Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Mundane posted:

Live in the same city as you, and holy crap do they ever need to get that thing up and running. 50 minutes in rush hour just to drive 12km in a town of less than 300k people.

Bought a house in the burb's here west of the airport for 301k, which was the average rate for houses in my neighborhood. One year later the house next door finally sold and I asked my neighbor what he payed.

Guy said 475k. We have the exact same cookie cutter starter house, that it was weird walking thru it when he invited me in. Those home building companies are raking in a killing.

My Dad got transfered to Lethbridge 2 years ago for work and bought (took out a mortgage out on) a place on Fairmont Blvd. He had a fair sized downpayment on it because of the money he happened to make off the housing appreciation in Kamloops, but I suspect he probably bought into the market in Lethbridge at the wrong time and is going to get screwed. At least it wasn't an "investment property" sigh...

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

Baronjutter posted:

It's seems like it's something cities should be getting into more of. Specially poorer cities that have already had their local marketed devastated, good time for the city to jump in and start socializing that poo poo.

I think this would be a great idea, but I'm wondering if Canadian municipalities are handicapped from doing that (By the law)?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I totally agree with this; this is more or less the Swedish model, as far as I know. Everyone can afford at minimum a nice, big apartment, but every apartment in Sweden has the same front door.

In Vancouver, it's also because our city council is bought and paid for by property developers. In 2011 we had the most-financed municipal election campaign in Canadian history, with around $1 mil going to each of the two major parties. And the majority of that funding was from developers. There's some breakdown here, but you can probably dig out the full documents on the CoV website (I can't be arsed to find them again right now).

Until that gets fixed, I wouldn't expect to see much positive change on housing from the Vancouver City Council.

(Of course this is also a knock-on consequence of the hot money problem, but getting business interests out of government might help.)

In some slightly positive Vancouver news the Independent COPE faction has taken control of COPE, pushing out the Vision-coalition faction. They are pretty focused on the issue of affordable housing and could use some help, because they sure aren't going to be able to buy their way into office!