Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

And here's an upper-middle-class house in the burbs of Halifax. Located in a sprawly, bullshit neighbourhood. I picked one with an open garage and a ridiculous SUV on purpose:

Engineer here: this is made better by the shoddy workmanship in that second McMansion (some construction companies seem to have taken to putting on decks with loving nails so they can't handle any axial ("pulling out") load whatsoever - a violation of the building code and a disaster waiting to happen) compared to that upper class South End Halifax house that's probably been there forever. Skilled tradesmen don't stay in Nova Scotia. Who do you think is building the decks out here?

If you live in a relatively old building and they've closed the wooden decks for repairs recently, this is probably why. The old building code allowed for nails and assumed 2 people on the deck. The new building code calls for proper fasteners but some slumlords revenue property owners have decided to not follow the new standards. Be very loving careful about how many people you take out on your deck.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1239987-halifax-deck-collapse-ns-home-builders-director-sees-flimsy-construction

edit: formatting

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

You can tell the deck is shoddy from that picture?

Nah, but I think the construction of the new homes in Halifax in general is pretty shoddy. Not based on inspections, but more just what I think is common sense - any tradesman worth a drat goes out to Alberta where they can make more money, pay less taxes, and work under generally better safety standards. So who's building the homes over here?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

meatcookie posted:

You have just perfectly described [any suburb of any major Canadian city] holy gently caress. This place is so blindly stupid that it's staggering.

And for the unfortunate fuckers in places like Halifax that had their cities merged with completely rural areas, you get "hey why am I being billed for water infrastructure and transit and buses and stuff, my drat house has a well on it and I don't use any of that gay bike or bus crap"

Like Torontonians - imagine if your amalgamation had extended to places like King City and East Gwillimbury. Actual farms. And then they had voting power in your council.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

etalian posted:

Not sure why a city would annex rural areas but annexing suburbs is always hilarious.

In the case of Halifax, the city didn't do it - the province forced it on them (and Sydney) in order to meet budget problems in the rural areas. It was supposed to save the province a ton of money because there'd be less duplicated services. In reality, things shot up because town officials suddenly wanted to be paid as much as their urban counterparts. Our transit system is also hosed because instead of concentrating services in a proper urban area, we have a whole bunch of routes that run out to Nowhere, once per hour (so no one will actually bother to use them lol).

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

RBC posted:

unemployment rates aren't usually all that accurate

i moved to toronto from peterborough for work and jesus christ the situation is night and day. that city is hosed

Please explain. Is it that there's less unemployment in peterborough but the jobs that are there can't really be lived on?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Haven't you heard? Giant gently caress-off pickups are the new luxury car. It's no problem to get an F-150 north of $70k these days. I can't fathom why you would, but it's possible.

I'm pretty sure Cape Breton is only ever paved in the summer so people can drive their oil sands bonuses back to Sydney. In the country, giant gently caress off pickups with truck nutz were always luxury cars.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just like last summer I was just in Nova Scotia visiting the parents for a week and it is depressing as ever. If you try real hard you can find children so it's not entirely constituted of seniors. Aside from a few university towns and top-end tourist attractions it is just atrophying away...

If you want to be depressed look at the economic plans that the various towns have for revival. Reopening the old coal mines! A ferry from Yarmouth to Maine (that stops for 30 minutes in Yarmouth)! It's like they can't think of any plans other than going back to what things were like in their day. They do not invest in modern infrastructure (e.g. Eastlink caps rural internet at like "15" MB down and 2 up, and the stretch of highway from Canso to Sydney is the worst I've ever seen in Canada) and on social issues they are 20 years behind Canada. The mayor of Sydney spends his time arguing for public prayer at his meetings. The mayor of Shelburne threw a shitfit because people thought her Duck Dynasty themed "Redneck Contest" was actually kind of racist.

Halifax will be fine, but the rest of the province is going to fall off a cliff.

edit: left out some relevant recent poo poo

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 21, 2015

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

El Scotch posted:

Or pizza delight!

Don't make fun of pizza delight, how else am I supposed to tell that someone is a townie without asking? Next you'll criticize [insert generic lovely Celtic-themed bar name here] too.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Anyone who lives in a major Canadian city who complains about how there's not any attractive women can go to hell.

