Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

jm20 posted:

Crooked House On Shaw Street In Toronto Listed For $688,800

That house is a duplex, so it's $688,800 for half, $1,377,600 for the whole lot. I like how realtors have to put lots of 8s in the price to attract Chinese buyers.

Here are the listings:
868 Shaw St, Toronto, ON, M6G 3M2
866 Shaw St, Toronto, ON, M6G 3M2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

triplexpac posted:

It makes perfect sense. They're not making any more land, so future houses will have to be built on levels ABOVE the ground. Basically we're looking at a Final Fantasy 7 scenario here.

Everything will be great until the Big One hits and Sector 7 collapses.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Maybe they were looking at the growth in China's income :confused:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

a bunch of real estate investor amateur landlord cunts

I believe the term you're looking for is "the landed gentry".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

But the gall of a labour lawyer arguing other people should work *more* free overtime when he probably wouldn't wipe his own rear end if he wasn't billable is rage inducing.

He most likely represents companies when they get sued for labour violations, rather than the employees doing the suing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I've worked in biotech my entire career and the only ones putting in anything over a 40 hour week without reimbursement are management or scientists, and that's usually in start ups.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oh, you're talking about the US. Yeah, they're crazy down there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I changed my RRSP in April, once the R word started being thrown about. 12 more days until we find out for sure!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure that the only reason people in this forum care about Jenny Kwan is because CI flips the gently caress out whenever she gets mentioned.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What is Jenny Kwans plan to keep ancestor ghosts out of my home prefecture?

This might just be the solution to the foreign investment problem in Vancouver.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shadoer posted:

Yeah that's a good idea. Odds are if you wait they'll recover.

Right now.... yeah things are pretty dark.

As long as you remember that the best investors are dead (i.e. they make an investment and then die without closing the account so they can't do anything dumb with their money) you'll do alright.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

Cuba spends 1/40th what the US does per capita and has the same life expectancy :v:

Cuba also has about 3 times as many doctors per capita as the US.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

None of those towers shown exist.

Maybe they will by May 23, 2025, but it will probably take more than a decade to clean up Surrey.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I love how the picture makes it seem like there's a huge line at Service Canada, but it's just because it hasn't opened yet.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Take the average house price in Belleville, multiply it by about 5 and you have the average price in North Delta.

Edit: I guess Belleville would be the equivalent of Hope in terms of prices and distance from downtown.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 26, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Have you guys been to the outlet mall they built near the airport yet? It's about a kilometer from the end of the runway so you get to experience the joys of a jet flying 200 m overhead every 2 minutes while you shop. Also the parking lot was designed by Lucifer himself.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just got back from the grocery store in downtown Richmond where there was a Mainland Chinese lady walking around with a Louis Vuitton bag in one hand and a plastic bag full of her child's piss in the other.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yep. Boomers are gonna start dying en masse soon, time to build a cemetery on every corner.

A hospice in every 'hood.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Statistics Canada posted:

On the other hand, the output of real estate agents and brokers (+9.9%) ... posted notable increases.

Nope, definitely not a bubble.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure that if an Arab prays over something it's halal.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My experience in renting a newish (2008) condo in Vancouver is "Thank god I didn't buy one."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tipps posted:

Basically, you'll have all manner of lounges, pools, spas, open-pit barbeque patios on the XXth floor, beehives on the roof, bowling lanes and gyms in the basement, etc. in the public areas, but your actual unit with be tiny, with a lovely floorplan, and bargain bin finishes that look like they are from a clearance sale at Canadian Tire.

The common areas are nice for about a week until the other residents move in and let their lovely little dogs pee all over everything.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Base salary for a post doctoral fellow at University of Toronto is $27,400 a year. Not much fun paying student loans on that poo poo.

Postdocs are expected to live off the fat of the land. I hear the squirrels in Queen's Park are delicious.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A 0.5 to 1% rate hike? Probably not a lot other than a slightly lower CAD. I don't think that BoC would hike rates considering the current state of Canada's economy. The IMF was squawking that USD denominated debt would be more expensive thanks to currency depreciation, which would hurt investment in developing countries and increase instability in global financial markets that were already pretty unstable due to the whole China thing. The risk of hurting the global economy coupled with lower than expected job growth numbers in the US probably made the Fed reconsider the whole thing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This is the most Vancouver link.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

David Ley "Leys" the smack down:

David Ley posted:

Metro Vancouver: ‘Unequal City’

It’s the most important justice issue in Metro Vancouver: Housing affordability.

And Regent College is hosting a major discussion on it and related topics on Thursday, Sept. 24th. The 7 p.m. event will include the scholar who is arguably the most important voice on the trans-national forces making Metro Vancouver unaffordable, especially for young families.

University of B.C. geography professor David Ley is the author of the groundbreaking book, Millionaire Migrants: Trans-Pacific Life Lines. He’s calling his brief talk “Housing Affordability: A Sign of the Times.”

“The ‘sign of the times’ is growing inequality,” Ley told an organizer of Thursday’s event.

“A globalized world of almost unrestricted capital flows leads to asset bubbles, and property has become a very significant asset bubble. But not everywhere, only in selected places (such as Metro Vancouver),” Ley said.

“Housing is becoming one of the central questions of our time, because it leads into so many other issues. It’s like a nexus around which a whole lot of other issues unfold. Vancouver is a particularly good laboratory to look at this because the issues are so fraught here.”

Ley’s current research involves a comparative study of housing market bubbles in five global cities. He is also a participant in the national Neighbourhood Change Research Partnership, examining growing income inequality and polarization in large Canadian cities.

