Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quaint bucket posted:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/everybody-in-canada-would-live-in-this-province-if-they-could/

Guess who it is :shepicide:

According to an overwhelming sample size of 1500 people across Canada, west coast is the best coast for all demographics.

I mean it's not wrong, BC has the best weather and the best terrain. I would move to the interior if there was a job and non-insane real estate prices to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

How likely is it that their threat would work?

They'd probably be able to force the fence guy to waste a lot of time and money, but ultimately no chance, assuming the fence complies with local land use bylaws. If he says he talked to the city, then odds are it does. I have no idea what Vancouver's bylaws are, but it's usually just "don't build a 20 foot high fence".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

It really is terrible that you are actually even able to get yourself into this big of a hole.

It's not even that big of a hole though, they have a positive net worth; all they have to do is sell the house, use the gains there to pay off the debt, and stop spending $3000/mo on candles computers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lobok posted:

I've never applied for a mortgage. How "EXCRUCIATING" is the financing process?

Extremely easy. They will without fail offer you a larger mortgage than you can really afford, assuming you enjoy things like recreational activities.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

I was going to school to be a nurse or a paramedic and but I didn't like the lifestyle. The nursing department required me to get mandatory vaccines—flu shots every six months—but I believe in holistic medicine, not vaccines, and so I dropped out of school. 

:staredog:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

For reals I thought that was where they hired most of the kitchen + waitstaff already??

This is what I hear from everyone I know who has ever worked in a kitchen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

For one month of cable you can get yourself a yearly VPN sub which is free reign to pirate everything.

Media companies still aren't dying fast enough. Do your part.

I don't see why people think they need a VPN to do this. Only thing that's going to happen without one is your ISP might send you a weakly worded email.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HookShot posted:

I actually, legitimately think we should do that here. Property should be for the people who live in a place, not for foreign investors to park their money.

Literally the first thing I thought of is how are you going to stop said foreigners from buying local corporations that will buy the properties?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Myriarch posted:

How does a 54 year old owe $143,000 in student debt?

Student debt isn't discharged with bankruptcy, but at those numbers (and given she isn't making much of anything anyways, even by rural bumfuck standards, especially so by San Jose) skipping the country altogether must start being a financially appropriate option

Just needs to acquire some housing equity, leverage that into a massive HELOC, pay back the student loans, then default.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Either that or the fact that their currency is held low by the rest of the EU.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I’m a blockchain skeptic, but a public, machine-readable registry of transactions makes me a bit excited.

If you wanted this, all you'd have to do is start having the provincial land registries record/publish transaction prices on land titles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Plus we have like $200k in contingency and pretty much everything has been done recently. We could replace the roof and still have plenty for renos.

Do you have an actual reserve fund study telling you that? Out here we're required to get audited reports done on how the reserve funds are performing relative to expected future expenditures, if you're actually ahead of the curve there it should be easy enough to convince a board to vote for doing your renos.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HookShot posted:

I will never stop laughing at Pitbull showing up at these "business" expos.

Somehow I feel that Pitbull spinning himself into some sort of business guru is actually kind of interesting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lol I just went to check out video card prices from Memory Express, and was greeted by a notice saying that they're not selling individual graphics cards at the level of GTX1070 or better due to supply shortages.

Is that all bitcoin nonsense?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Just shows how lazy a significant proportion of the population actually is.

Watching video games is really no less lazy than watching real sports though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Buy up all the units on the 4th and 7th floor of a condo building, seize control of the board, renumber the building, sell for profit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BC municipal politics always surprises me with it's partisan structure. For those who have lived in BC and elsewhere (Most municipals are non-party organized right? Except Quebec maybe?), does there wind up being much of a practical difference?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That looks like it's actually three units though? There's multiple kitchens in it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

Well, of course. But if the law is designed around a supposition that someone would lower their own standard of living just to spite their lower-earning ex, then it seems advisable to also design it around the supposition that a spouse might use it out of sheer greed and spite to control their higher-earning ex.

Do you think it would matter how long a change in jobs had been planned? If you decide to take a vow of poverty two weeks after you separated, I agree that's some bullshit. If you said, "honey, I hate my job, I'm going to do X instead now," and they divorced you because they're pissed off at that decision, I see that as a different matter. If you've been taking classes to change careers for a year or two, and the divorce is unrelated, the amount of reduction in income shouldn't matter since the spouse knew this reduction in income would be coming in any event.

