Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/lake-huron-erosion-1.6736385

Idiot couple finds out 350K lakefront house is falling into the water. Still closes on deal.

Now they're filing a 2.2M dollar lawsuit. Not sure why they think their damages are over 6 times as high as what they paid for the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
If Canada scales back on international students there will be huge issues with Ontario universities. Right now they've basically had their income frozen for the past decade, because Ford froze tuitions, but also froze funding. I believe Wynne also froze the number of funded places (which of course Ford continued).

The universities use international students, along with expensive grad programs such as business and law or medical schools, to make up the funding gaps.

They are already having trouble attracting qualified workers, as they can't match US or other international salaries. If you recall, Laurentian went bankrupt a little while ago, and others will follow suit if these conditions continue (probably Brock first). (Laurentian went bankrupt deliberately though because they tried to pull the classic business rear end in a top hat move of weaseling out of their debts).

There have been rumblings of going private among high-level administrators. These are not serious at this point, but eventually will be. So say hello to your new US style education system in 10 years time :911:.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

qhat posted:

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, I bought 100k worth of dividend paying ETFs. It pays 3%, or $3000, a year. Not bad! But I’m a greedy geezer and I want a lot more, so I take out a loan for a million bucks and get a nice $30k coupon each year, which is pretty much the cost of a 1 bedroom.

Let’s now say the ETF stops paying dividends suddenly. Well gosh, I don’t really want to sell because the market is bad, but I have interest payments to make, and that was basically all of my savings, I think I’m somehow being hard done by, can I find any sympathy from anyone here? Anyone? No? What do you mean you’re laughing at my bad decisions?

I think it’s perfectly sane to laugh at someone who goes bankrupt for making a really stupid investment like that that relied on some cash flow that was never guaranteed. Apparently though, we have to find some sympathy for idiots that take out a HELOC to fund a mortgage to buy a rental property that stops paying rent after a couple years. It’s almost like leveraged investing has consequences when the market sours, and we should also be laughing at broke leveraged real estate investors, rather than giving them air time.

There is a key difference here. When the ETFs stop paying dividends the richer entity (big companies) is taking from the poorer entity (you). Whereas, in the housing example the richer person (landlord, pbuh), is being not paid by the poorer person (sub-human renter). Hope that helps.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Pretty simple solution honestly.

i) Tenant pays the taxes.
ii) House is now the tenants.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Mantle posted:

It's not your banker's opinion, it's actually the bank's opinion that the rates will go down during the comparable period of the fixed rate term. Otherwise they wouldn't be pricing their fixed rates that way. They're making billion dollar bets on being right.

This is kind of like an individual investor in the market thinking they're trading with pickup ball guys when it's really LeBron James on the other side of the trade.

Hey now. These are Canadian banks. So it's more like Brian Scalabrine at best.