Ley will be joined by five other noted speakers at the two-hour forum at Regent College, which is at the corner of University Boulevard and Wesbrook on the University of B.C. campus.

The event, which begins at 7 pm., is titled Q Commons Vancouver: Home, Community and Belonging. Tickets are required.

Here are excerpts from a revealing interview Ley gave in advance of the Sept. 24th forum:

David Ley:

There was an Angus Reid study that came out in the spring, asking people in (Metro Vancouver) what are the most important urban issues they can identify. And housing emerged first…. One of the groups was “very uncomfortable” and “stressed”—those who are paying a high proportion on housing, who typically have a long commute, who are younger people, who have a family with children, who are the most highly educated of the four groups. And now here is the clincher: 80% of whom are seriously considering leaving this region because of the cost of owning a home….

Q: What are some of the reasons housing prices have skyrocketed in Vancouver?

David Ley:

The problem does not have a local cause because local incomes cannot support the housing market that we encounter here.

The role of wealth migration in shaping our housing market is significant: 200,000 people have come to Vancouver through business immigration programs in the last generation. All of those households are millionaire households—that’s how you qualified for the program. This has led to an enormous dump of wealth on the local housing market….

Q: What can we do about this?

David Ley:

The answers have to be political answers. The scale of the challenge is so great…. But not even at the scale of the city government can one really address these questions. It needs a concerted effort by all three levels of government. And we are a long, long way from that in Canada. We don’t even have a national housing plan….

Q: What is the knock-on impact of affordability of housing on our shared life together?

David Ley:

There are some obvious things, and then some less obvious things.The obvious things are what we all know from our own experience or the experience of people we know in terms of housing stress. How do people adjust to a market like this? We have a 27-year-old and his family living in our house. We’re delighted—I’m a great believer in extended family gatherings. So that’s one adjustment.

People move away, as this Angus Reid poll suggests. People double up. People live in smaller units. People take on very risky debt loads. There are illegal suites throughout the region that are absolutely critical not only for people’s housing but as mortgage helpers….

Regent College, an evangelical Christian graduate school, says the purpose of Q Commons, which is modelled on programs in other parts of the world, is to “convene local leaders to think, learn, and work together on common topics and issues in our cities. The conversation in Vancouver will centre around issues of home through a variety of different lenses: housing affordability, building community, and infusing more happiness into a city sometimes described as fostering loneliness.”

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

Vancouver's very own Hootsuite is one of the biggest tech companies in the world, creating hundreds of jobs.

Some of which are now actually paid!

:vince:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ehhhhhhnnnnnn posted:

Hi, just wanted to pop in to say they didn't let Elizabeth May into this debate because she'd mop the floor with everybody.

I also saw the Canada tag and decided to post about something completely unrelated.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ehhhhhhnnnnnn posted:

this is the only canada thread?

There's a whole forum for that poo poo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

How do alarm bells not start ringing in your head when someone suggests you should borrow almost 6x your household income what is wrong with these people aaaaaargh

But all you have to do is put 5% down and reduce your desired standard of living to "ghetto squalor"!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If Stephen Harper has his way, 72.5 per cent of Canadians will be homeowners by 2020

quote:

Conservative Party Leader Stephen Harper announced a plan Tuesday to create 700,000 new homeowners by 2020, even as housing prices continue to soar in Canada’s largest markets.

Harper appeared at a half-built, high-end subdivision in Vaughan, Ontario the morning after a bruising foreign policy debate in Toronto. There he declared a new goal to have 72.5 per cent of Canadians own their homes by the end of the decade.

None of the measures announced Tuesday are new. They involve a mix of tax incentives and savings loopholes, buttressed by a pledge to collect data on foreign home ownership and to take “concrete action” against “foreign non-resident real estate speculation.”

What is new the aspirational goal to have a certain number of non-owners buy their first homes by a certain date.

The Conservatives’ bullish homeownership plan comes as economists continue to issue warnings about the overheated housing market in Vancouver and the Greater Toronto Area. A sign advertising homes in the subdivision Harper appeared at Tuesday listed a price of over $880,000, not unusual in area where single family home prices have spiked dramatically in recent years.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

YeOldeButchere posted:

Yes, YES! Soon we will have a 100% ownership rate! No longer will we have to fear for all of the home-poor, prideless Canadians! No longer will the specter of renting haunt this great country! No longer will the under-mortgaged plague the FIRE industry! A glorious utopia is about to dawn on our Fair Dominion!

And we will pay for it by being LEVERAGED TO THE TITS! :getin::canada:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is "battlers" some kind of Australian slang that I haven't heard of before (akin to the UK "punters") or does it refer to something else?

Australia is like Mad Max IRL and they earn their living in the THUNDERDOME. :perfect:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I like my explanation better.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My bus ride occasionally has a dude who goes around ripping up the bus seats looking for garbage underneath, which he then picks up with his filthy hands and throws out the door at bus stops, while muttering about how it's "double gross" or occasionally "triple gross". If it's so gross just don't loving touch it, or better yet don't go looking for it in the first place.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pretty sure Labrador doesn't have any companies.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

computer parts posted:

>Due to NIMBYs, all new housing is a 20 minute drive from city center

20 mins? Such luxury! :swoon:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

etalian posted:

Also look at the MP map, looks like even after 10 years of great Harper success Alberta is still pro conservative:

:wtc: is St. Albert doing on that map? Of all the cities you could list, why pick a suburb of Edmonton?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

We booted them off the island too! Orange crush!! Go NDP... oh it's just my island.

You might want to get the tip looked at. It's all green. I think it's diseased or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Perhaps they should be buying dog houses? :downsrim:

You mean like these?