Here's a list of things that matter! It's almost as if the people who do this for a living have thought about this in detail, and might have more advanced ideas than you or I could spitball on the fly.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/spousal-epoux/ss-pae.html

fe: apparently every Family Law page has a Quick Escape button that dumps you back at Google. That's some good work Justice Department.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

3rd floor of a 4 floor wood condo building here. We rented it because the unit is very large for a new build. We regret it due to the noise. Soundproofing doesn’t do poo poo when people walking above you rattles your light fixtures.

I'm also 3 out of 4 in a wood frame, built 2007, and it's quiet as gently caress. I'd swear I was living here alone if I hadn't met the other occupants. So it's certainly possible to do right, no clue what the difference is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I loving love that implementing a 0.05% tax increase makes Eby a Heartless Communist. That's some good poo poo, keep on crushing it BCNDP.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

James Baud posted:

I'm not sympathizing here as property taxes in BC are absurdly low and a far greater share of government revenue should come from them IMO, but it's actually a 20% increase - current (2018) property taxes on a 4m house in Vancouver are a touch less than 10k/year.

As in the 0.05% increase is a 20% increase relative to the current rate? I guess that could be correct but I hate that people try to explain changes in a rate with a second order rate, because our brains don't deal with that well. Like when we discuss cutting/bumping the GST, we talk about it in the raw 1 or 2 percentage point bump, not the relative increase. Same with interest rates, and most other things.

If I'm wrong correct me, I have no idea what property tax rates are like in BC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Last week I was having drinks with someone who had a horror story of tax increases in BC. One of their friends had a house that increased in value by approx 2.5m since the purchase but because of taxes they were really getting poorer when you really think about it. Moving away from Vancouver to capture that tax free 2.5m capital gain is also simply impossible.

I loving love that taking the $2.5M payout and then renting simply isn't an option, lest you become some sort of very wealthy dalit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Is the school district thing even a thing in Canada? Can't you just go to whatever school you want? And it's not like one junior high in Vancouver is all that different from another, or do people in Vancouver brag about where they went to 9th grade or some poo poo?

Also maybe he's Chinese in which case why not abolish all private property?

Calgary is the same way, technically you can go wherever you want, but they give preference to local kids, and then kids with siblings already in the school (for good reason) and most schools are real full, so having a footprint in the right neighborhood can matter, particularly in the case of some of the specialty public schools.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But it's still paying more for no reason when you could just wait those couple weeks and then go on vacation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

no it isn't

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BC has a public land registry right? You can probably just preview the titles and see if they've changed hands in the last couple months.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

James Baud posted:

The BC RCMP really seem compromised on the organized crime front. They have a looong history of letting things go when a certain group is involved, not that this is necessarily "from the top"... Just a likelihood of being compromised.

Have the RCMP ever managed to carry out a large scale investigation and prosecution? Because I sure can't think of any.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sitchensis posted:

Townhomes and rowhouses are really energy efficient because they share walls, but I guess in North America we can't have people sharing walls so we keep 30cm sideyards everywhere so Realtors(TM) can sell them as detached single family homes.

To be fair, I do not trust many home builders in Calgary to construct a common wall with anything thicker or sound dampening than MDF.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The point isn't that Vancouver is special. Most of the people who move to Vancouver are coming from somewhere less desirable for a variety of reasons and are making a concious descision whether they are coming from Edmonton or Orlando.

Very seriously, what makes Vancouver more appealing to you than Florida? I mean I've spent a fair amount of time down there, so I know it's got it's problems, but I'm curious as to why you personally feel that way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

The more than three million Canadians holding a HELOC owed an average amount of $65,000, the study released Tuesday by the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) found.  About one quarter of HELOC holders had a balance of more than $150,000.

Yet 25 per cent of respondents said they only made the interest payments month to month.

The survey found 62 per cent of those who paid only the interest expected to repay their HELOC in full within five years, a plan Toope called a "mathematical impossibility."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/heloc-debt-fcac-1.4978987

Pretty sure this has come up before but still Jesus Christ Canada get your act together.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

New Vancouver desperate house selling strategy: a sealed bid auction for a "$10 million" house, with no minimum price:

"SELLER AGREES TO USE sealed bid AUCTION(not live auction), WITHOUT RESERVE MINIMUM PRICE TO START OFFER, ALL OFFERS WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE SELLER ON FEBRUARY 8,2019 at 11am."

