.

It noted a downturn in the housing sector will also impact jobs, as companies have scrambled to build new homes and push construction to record levels in recent years.

With the recent CREA release that Canadian home values are on average 390K, the wealth evaporation is going to be staggering. And in the specific areas that are skewed significantly above the average, it is going to be horrible to live through.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Doesn't the level sort of prevent a soft landing once people go into panic mode and also start getting nice HELOC letters from their bank?

Well soft landing would be achieved if earnings caught up with housing. However that is almost laughably unlikely, and even if it did happen I think it would just spur additional rounds of house price escalations. If the bank is willing to lend me a million now for grandma's Vancouver special, imagine what they would lend me if there were actual wage increases.

I cannot even see how the economy doesn't take a dump if housing just stagnates as I suspect HELOCs are driving a lot of consumer activity.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Also did anyone watch the CBC condo documentary on the GTA condo boom?

I watched it last night, and got much happier that I don't own a condo in the GTA.

Aside from the bubble implications though, the realization of how little influence the city has in its own city planning should terrify everyone.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Yeah it's the other nature of the problem since due to a lack of good oversight from city government you have lots of problems such as buildings sneaking by with shoddy quality materials/workmanship and also the bigger problem in which the lack of good central planning will lead to future traffic jams/isolated poorly integrated condo developments.

One of the articles on the documentary linked condo guide buyer's guide:
https://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/sites/daniels.utoronto.ca/files/kesik-buythatcondo.pdf

The leaky condo crisis in Vancouver was a slow motion disaster for a really long time, and cost some people their life savings. I think some people are still suffering from it too, or at least that is the assumption when I see green meshed scaffolding go up around a building.

It was just a bunch of three story wood (mostly) frames, and it cost billions to fix.

If a sizable percentage of those 50+ floor concrete hab blocks are shoddy, it is going to cost some big dollars to fix.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

The documentary also made the point that Vancouver already had a painful condo boom and bust cycle back in the 80s.

But somehow once again the city seems to think a condo boomtown makes more sense economically than having a good rental housing supply of well constructed buildings.

Yeah, basically there was a housing boom in Vancouver in the 80's and the result of it was a whole lot of bankrupt home owners, and 5-15 years later having your condo rot out from underneath you. I think it has been mostly cleaned up now, but it took 20 years and the government needed to front a lot of interest free loans to stratas to do it.

In not shocking news, none of the developers will be available to fix or get sued for the upcoming Toronto housing problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The guy just posted an article where Krugman gives Summers accolades for (and says he has advocated the same for a while) pushing for more economic bubbles as a financial cure all for our macroeconomic ills, what more could you possibly want?

I read the article a got more of a "it appears to be the case" vibe than any strong argument that it was desirable.