Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

Yes, and so does Vancouver and every other place in Canada.

Move to Spain and post in the Euro threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Cottages (we call them cabins) are pretty nice they are in the woods you can fish and hunt from your front door or go on snowmobile or boat if that's your thing. I live in a podunk town of 15 thousand but still have a cottage in the woods to retreat to about 2 hours away. Maybe the Ontario version is different than the Newfoundland one though. Theres much worse ways to spend your money, I'm sure most of the people who go out to their cottage would live there full time if it were viable.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You are looking at at least 2 grand even from Toronto to stay at a good resort and that would be the cheapest departure point I would presume.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

Yes, and? I accept it's a waste of money (arguably you could say "Don't you drive a car?" because cars are huge money pits no matter what), but I like it and I bought it outright.

EDIT: I have an iPhone, an iPad, a MacBook Air and a 27" iMac too. But I'm not in debt for them (or indeed for anything else).

Pretty sweet man... You own a lot of cool poo poo. I think those store or company based financing instruments are predatory though and shouldn't be allowed. Particularly the interest structure.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They sound like idiots

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

is this beer bought with cheap credit or something?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

I find Firefighters are the male version of Nurses who think they are really intelligent and paragons of their community while demonstrating the exact opposite and blaming someone else. Don't take financial advice from firefighter buddies. Don't take medical advice from nurses.

Yeah man I mean nurses only do four years of schooling what the hell do they know?

Edit; and some of them smoke cigarettes!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

4 years of nursing education

You can clean up after patients and distribute meds that a DOCTOR (who actually went to school to learn about medicine) prescribes.

I also went through schooling, but I would never give you medical advice because I'm not a doctor. I could give you some financial advice, but I'm not a firefighter so that's up to you to determine whether I'm qualified.

I think you underestimate the bn curriculum.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd say you're on to something! Afaik Spain doesn't do tipping, could you maybe shed some light on that particular aspect of Spanish culture? You seem knowledgeable about the region.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been to Europe, do you think the debt bubble is fueled by tips?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This is a man with 40 pages of posts in the canadian politics thread. Truly the alpha male we should aspire to be

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I only noticed today you can lock in for 10 years at 3.49. I'm almost at the point of saying gently caress it and buying something with a rental unit downstairs to take advantage while money is so cheap. We're a small town with a college so vacancy rates are low and at that rate you could easily pay over half your mortgage with your apartment and have it locked in for 10 years. When it all comes tumbling down I'll rent out the top and buy some former rig pigs dream home and ride the next inflation to riches.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The Butcher posted:

It's not the worst idea provided you could and would aggressively build savings during that period. Still requires some bets on timing though.

We'd end up paying less than what we do to rent now (obviously before putting aside for maintenence and poo poo) and we are DINKS living in a basement apartment for the past 5 years so I think the frugality is there to keep building. The student thing really offsets alot of fears I have about a market collapse letting people buy instead of rent (and anyone with a pulse and 45k family income can find a house here in their range if they wanted to own)

yippee cahier posted:

Why lock in a fixed rate? You really think rates are going to stop dropping, climb to back up where they are now, cover the gap between variable and fixed, then power on above 3.49% with enough time left in your mortgage term to soak you?

I think rates will be higher than the 10 year fixed after a 5 year term yes. Whether or not they will go up enough to offset the extra interest paid in the first 5 years is probably a no, but I'm a sucker for stability I guess.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle31083798/

maybe they can join do it ironically in the economic growth miracle that is victoria

It'll be as if the Beverly hillbillies were drawing ei

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm stupid. Are these ratios for take home or gross.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I got a 15 dollar gift card to the local coffee shop

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Illiterate idiots make 150 grand in the oil patch who the hell bemoans teachers and nurses making a comfortable living with the amount of education required and responsibility they hold both directly and to society?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I hit up the cottage to escape the hustle and bustle of life in a big city of 16 thousand. It is quite nice not sure what you folks are on about...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You can still get the loan to bring you to 19.9 percent and use your cash to lump sum in what you had saved over the first five years of your mortgage.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Kreez posted:

Does the insurance premium go away as soon as the mortgage value ticks below 80% of the purchase price?

Otherwise the premium would surely outweigh the $1000 you'd save each year on interest?

Your chmc premiums are calculated with the mortgage interest at the beginning of the loan so you would still pay.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

Yes, but dividends aren't taxed at a zero rate, so it just so happens that the total amount of tax paid is eerily similar. Almost like it was designed to work that way...

It would be if schemes like paying dividends to your whole family were tightly regulated. As it stands I probably pay more in taxes than most "entrepreneur" doctors or what have you.

A particularly grating example to me is the ability to claim a business lease off your personal income for heavy machinery. I have co workers that lease excavators and skidsteers with a lease structure designed to end with a 1 dollar buyout and claiming the expense of the lease against their unrelated income. Excellent use of government funds to subsidize almost half the expense of this poo poo over 4 years.

