Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Baronjutter posted:

7% eh? DeutscheBank thinks 60%. Bit of a difference of opinion.

Even 7% would be enough to sink some people in my circle. There's no pretending anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

EvilJoven posted:

gently caress it, I'm buying a house.

It's obvious now that our banks and government are going to allow the housing market inflate so bad and everyone who didn't max themselves out already is going to be left holding the bag.

It is starting to look like this, yes

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Some anecdotes:

I work with a lot of people in the 80 to 100k a year salary range, and a very small minority, maybe 1 in 20, does not own either a condo or a house.

Of those owning houses, they tend to be in their mid 30s or older, with many owning multiple "investment" properties, some preconstruction, some rented. The older the person is, the more likely he is to own multiple properties.

People in their 20s to early 30s tend to own condos, and again, later 20s tend to own multiple condos or a condo (investment/rental) and a house as a primary residence.

Married people tend to own houses, while single people tend to own condos. And the plural is intended.

Those not already owning multiple properties seem to be interested in buying preconstructions. No one I ask would be willing to buy a residence for what their own assessed value is (granted, I've only asked like four people this).

And dear lord do they eat up the "there is no bubble" news stories. People react with hostility to any suggestion otherwise, so now I just nod and praise their financial prudence, as is expected.

Some days it makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach, as something is definitely, seriously wrong, but there is nothing to be done.

I don't particularly want or need property at this point in my life, as I move around a lot, but I'm sick of being talked down to about my decision not to buy. I could definitely afford to, however, it would wipe out my savings and mess up my actual investments.

I wish people would just loving shut up about houses, I guess. I don't work in real estate and I do not prompt these conversations.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 28, 2014

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Cultural Imperial posted:

I love these anecdotes. What sort of jobs do these people have? Are they university educated?

Transport, tradesmen on contract. Some are, though it is more common with people in their 20s who changed careers after not finding work in their field.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

This loving piece of poo poo

Hungry Hungry Hippos: Mortgage Edition. For the seasoned investor.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but have you made an honest, thorough search for a better rental? I understand getting frustrated with moving, but it may be your best option.

I use moves as a time to redo my budget and cull some of the crap I no longer need, so that at least the headache ends with simplicity.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Amos Moses posted:

I'm stuck behind a rock and hard place rental wise. Any private renter here will quickly give you the heave-ho from say a basement apartment if they have a friend who needs a place to rent
or some poo poo like that. Grandma can't take of herself anymore? Sorry, need the apartment now.

It sounds like you really believe you have no better option than to buy. I'm not saying it's not true, but I'd encourage you to spend some time each day looking for rentals, even if it means retracing your steps occasionally.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
It's still ridiculous to praise someone for rolling back the very changes he enacted, years after the policy created a damaging misallocation in the market.

I actually thought he was joking, but apparently when this all blows up it will be the current government's fault and no one else's.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

I love the language in the reports from those with vested interests: once you start noticing "soft," "cooling, " "gradual," "slow," "stable," and their variations, it seems both incredibly deliberate and desperate.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
I don't think he's necessarily incorrect. Some markets will crash, certainly, but others could remain a steady, stagnant hell unless mortgage rates rise and clear out all of the bad "investments."

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

This is more or less my take, barring some kind of crisis ala 2008 that gets people in a panic.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
I don't think it's mopey to take this view of our economy, w/r to FIRE in particular. Young people just need to get used to the idea of not owning lovely $600K bungalows and townhouses.

That people get depressed about not owning these things is, somewhat ironically, at least partially responsible for their current valuations.

I gave up on home ownership years ago - - not because I couldn't (or can't) afford it, but because I couldn't justify it at these prices. That so many people in worse financial positions *can* justify it is very interesting to me, and it says a lot about our cultural values.

It's seriously not a terrible life to make okay money, have conservative, diversified investments (even if you don't have much to invest), rent, and enjoy cash flow / not servicing a pile of volatile debt.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Anyone else have to sit through a "get in now or you'll never be able to" real estate pitch from family over Easter dinner?

Things I learned:

- Now is the best time to buy, because
- you'll never be able to earn as fast as real estate values go up, and
- prices will go up, forever.

A well-meaning uncle was trying to talk me into buying a $350k condo (1 bedroom, tiny shitboxes) before I was priced out of the area, which, given the demographics, is absurd. It was really hard to stay diplomatic on this one, but I managed and said some non-committal things. He told me I'd be sorry in a few years if I didn't, because they'd be worth half a million.

This was followed by a brief conversation about how much money everyone had made on their (unsold) houses, until finally the topic changed and I didn't have to fight the urge to start screaming incoherently and pulling my hair out.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 21, 2014

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
It's demonstrative of how people tend to only see what they want to see. I'd love an American's take on our disaster-in-waiting.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 21, 2014

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

As an American who married into not one, but two mortgage clusterfucks, all I can say is that the market is only going to go up, up, up!!!

PS - Anyone want to buy a shack fixer upper in Prince Rupert?

Is there any different feeling to this Canadian brand of stupid? Our government seems to be tacitly supporting it through our CMHC.

Another aspect is our realtor cartel and their "home price index," which is hard to defend as anything other than an attempt to obfuscate market data.

If anyone is knowledgeable about the home price index (HPI), or has a head for math and wants to take a look at their method for calculating it, it would be interesting to learn more about. Googling "MLS HPI user guide" returns, as the first result, a pdf with their methodology and the equations used.

I recall reading that MLS has been caught revising year to year data to inflate sales data further.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 22, 2014

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
It's nice to hear that I am not perhaps the insane one, but it doesn't make me feel much better, because the other option is that the people I care about most have lost their minds.

I just wish there were a way to unfuck our economy without hurting a bunch of low-info people who committed the crime of responding in a way the government either predicted and just didn't care much about, or was too incompetent to understand.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Well let's not absolve all these 'equity' builders from their own greed.

After seeing the firestorm of hubris surrounding that NYT report on the "middle class," I'm feeling less generous.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Lead out in cuffs posted:

People are responding to that article with hubris? I thought the whole point of the article was to point out the hubris and warn of the house price and debt nemesis.

Check out G&M, Huffpo, National Post if you feel like punishing yourself. I don't see the Star or CBC reporting on it, though.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Lobok posted:

Cheap housing a GO train ride away from Toronto.

If you don't mind spending four hours a day on the train

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Lets get one thing straight here. If mortgage rates weren't so cheap and lending standards weren't so lax, we would probably not have a bubble. Canada totally jumped the shark when The Best Financial Minister of All Time Jim Flaherty PBUH increased amortization to 40 years, greenlighted 5% down, and a host of other retarded nonsense in order to 'rescue' Canada from the 2008 implosion. There isn't anything else going on to drive this mania to ~*build EqUiTy*~.

Last month's REBGV numbers indicate a major pick up in sales activity mid way through April. BMO's reintroduction of 2.99% mortgages coincided with that increase. Is it coincidence?

If you think your luxury equity building in the middle of downtown Toronto is going to be immune to any market implosion, then I'd love to hear why. That'd be like standing in the middle of lac-megantic wearing a flame proof suit.

It's amazing how people ignore the effects of that 5% down, 40 year mortgage boost. RE was crashing in Canada, around the same time as the US, and Flaherty goosed the market.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

El Scotch posted:

I just wanted to drop by to check if things have crashed yet?

If it hasn't crashed yet, there is no bubble. That's the way this works, right?

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Historically low interest rates, government-insured mortgages, and lax lending standards have nothing to do with it. No, we're simply a cut above New York, London, Paris, and we're running out of land, in Canada.

And this is what people actually believe.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
I would support this, so long as everyone affected had "I am a financially illiterate moron" permanently branded on their face.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Rutibex posted:

Combine with a guaranteed minimum income. Any important businesses that fail due to the transition are nationalized. Bam, done.

You'd be providing a payout to the the richest 70%+ of the population. The people who would most need that money do not have mortgages. This is a stupid idea, and you are stupid for suggesting it.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Rutibex posted:

People that are currently renting would now own their property and no longer need to pay rent. It would also be an anti-payout to anyone that owned rental property or investments in mortgages. It's not perfect egalitarianism but it's a lot closer to it than we have now and would cause a lot less social disruption.

I had no idea there was a Canadian Star Trek. I wish it was in english :(

I'll take back the stupid comment if you can provide a reasonable answer to ownership claims, in the case of someone renting from someone with a mortgage on their property (this is very common now, with condos and townhouses). Similarly, what about people renting from a rental agency?

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Rutibex posted:

Its quite simple; ownership transfers to whoever the current resident is. In the case of apartment buildings/condos/town homes the ownership becomes a common co-operative with each resident having an equal share.

Obviously a moratorium on evictions would be necessary right before. Any currently vacant residences go into a common pool to be distributed to the homeless.

So if someone were renting their house to three people, it would now become a cooperative between the owner and the three people it was rented to? I'm about as far left as you can get, but that's basically confiscating property, and it's completely unrealistic.

I mean, you'd be rewarding people who didn't rent out the family house for whatever reason, with total ownership.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Too far out there, for me. I'd rather see some people go bankrupt and some banks topple.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Yeah guys, everything's fine. That's why we can't raise interest rates by 1% without destroying the country.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

peter banana posted:

Could we conceivably have 100% mortgages before that happens? It seemed unlikely a few years ago, but I'm kind of thinking anything's possible now.

We did and do, when you account for cash-back mortgages. The bank will lend you your downpayment. It's common.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 11, 2014

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Oh, thank goodness. We can finally get back to buying houses again, now that the market has cooled and had a soft landing.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

ZShakespeare posted:

This entire thread is people bitching about who other people can afford to buy houses.... There is a real issue worth talking about here, but hey, why do that when we can bitch about people who don't have to rent?

Yep, no dangerous asset bubble here. Just plain old jealousy and dumb renters. Just wait until valuations are 100% higher in five years - - that'll shut up all those envious renters at the IMF.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

If this is the same HPI created and cultivated by the CREA, the same real estate cartel who fight to keep housing data secret from consumers, that's why. Its stated purpose was to smooth the data (obscure evidence of a bubble).

Nm I see this is "House" not "Home." Would be curious to see what your data is tracking, but I am phone posting. Conjecture, but increases in price could be offset by increases in starts of smaller houses (i. e., condos) at what are still too high prices.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 6, 2014

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

I love that the CMHC version of the mythical soft landing still includes rising prices.

"It's okay: prices will still go up forever."

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

LemonDrizzle posted:

An 'ideal' soft landing would have prices going up very slowly in nominal terms but declining in real terms and in relation to wages, so there's nothing really wrong with that comment.

Considering their forecast increase is well above what people will be receiving as cost of living, that's really not the message they're going for here.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Hey, a realtor!

The answers to your questions are in this thread: no, there is nothing historically to suggest this is sustainable. The party inevitably stops somewhere, even if it takes a decade.

Would someone be happy if they bought a year ago? Depends. A friend is currently renting a condo out at a loss and is pretty unhappy about it, but most people are financially illiterate and would feel secure in their wise investing strategy (everything leveraged into one asset that the rest of the world is warning us about, because it always goes up forever).

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

It says a lot about the industry that he waited until he was "outgoing" to say this

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Baronjutter posted:

haha seriously? "If you're not up to you eyeballs in housing debt you're a financial simpleton!" ???

For what it's worth, I think buying is a terrible idea right now, but if I were carrying a mortgage with a rock-bottom interest rate, I'd be putting my money to work somewhere other than accelerated mortgage payments.

With inflation and rates how they've been (even with a modest increase), the main risk in housing isn't servicing debt but capital loss, I would think, i.e. a correction/crash.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Lexicon posted:

This is stunning, if true. I look around me in BC and I see a lot of what appears to be the trappings of success: nice cars, homes, vacations, etc. I find it very hard to internalize the reality that most of it is illusory, and built on lies and debt.

edit: Now is it that the average family owes an average of $20k or the average family with debt owes an average of $20k?

It's a bit unclear. Average is kind of a bad metric as well, but there's still clearly something bad going on.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Major upgrades are coming down the pipe for the Barrie line. The system of train control on that line in particular is archaic (no signal system north of Aurora), but a modern one has been installed, just not wired together yet. That'll let them run more trains with fewer delays.

Edit: Worth noting, your statistic of declining ridership appears to apply to Barrie Transit, not Go Transit in particular. The article also claims that ridership is increasing in recent times despite an overall decrease over a greater period.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

ohgodwhat posted:

So how do I short Canadian real estate? You guys have convinced me.

Could probably do something with REITs and banks, though they are insulated through CMHC.

Construction and home reno would go tits up, though you'd have to find Canadian companies.