Try living in a small prairie city where at least half the residents can't talk about anything other than the loving roughriders are and/or are obese.

If you're in any Atlantic town save Halifax and you're in a certain age bracket, your parents either have money (and you have some sinecure) or You Done hosed Up. You're working a series of minimum wage fungible jobs and blowing your paycheques on drugs and the local Dooly's. It's a bleak existence and probably one of the reasons they have issues keeping doctors - in addition to trying to gently caress them out of malpractice payments if their specialties aren't popular (e.g: guess how popular obgyn is in a retirement province), the people are just cold.

There was a story in the Chronicle Herald about a man who'd practiced medicine for 20 years in a town in Nova Scotia and never been invited to a single dinner.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 28, 2015

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

:science:

Trade/sell it when you know its only going downhill. Dealers will overpay for crap and underpay for valuable vehicles. Get someone else's bad decision by buying a late model used with warranty remaining. Never sign first pen.

Even with zero interest - zero down? On something practical, not a "I'm an oilsands employee" status symbol?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cultural Imperial posted:

first law about people: they're all humungous raging assholes

wait till you tell them they can't just put everything in the trash

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cultural Imperial posted:

I'm on the tarmac here at o'hare and there's a Canadian Captain of Industry telling someone about his awesome technique of horizontally streaming oil out of sand in the ground and how it's so much cleaner than fracking.

Good luck with that bro

E: he's from Nova Scotia. Now living in Calgary.

I am sorry.

The biggest evangelists of "Oilberta" in my experience have been people from regressive towns in Nova Scotia whose parents (and possibly parents' parents') worked out west and now think it's the cat's meow because people there have money and the roads are paved (and there's less "thugs", but it's those natives you have to watch out for). Albertans seem to hate them because they're the ones buying flashy trucks and Sea-Doos and voting down any and all attempts to pay for infrastructure because, gently caress it, they're gonna retire to Port Williams or Guysborough anyway so why bother?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

About that "Chase the Ace" thing: one of the ladies in the CBC article mentioned how people "back from Alberta" are plowing money into it. (i.e. laid off and using their EI money). But don't worry, they're building a new airport in Inverness too! With your tax money! With stuff like this they'll be back in business in no time.

One of the most infuriating things about Nova Scotian politics has to be the fact that from the southernmost tip in Yarmouth to the highest tip in Inverness, everyone is convinced that it's the big bad government in Halifax holding them back and that if they "didn't get so much money from the province and the feds" they would succeed. Like anyone wants to live somewhere 5 hours from an international airport, or in insular communities where people don't speak to you if you haven't lived there (continuously) your entire life, or that the reason the Cape Breton coal mines or Port Hawkesbury newsprint factory or Yarmouth tourism went under is because of Big Bad Halifax.

edit: Solutions wise, I think the only option is to realize that some areas aren't going to have the same quality of life or prominence that they once had anymore. Plan around infrastructure that doesn't require a car. Invest in education and don't wage wars with the only people fighting for Nova Scotians to get a better wage. Try to create a new economy and stop wasting so much time and money restarting the old one. Tell people if they want to live in a town of 350 1 hour outside of New Glasgow, that's their damned problem.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 14, 2015

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Bonus: even Syrian refugees don't want to move there, so you won't have to deal with that issue ever again :v:

Our minister for immigration in NS would like to bring your federal tax dollars Syrian refugees here.

Because we are known for our cultural sensitivity:

quote:

Patricia Arab, Liberal MLA for Fairview-Clayton Park, reportedly told Muslim attendees at Titus Park on Saturday that the chicken hot dogs being served to them were halal. It was later revealed the Maronite Catholic MLA had simply uttered a prayer over the sausages.

“It’s just gotten so blown ridiculously out of proportion,” says Wells, about the complaints. “That’s what’s so frustrating about this. There’s no ill intent, no sense of trying to deceive anyone. It’s just a non-story.”

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The Maritimes have a reputation for being friendly, but the reality is that doesn't really apply if you're not from here and definately not if you're not a "Old Stock Canadian".