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For-Sale/BC/Vancouver/Kerrisdale/6349-ELM-STREET/69744692.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilTG2r9q_G4

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

What is going to be a more certain outcome? Jeffrey Epstein getting away with child sex trafficking or everyone involved with Canadian money laundering getting away scott-free?

Yes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that's a stunning yard, shame about what's bound to happen to it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

[6] The plaintiffs’ son attended BCIT, and the plaintiffs assisted him by renting an apartment for him while he was in school. They also gave him a truck when he was 16 years of age. In 2006, the plaintiffs purchased a house in Port Hardy for $107,000 for their son to live in, but registered it in their own names. They granted a mortgage to the Royal Bank of Canada for $80,250.00. They sold the property to their son on June 10, 2010 for $170,000. Their son took out a mortgage, also from the Royal Bank of Canada. The Purchaser’s and Vendors’ Statements of Adjustments show “[e]quity gifted by Vendor” of $34,000 “to Purchaser”.

[7] The plaintiffs testified that notwithstanding the reference to the funds being “gifted”, it was a loan and their son has repaid it.

color me suspicious

quote:

[8] A similar pattern of support occurred with the defendant. The plaintiffs provided her with a vehicle and paid for her undergraduate education at the University of Victoria, other than her contribution through a student loan of approximately $10,000. In 2014, the defendant sought bariatric surgery and approached her parents for funds to pay for it, as it was not covered under any plan. She entered into pre-surgical counselling in May of 2015 and the surgery occurred in October. She was recovered by December 2015.

[9] The defendant’s mother T.L.G. stated she removed funds from her RRSP and paid about $16,000 for the defendant’s surgery. The plaintiffs supported the surgery because it was, according to T.L.G., the first time their daughter wanted to “lose weight and become healthy”. She said it was a gift as the plaintiffs knew the defendant could not afford it.

So the plaintiffs have a pattern of gifting large sums of money to the kids...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

[43] V.J. [a friend of the plaintiff who testified at trial] had reviewed her records of her activities, saying she kept calendars going back 25 years noting her activities.

lol wtf

quote:

[47] The defendant’s objectivity and reliability are undermined by her assertion she lived in fear of her father G.A.G. and felt threatened by him. She testified she moved out of the Colwood Property and relocated to Nanaimo in late 2016 because her father had a key to the home and that was a threat to her. She referred as well to seeing her father working on vessels twice at her workplace in Nanaimo and said his presence caused her “shock and fear”. Yet she acknowledged that he had not contacted her since 2016. She provided no particulars supporting her alleged fear of her father. She testified she did not disclose her Nanaimo address at the discovery out of fear of her father. However, the Residential Tenancy Agreement for the residence she rents in Nanaimo, which was disclosed in these proceedings and put to her on cross-examination, shows the address of her home in Nanaimo. As a result, G.A.G. would have known where she lived since that disclosure, and yet he never approached her.

[48] In my view, the defendant’s move to Nanaimo was due to her employment there, not fear of her father.

[49] The defendant also referred to an email from her mother she said was threatening, but failed to produce it.

I think this is the way more incriminating bit.

e: I hope to god the CRA comes after them for the capital gains now that this is so plainly stated in the public record.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 31, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Helsing posted:

The question of whether it was an investment or a gift seems to be what the entire case hinges on though? For all intents and purposes they gave her the house and she legally owned it and then at a later point they said actually it was not a gift it was a poorly documented investment that was intentionally fudged to gain tax credits that the real purchases wasn't eligible for. The judge looked at the totality of the circumstances and decided based on everyone's stories and the available documentation that the parent's probably were telling the truth that they never gave their daughter the house and merely lied about it to avoid taxes.

It seems like if you're intentionally fudging ownership to avoid taxes then it's fair play if your partner in crime decides to abscond with the loot. There's no honour among thieves.

Yeah this strikes me as one of those cases where, to the extent that a valid contract may have existed, it's entire purpose was to break the law, and so should be non-enforceable on those grounds.

I'm sure legally there's a difference between violating the criminal code and violating the tax code, but there probably shouldn't be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

The rich are taxed more and the funds are spent on social welfare

:shrug:

You've got it backwards friend. We print money to pay for social welfare, then tax the rich to control inflation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

How prepared are the Canadian banks for the next recession? I have a family member working at TD and I don't want them laid off or stripped of retirement funds.

Well the banks will be fine because the government will 100% bail them out if it comes to that, but yeah they'd love an excuse to sacrifice poo poo like worker compensation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

1. National Observer