Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

ocrumsprug posted:

Check your lower mainland privilege. There are great deals to be had in the Whistler hotel room market and "Oh God, someone please buy my house!" Kelowna.

Fun fact: The foreclosure rate in Kelowna is about 1/day.

Wow...it even has its own Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/KelownaForeclosures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

My cousin and her fiancé bought a yet to be completed town house on the hill above Burnaby a few years ago. It'll be done mid next year. She's saying it's now valued a whole $25,000 over the purchase price. And they are staying in it for at least five years. I believe purchase price was north of $500k.

Please tell me this isn't as bad as I think it might be. I'm pretty sure they can afford it, surprisingly.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

I don't think a single property has appreciated in value since 2007. That is, if you bought property in 2007 and sold today, you would have broken even.

What do your cousin and fiancee do for a living?

They both work at Bank of Canada or whatever bank has the hugest building in downtown Vancouver doing non-bank-teller things.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

OhYeah posted:

The last five years of observing the global economy has taught us that anyone who is not a teller is actively destroying the economy.

Well one of them just does training videos and stuff...training people how to destroy the economy!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

On the plus side, you will get to remind your parents of this mistake every day after they move in with you!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I always thought people in real-estate might follow other markets besides their own stomping grounds, but I've spoken with two so far who had no idea about the exorbitant prices property is going for in Canada right now. They weren't very inclined to agree that it was evidence of a bubble, either. Lots of rhetoric similar to what people up north are spouting, but I guess if you have no background knowledge of why it might have gotten to that point, it's pretty easy to get on board with "really nice scenery", etc.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

So we're talking a soft landing at an airport whose runway ends at a cliff, I suppose?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Jesus that part of Burnaby used to be no man's land when I was growing up in the early 90s. A great place to get beat up by east indian gangs of shitheads.

East Indian isn't a thing unless you're an explorer, dude. But I can sure tell you don't like them!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Rime posted:

I wish the French had won the east and the Spanish the west. The country would be so much less lovely culturally. :(

I wish the native Americans had won, honestly.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

My Canadian relatives are indeed naive and smug. Sometimes I would like to punch them but like autistic children I just cannot.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I wish all gwai lo markets would be replaced with T&Ts. Truly superior and open on Christmas so I can avoid gross westerner food.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Are BC liberals the same as American liberals in most cases?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

are you loving stupid

Sorry namaste I don't live in Canada. But my citizenship certificate is coming in the mail soon. Maybe we can hang out?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I can't exactly trade my podunk Wisconsin house for a poo poo shack in Vancouver unless the bubble pops soon.

But I do have an aunt and uncle and grandma up there...

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Lobok posted:

Pretty sure this is every stove in my apartment building. There's a filter in the fan above but otherwise the steam isn't going anywhere but the kitchen There are no pipes in the cupboards above. An open balcony door is the actual vent.

This is common on range hoods. They can either vent outside or have a filter installed which must be changed every now and then. Look under the hood and see if there is a mesh grate you can pull off to access the filter.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Canada comes up with the worst names for gentrified neighborhoods.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

money launderers posted:

hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of $20-dollar bills stuffed in hockey bags

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Indians like having a separate "spice" kitchen. Saw a few of those while installing alarms in Surrey. Not coincidentally the entire neighbourhood smells like curry at noon.

drat dude...