Small business regulation stinks and needs to be tigtened immensely

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Rime posted:

These are much more reasonable articles than the usual attempts to paint liveaboards and other alternative housing as mental illness of some sort.

Living in a van

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Millennials just need to curb their spending.. you can easily afford a down payment if you just spend ten years renting a room in a shared house with four other people after graduation, putting off starting a family or doing anything exciting or interesting for your youthful years, saving every penny for that sweet sweet down payment.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

This. I'm sure old people had avocados and toast, but we didn't know about it because they weren't so consumed by their own narcissism that they thought their every food choice was something the rest of the world needs to know about.

Also, I've become convinced that modern condos are designed for people who never cook for themselves. It's apparently basically assumed that you'll just eat out all the loving time, and the kitchen layout and storage reflects that. (Also: gently caress my condo)

This is rich from the person who live blogs their trips to Spain to canpol...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

etalian posted:

I've always found buying condos to be a strange concept.

Let's combine the misery of apartment life with the insanity of HOAs.

There can be poorly run condos, and poorly run rental properties, or they can be run by people that have some clue what they're doing. The fact that some condos and some rentals are poorly run shouldn't really be a deciding factor. If you're renting, you should see what others are saying about the management company, and if you're buying, you should probably fork over the money for a background check on the condo (to make sure the finances are in order, and to see what, if anything, residents have been complaining about).

Every annoyance I have with my condo board and management company would probably be even worse if I were in a rental-only building, and I'd have less control over fixing the things I don't like. The only special assessment we had was fairly minor (I think my portion was $1700 or something) and it was to put in a new pump system to keep the basement from flooding. It sucked at the time, but then the following year the huge flood happened in Calgary, and we had 0 water infiltration despite being less than a block from the river, so it was completely worth it.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

If a rental only building is badly run, you can leave at the end of your lease. If you sell a condo you just bought, you'll have to eat a loss if you want out. Depending on how lovely things are going and what sort of special assessments get levied, it might be a huge loss.

Owning where you live has a number of advantages beyond an ephemeral sense of pride. To list a few:

1) You cannot be kicked out on your landlord's whim.
2) You can redecorate and renovate as you please.
3) You don't have to consider the possibility of a rent increase occurring every year.
4) You can do what you want in your own dwelling, including "owning pets" and "smoking."
5) You have greater privacy rights.

I don't give a gently caress about some random sense of "pride," I like the freedom and convenience that ownership offers me. I know I've paid a premium for it, but not extremely so, and I'll probably get all of my money back when I sell, even if I don't make money on it.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

My understanding is that many condo buildings effectively forbid smoking because it needs to be undetectable, and also that you can be quite restricted in terms of permitted renovations. You also have to worry about increasing condo fees and special assessments. Unless you own it outright, you're exposed to interest rate fluctuation. Property taxes, maintenance, etc.

Owning a home doesn't necessarily give you complete autonomy or constant finances.

Honestly, the rental market in Calgary right now is so hosed that, even if a housing bubble exists, it may well be easier to ride that out than the current rent bubble. As long as you take into the account that the value of your property isn't guaranteed to increase, and you will have to pay for maintenance on it, I think there's a reasonable argument to be made for buying vs. renting in the current market in this city. Outside of a few specific areas, the market isn't massively overheated.

Could you lose some money, depending on what happens? Yes. That's the inherent risk in home ownership. Given rents in Calgary right now, though, I'd probably take a loss of property value rather than throwing money into the incinerator as renting would represent at this point. If the property market is inflated here, it's absolutely nothing compared to how inflated the rental market is at this moment. Price-to-rent ratio is still very low compared to other cities, especially so since the flood.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

Good fences Draconian strata rules with punishingly high financial penalties for infractions make good neighbours.

You know, considering this thread always goes on about how owning is such bullshit, the more I hear about renting the more I think I'd gladly pay a hefty premium to avoid it. I'm lucky that, when I was renting, my landlord fixed everything within 24 hours (corporate landlords are the best!) but if that weren't an option... gently caress that, pay the money and buy if at all possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

When there's under 1% vacancy it's going to be a nightmare because you don't have the luxury of choice. It's pay $2000 a month for that lovely 1br owned by one of the big 3-4 rental companies, or pay $1800 from a shady slumlord.

Aggressive enforcement and good renter protections/rights without loopholes (FIX THE loving 1 YEAR TERMINATING LEASE NDP/GREENS!!!) so that you don't have to do homework or shop around for someone who isn't a slumlord because slumlords are now illegal

I'll take an amateur landlord over the average rental company, which has already figured out the legal and least-risky illegal ways to gently caress me and has it down to a science