Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My mom as well has downgraded---sold the house in 2011 for $650k (an insane amount at the time, we thought, lol!) and rents a nice apartment in the same neighbourhood for $850 a month. She doesn't worry about anything, it is pretty great.

My wife and I are currently mortgage free, living in a two bedroom condo that we paid off recently. We are expecting our second child in February and my wife wants a house----which I think is not a terrible idea if things continue to slow down.

We have a family friend who is an agent and we saw a few places a couple of weeks ago, most of them pretty crappy. Some of them had been on the market for a few weeks but two of them had been listed for more than 40 days. We saw one that was kind of interesting but overpriced ($890k for a semi close to a subway on the Danforth line) but we didn't bite; I asked the agent if it sold and she said that after 3 weeks on the market, there were no offers and the owners had pulled the listing. The listing agent said that the owners intended to do some small renos and re-list it. The house was vacant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

An archived real estate listing from 2014 shows the Kirshenblatts were asking almost $4.3 million for the newly renovated Vesta Dr. house.

It was sold for $3.6 million in February 2015, almost $2 million more than what the Kirshenblatts paid to purchase the house in 2013, according to land registry information.

Christ.

Are the interest rates going up in October?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
They've been doing that for years and years; my sister lives in Roncesvalles and when that neighbourhood started blowing up in the early 2000s, she would get agents coming by and complimenting her garden or her kids or her parking job, just to be able to start talking to her and then somehow work in that "YOU CAN MAKE A LOT OF MONEY ON YOUR HOUSE!" spiel. They are all terrible.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
How do I convince my wife that now is a really bad time to buy a house in the GTA? She wants to buy before January, we have our second child due in February.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My wife and I went to a couple of open houses this weekend, we really liked a smallish semi that was pretty close to Greenwood subway with an asking price of $749K. We thought it would sell for $850 or maybe $900, it sold for $1,016,000.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Subjunctive posted:

Didn't she used to have that food segment on CBC1?

Also, a new build near me sold for $95K under asking after a month on the market. Are we at the peak?

You can use mongohouse.com to see what houses in Toronto are actually selling for, everything is going for lower than asking except in Toronto proper.

I don't see an option to see how long a house is listed for and I don't think it shows houses that are taken off the market without selling.

Good tool though, the TREB fought to keep this information private...

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

is it happening? maybe, idk 513 -> 77 is pretty lol though.

What's the source of this doc? 77 is pretty bad, even if that is just the first week of January.

Mongohouse is a pretty good site for perusing real estate listings, it shows sold listing as well as an aggregate of sold listing for neighbourhoods.

This dumb sucker paid almost $600K over asking for a semi in April, wonder what it would sell for today?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I see that TREB is suing Mongohouse and they had to take their site down, bummer.

How long until TREB is rendered obsolete? 18 months or so?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
What do you guys think of the Eglinton LRT in Toronto? Seems like it might be pretty okay, it is long anyways, and it just got approval to be extended east out to Kingston Road and then north up to Malvern.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Of course that arrested Huawei executive has a hideous McMansion in Vancouver.

A multi-billionaire lives here? Like, what the gently caress, lol.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Toronto is short $80 million due to lower than expected revenue from the land transfer tax so they raised the property tax to make up for it.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
"How long will such low sales last?"

Sales will increase when prices come down. I would bet that anyone serious about buying a house is going to take a "wait and see" attitude now which will of course mean fewer sales. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
This seems so quaint to me, a house purchased near a major urban centre for $460K

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/29/success/when-will-housing-market-cool-off-feseries/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

76 all-cash offers on one home. The housing madness shows no signs of slowing

Ellen Coleman had never received so many offers on a house in her 15 years of selling real estate.
She listed a fixer-upper in suburban Washington, DC for $275,000 on a Thursday. By Sunday evening, she had 88 offers.