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

lmbo i think its funny that canadians from other provinces think that albertans like working for chinese and US companies who own a lot of the big operating companies, NEP 2.0 would free a lot of us to piss around and do nothing like all the other provinces

man I wish I could've gone out there when I graduated so I could engage in such productive and sustainable activities as driving a truck up and down your frozen northern wasteland for 80 grand a year

gently caress manufacturing and R&D, hew dat wood, draw dat water

edit: I have a bit of a sore spot for Albertans who conveniently forget what things were like when oil wasn't 100$ a barrel. Most of these smug Albertans (read: Maritimers) aren't old enough/aware enough to remember the 80s and have invested in truck and seadoo equity.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 10, 2015

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

ductonius posted:

Sandwiched between a rail yard, a detox center and a brewery.

edit:

Condo owners: The trains are making too much noise!
CN: Get hosed.
Condo owners: You can't just dismiss us!
Federal Government: Yes they can.
Condo owners: City! Do something!
Vancouver city: Could you please make less noise?
CN: Get hosed.

Hey doesn't this sound familiar...http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1185540-developer-wants-end-to-train-whistle-blowing-near-king-s-wharf

I wonder what was said during construction about this (and the other apartment/condo that was built in a similar area, by the HalTerm). If you really thought a bunch of city councillors have the power to force CN to do anything it doesn't want to...

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Wrap it up Canadailures :australia: :britain: cryingdoubledecktram.gif

Sydney and Vancouver stick out on this list like a sore thumb.

From what I know the only jobs that pay well in Vancouver are working for an American company until your visa gets approved. And a bunch of tech startups who'll "pay" you in "shares".

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I listened to a CBC Morning program on the way into work today on the topic of condo development in Halifax, specifically in regards to the number of complaints from pre construction buyers who found out the beautiful condos from the concept art they bought were really badly made, with corners cut wherever available.

Man you can't mention this and not link the whole story for CI's schadenfreude-based benefit!
In Nova Scotia developers are in charge of inspections and don't have to offer any warranties. What could possibly go wrong?

quote:

"In both cases the (architects and engineers) who signed those plans protest that the developer did not follow their directions, or that the developer altered product after rough-in and sign-off was achieved," says the report, which does not identify the buildings.

quote:

(the report) cites one row house-style condominium on the Halifax peninsula where balconies were not properly attached to the building and could be pulled away by hand.

quote:

29 corporations (69 per cent) have been subject to varying degrees of premature building envelope failure.

quote:

it was discovered that a flue was installed with a liner made of flammable materials

quote:

It says at least one major manufacturer of cement board siding pulled its warranty for the product in Nova Scotia, in part because of excessive claims due to poor installation.

This developer is mad that you'd call the condo development industry shady. He'd also like to interest you in some condos next to the Dartmouth rail line. Don't worry, the whistling at night will stop any time now! The Halifax City Council has sent CN a strongly worded letter!

Bonus: In the comments to that article and on reddit people claiming to work in the industry are also claiming it is common practice to buy up units using numbered companies and rent them out to give the impression of "full occupancy" to investors who quickly realise that the "tenants" often haven't been paying much rent.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

quote:

We looked to other Canadian startup success stories like Hootsuite and Shopify, which have taken the approach of generously sharing equity with the employees

HootSuite and Shopify stock instead of salary, what a great deal!

e: if you willingly accept startup equity instead of salary and aren't, like, one of the first 10 people employed at the firm you probably deserve what you get

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Well, then is it really a bubble? I think I'd take life in a minor city like Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, or Halifax before pissing my money away to live in Vancouver or Toronto. Small cities can be pretty cool in a lot of ways that big cities are not.

Nothing is free though. Housing prices in Halifax seemed pretty respectable on the surface but were out in the inner burbs in areas with... known racial tensions. Or fairly large houses on big lots outside of the city with 40+ minute commutes into the city, no city water, and deer and "country people" for neighbors. The areas you'd actually want to live in Halifax when adjusted for COL and local taxes were just as expensive as their Toronto counterparts (with much shittier build quality).

Plus you might get hosed if you ever have to move. Can't link the article at the moment but I recall a CF member losing 80 grand when he had to sell his home in Edmonton due to a transfer.