Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We just bought a place in Edmonton - half duplex, 2009 construction, 3bdrm/2.5bath, unfinished basement - total price was $320k with CMHC and associated costs, with about 6% down. Our household income is just over $100k. The wife is thinking we can turn around and sell for $350k+ in 3-5 years and I'm not sure how to break it to her that's probably not going to happen.
On the plus side now I get to figure out how to finish a basement! So that should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Vancouver, ladies and gentlemen:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/12/vancouver-vs-beverly-hills-what-4-89-million-will-buy-in-real-estate/

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

That stuff about amenities is bullshit. I bet you most vancouverites don't care about swimming pools or saunas. It's hard enough to find an apartment with in suite laundry for gods sake.

Good Lord, in suite laundry nothing, I would have killed for in *building* laundry. gently caress walking to the laundromat and gently caress having to get $25 in loonies to clean my clothes.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
$3000 in CC debt from a string of bad times a few years back. No loans, but I do have a $270k mortgage and a $25k car loan.
Wife's got about $7000 in school loans to pay off.

But we're both working, no kids, sock away 30% of the income monthly to various savings, good RRSPs and TFSAs.

I think we're in a good place, and every time I despair I read the Financial Post Personal Finance section or come to this thread :unsmith:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

The car loan was the part that caught your attention? Putting 30% of your income towards investments while having $3000 in credit card debt from several years back is just... :psyduck:

Down from $12k last year, feels pretty good. And its on a low rate so it doesn't bother me that much. 3 or 4 more months to paid off.
Car loan is at 0% as well.
The savings is a nice buffer. And I'd rather build up some savings than be stuck in the lurch if things went bad - which is what happened to originally get me into the CC debt in the first place.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
One time I called in to MasterCard to have my limit reduced to $1000 after having it suddenly jumped to $10,000 and had to explain to three different people that yes, I meant less. No, not more. No, don't double the limit.

Credit cards are silly things.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

hahhahahah Hal's avatar.

Where the hell do you work? Who is still handing out defined benefit pensions these days?

My wife has one.

She works for Alberta Pension Services :unsmith:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

PT6A posted:

Is there a single sane Canadian who still holds even an iota of respect for their alma mater?

Medicine Hat College represent! :banjo:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

I can literally see this location from my office, and there are 3 trucks in front of it RIGHT NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

PT6A posted:

Is there anyone that comes door-to-door and shouldn't be ignored and despised? Bottle drives and census workers are all I can think of.

I actually wish bottle drives were allowed into my condo building. If I throw them in the building's recycling, it's a mixed bin and they don't get reused, and either way I don't get the deposit, so it'd be nice if it could help someone and save me some work at the same time.

The only time I answer the door is if I know the Girl Scouts are out with cookies, or if Canada Post is coming with my 15g of Girl Scout Cookies. Even then, there's enough people at the office that bring boxes in that I can get my fix without answering the door.

So basically bottle drives, cookies, and weed. Everything else can get hosed.