Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Well clearly there's high demand and a short supply otherwise the price wouldn't be that high. Markets people, markets. Perhaps Nelson is the 2nd best place on earth?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Maybe to get your frozen rear end eaten by a starving grizzly.

Nelson: The Best Place Outdoors!

Slight derail, but Nelson, BC and Fort Nelson, BC are two completely different places. Nelson is in the Kootenays and is quite nice, although I assume house prices there are bananas as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Time to poo poo on that video until they disable comments.

EDIT: My wife went to UW and the thought of any student paying 800 a month to split a condo is almost as hilarious as the thought of the condo being worth close to half a million in 5 years.

haha no kidding, I was at UW myself about 10 years ago and for most of my time there I rented a house with four other guys, paying about $400/mo each. That was about average, I think the most anyone would seriously consider paying for rent at the time was maybe $500/mo, and in the summer a lot of people were looking for cheap sublets closer to $300. Granted that was 10 years ago but I doubt that the average is much higher these days, especially given that students are paying more tuition now too. $800/mo is ludicrous to expect students to pay, heck I'm employed as a postdoc right now and I would have to think about paying that much for a one-bedroom, let alone to split a place with someone else.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah, at the very least it's completely disingenuous to suggest that you're drawing from a prospective renting pool of 50,000 UW/WLU students or whatever they said it was, when only a very small number could even consider paying that much.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

HookShot posted:

I had a cab driver in Adelaide, Australia once try and tell me that he didn't have change for a $50 for a $20 fare ($50s are ridiculously common in Australia, it's not like here, they're basically as common as 20s are here, since their ATMs dispense them) and when I told him I was just going to leave then, because I wasn't giving him a $30 tip, he magically withdrew a roll of $5s and $10s for change.

Reminds me of the time I was in Hawaii and gave a guy $40 for a $25 fare because all I had at that point were US twenties... he started to drive off and then got kind of pissy when I told him that I wanted ten bucks back :laffo:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

eXXon posted:

We're not saying that past performance guarantees future results, but if it did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ALqhgVK9M

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Is it just me or does the formatting on that page go completely screwy around October 2013? I wanted to keep reading but couldn't :(
Maybe I need to upgrade my browser or something.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Alberta food bank surge: sign of bad times for all?

quote:

Due to a slow down in the oil patch, food banks across Alberta are suddenly overrun with demand. Today, Alberta Food Banks is issuing a news release with an urgent call for donations, saying "the shelves are bare" at many locations.

"I've personally talked to a dozen food banks in the last two to three months and I can't think of one that has said their numbers haven't increased," executive director Stephanie Rigby said. "We know that there may be more to come, and I know the food banks are bracing."

Many newcomers, such as Pamela in Edmonton, are first-time users. "I never thought it would come to this," she said about seeking donated food.

Until she was laid off at Christmas, Pamela was earning $38 an hour working in the oil industry. We are withholding her last name because she worries publishing it will hurt her chances of landing another job.

Pamela says she and her husband, who's off work due to an injury, finally decided to turn to the food bank because they're running out of cash. They can barely keep up with their bills and are struggling to make the minimum payments on $17,000 in credit-card debt they've racked up to cover costs.

"We've fallen upon hard times," Pamela said, adding that it's "a common experience" in oil country.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

HookShot posted:

Hey is there still a canpol thread in D&D or am I just blind af and can't find it?

It got moved to Election Erection since we have an erection election coming up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733142