Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyWalker
Aug 21, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

I can understand why doctor/lawyer/dentists would be mad in this moment as their retirement may be negatively impacted by this change, but hey, maybe there was some risk in pursuing an arguably exotic tax scheme instead of doing something boring that aligns with everyone else in the country. Maybe your tax professional should have discussed regulatory risk with you! Sorry!

Basically the situation aligns with what we've seen where it's Not Allowed for people to lose money in any way at all.

As a physician, I personally support this move. I'm a rare salaried doc and keep relatively little in my PC. These changes aren't likely to ever affect me. Despite my own challenges, my career affords me a lifestyle many Canadians cannot reach and I try to remain grateful for that.

But I will defend some angry docs - the provinces sold us the idea of incorporation to save money rather than increase billing codes, which have not come close to increasing with inflation. The vast majority of physicians don't have pensions or benefits and self-fund both. And most don't get to start practicing (and start saving for retirement) until in their 30s or later. Plus many of us start >$200K or more in debt on day one. We cannot strike to seek better conditions. I can understand some physicians being fed up with perceived financial penalties after being continuously overworked and underappreciated in a crumbling system trying to keep other people alive. I hope more physicians don't choose to leave for other jurisdictions. Most won't but even losing a few may teeter the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU