Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Financial literacy will never be taught because that would mean admitting that financial institutions don't desublimate into existence spontaneously to meet the demands of uncoerced, rational, utility seeking individuals. If children need to be taught how to use the system, then you can't claim their desires formed it.

And why should we teach people anything when the industry can be regulated? Why teach an entire population continuously when the actions of a handful of organizations can be changed?

If we're going to teach anything to children, it should be to give usurers an old-fashioned Amish shunning.

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Xoidanor posted:

I wouldn't be entirely against the idea of a public sector stock market and banking sector but it's obvious that it's not happening anytime in the coming decades.

Britain nationalized banks, Sweden nationalized banks, Iceland nationalized banks, and those are only recent examples. It might happen.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Inheritance is an unholy ceremony in which all the grifters, greedy relatives, and pious executers have their sacred rites to perform.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
That's between you and your mortgage broker. And mortgage brokers are the Protestant equivalent of an archbishop.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Cultural Imperial posted:

If any of you are really interested in understanding how QE works and what central banker lizardmen really think, check out the BoE's new blog: http://bankunderground.co.uk/.

Truck Chat:

Here's why we don't get awesome small european and japanese trucks.

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/19/415671756/how-a-tax-on-chicken-changed-the-playing-field-for-u-s-automakers

tl;dr For all you NDP voting SJWs, it's because you're all voting for assholes who are trying to PROTECT JOBS FOR CANADIANS

SO gently caress you

I'm glad the few incidental votes I've thrown the NDP's way have destroyed your dream of owning an Izuzu Elf.

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 20, 2015

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Somehow banks being dicks is less contemptible, not even worth commenting on in fact, than people not realizing banks are dicks. It's weird what 541 pages of circle-jerking can do.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

vyelkin posted:

Is Matthew Perry buying up overvalued Canadian real estate for some reason?

He sent the son he had with Newt Gingrich as his proxy.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

For some people it would be pretty fun to buy some bare land in the woods by a lake and then build a cool cabin from scratch on it over a decade or so. I have a friend that's doing this on one of the Gulf Islands and I'm a bit jealous. I assume that's how a lot of cottage country got started ages ago. As EvilJoven said, at this point a lot of people in Southern Ontario are staying in their great grandfather's cabin that they inherited.

My friend who's going to inherit a Southern Ontario family cottage was saying that after WW2 the government released a lot of land from government ownership (crown land maybe? I don't recall), or they relaxed the rules about where you could buy, and you could get a plot practically for free. His gramps grabbed a plot and built cabins for his brothers and sisters. The whole spread's probably worth multi-millions.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/08/09/real-estate-agents-sales-pitch-to-bereaved-bc-man-creates-storm.html

Vancouver real estate was the subject of the second part of Gogol's Dead Souls.

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 10, 2016

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

When has anyone asked how our kids are going to be able to afford a place to live, let alone a vacation property? No one thinks about the future any more. It's FYGM all the way down and screw everyone else.

If you're worried about the future and want a plan that puts a home for your children within reach then I recommend making a large investment in real estate.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I see a chart like that and I say a prayer for all the victims who own their homes and now have to pay slightly more in property taxes.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Pretty heartless to only reduce property taxes by half. You don't know what it's like to be old and helpless and afraid for the future I guess.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Do grocers in other countries arrange their cheeses in different parts of the store based on what class of person eats them or is that just a Canadian thing?

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

ARTPUP posted:

Seeing more and more land for sale that is basically conservation protected on realtor.ca You pay for the land but cannot build on it. Here's one from Burlington: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23476535/1412-hidden-valley-road-burlington

What would be the point of buying this? Could you at least put a road in, then have a camper to "live" there? Only thing I can think of is to buy the land, then donate it to the Conservation Authority and get a tax deduction for the value...

Not a bad bet since this conservation land is right by a Metrolinx station. Isn't it part of the big push for rapid transit in the GTA that the province will override municipal zoning laws for transit-oriented development?

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 19, 2021

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I suppose you guys aren't excited for RapidBus: BC Transit's new rebranding of its existing buses to seem like they're improving service. Sounds like a Bus Rapid Transit plan, right? Exactly! That is exactly the impression the RapidBus plan was designed to give without actually being a BRT.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I'll take your word for it. I'm not well versed in the mainland way of doing things.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

National housing stats are useless too, markets are regional. It doesn't matter if there's 5,000 empty units in Moosejaw when there's 0% vacancy in Victoria. People want to live where their jobs, families, and friends are.

Not saying vacancy is high in Victoria, but it did double in 2020 to 2.2%. The 2021 report is out soon which will be interesting. My hunch is the vacancy rate rose again. In that case it will be a couple consecutive years of rising vacancies paired with rising rents. We might be seeing a start of the separation between what people will pay and the return investors expect with rising interest rates.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I pity someone who left a long term tenancy because of covid, dead or alive. The 2020 CMHC report emphasized that vacancies were on the westshore, so newer purpose-built rentals that weren't filling up as fast you would expect if the rise in rents was dominated by excess demand. It could be that this was a reaction to covid, but it could also be pricing in interest rate risk has moved rents beyond incomes. And Victoria isn't going to add a bunch of well-paying jobs just because landlords are planning for rates to rise.

Of course I could be wrong. The 2021 report is coming out soon enough.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Students are restricted in what they can rent to an extent by student loans. They're also restricted by parents who won't pay $1750+ a month for their 18 year old daughter to live in a 460 sqft studio across the street from a homeless shelter. https://victoria.craigslist.org/apa/d/victoria-studio-the-best-amenities-in/7422788003.html.

Maybe that's just because they had the option to let her stay at home last year, but maybe not.

But I agree, the biggest x factor is the student housing situation.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

Maybe government's stress test did the job, or maybe Canadians are much better at finding a way to pay for spiking mortgage costs than anyone assumed. In any case it doesn't seem like a housing collapse is coming due to interest rates.

The rates haven't stopped going up and the layoffs haven't started yet. We are going to keep dancing until the music stops.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

a primate posted:

Commuting distances are getting wild because businesses refuse to move out of the downtown core.

I've seen a company collapse because key employees didn't like the extra commute to the new office that a slim majority wanted. Like out of business in a year.

I wouldn't move offices right now unless you felt you could staff up fast enough to replace the employees you're moving further from.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

leftist heap posted:

Ok, I didn't realize these many of these were considered exchanges. Struggle to see this making too big a difference.

The great thing about how they organized Uptown is that there's about 5 routes that go from there downtown, but they all stop at different stops. Could've had effective high frequency along the busiest corridor, but nah, spread em out all over the place so the central area can have both multiple parking lots and a faux pedestrianized street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I'm pulling into the Uptown Bus Exchange, I'll call you back after I walk half a kilometer to my connecting bus.