Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
edit: wrong thread...

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Ahem, so - when the bubble crashes, what happens? Housing starts and occupancy are roughly the same short of an oversupply of condos in the downtown core, so builders will make houses still. (I am actually more familiar with BILD, having worked with their chair for a while, and I don't see any reason to doubt they'll still keep building out the GTHA in the event of a condo crash.) There will be a short term market shock from the condo bubble bursting, and it might drag down prices a bit. However, we're not really afraid of any kind of runaway bullshit like the Americans are we? The economy won't take as much of a hit, people will still make mortgage payments, CHMC will remain solvent, they're not overleveraged with crazy mortgage derivatives..

Right?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Anyway you guys sure are angry about other people buying things they like because it raises prices and reduces supply for yourself.
You really hit the nail on the head with this one, there are no other reasons to be worried about a bubble in Canada.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Best place west of the Rockies?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

you're competing with a lot of white trash.
loving ugh. Why post this?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

It's one of the scariest words in Canada now.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Read back in the thread for everything people told BaronJutter to do. He eventually convinced her.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

On a Long Enough Timeline, All Profit Drops to Zero

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/10/10/throne-speech-2011-annotated/

Amazing how little got done.

edit: hmm, wrong thread

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 12, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

The state of the bubble is a bit of a mystery to me right now. Are there any blogs taking full stock of the whole picture? I can only find stuff on Vancouver and Toronto.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Neoliberals are all about privatisation and deregulation, which is exactly why you would see it in a housing thread. How is that hard to understand?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I personally cannot imagine remaining illiquid for 30 years, so I have a hard time weighing in.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Bedroom communities are all the same, just stay away from garbage dumps, sewage reprocessing and college residences and you can just ignore everyone forever.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

So what's the systemic risk we've built into the system? I can't imagine a rise of even one or two points on the interest rate not bringing payments on certain mortgages down, but what is the real problem now? The government is intent on keeping rates low.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Dreylad posted:

I was talking about this with someone today, and it's largely because people are too lazy to figure out how much they're actually being taxed, and partly because it's the mentality that taxes are something you always pay next year, with next year's paycheque (ignoring deductions). It's short sighted, but it's psychological: it's a lot easier to talk about your $60k/year job than the $30k you take home. It also tends to justify spending beyond your means.
I've always had my expenses set out in a spreadsheet that takes post-tax paycheques and then figures in a conservative tax return (I'm still working through tuition discounts).

Knowing how much I will physically have in my bank account is reassuring.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Northern pay grades and taxation are ridiculous and could easily contribute to a McMurray-like inflation of prices. I don't know if it's on the same level as a Toronto-style pay-for-it-with-debt bubble.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

So what's the best thing to do as a renter before, during, and after a bubble bursting?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

In Ontario, you cannot use the security deposit for anything other than last month's rent. The landlord also cannot bill you for no-fault repairs - he can only apply for an above guideline rent increase.

At fault repairs are a completely unknown variable, obviously.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Lexicon posted:

People still use 'bourgeois'?

:confused:
Were you going for a post-username combo there?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

edit: whups!

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 9, 2014

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I don't get it, is he just a moron? Or is there something funnier there?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

The fact that NYC has three times as many high rises and is still building almost as many as Toronto is pretty crazy.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Whiteycar posted:

I was waiting for a taxi in front of a hotel in Toronto. 2 cabs pull up at the same time both into the unloading section. One customer gets out says thanks, the other is taking a bit, I could see some wild hand gestures going on. The customer gets out and says something to the effect of "Call the loving cops then Im trying pay you!" He wouldn't take credit cards only cash. The other driver was from the same company and started chewing the non-credit driver out. I see my co-workers showing up so I stop paying attention for about 2 minutes. Turn my head back and there into a full of fist fight.

The valet dude was so pissed off he made the driver of our taxi (same company again) give us a free ride.

3 months later the auditors question us on why we submitted a taxi receipt with just the airport fee (or something like it)

The only reason a driver wants cash only is because he wants it off the books.
That's what you get for taking an unlicensed cab then.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Lexicon posted:

No one knows. A rule of thumb: buy when everyone tells you what a terrible mistake it is to own property.
Well, this thread has convinced me. I'm buying a house right now!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

edit: gently caress, wrong thread again!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Pro-tip: live in a building that is mostly retirees, they are the most fun to be neighbours with. Until they die next door and have no visitors. Then it's sad, and smells.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I'm not sure I've picked up on what the housing bubble popping would mean for future renters. Should I expect rent to go down and posh apartments to open up? Will it do nothing while people try to recoup their losses?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Somebody I know just bought a condo in downtown Toronto - University and Dundas - and is waiting on the keys to move in. Should I tell him to run?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Probably a refusal to insure new five percent down mortgages popping up as bond yields lower.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Twiin posted:

My partner has had to move twice in the last year because her landlord took over the apartment. I'm lucky, I've only had to move once in the last two years for that reason.
In the GTA, landlord personal use evictions are basically nil. Stop living in basements.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Twiin posted:

I guess we should stop living in third floor apartments and two-story townhomes also.
Yeah. =\

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Being subject to a registry that denies you HOUSING, likely without a trial or any kind of hearing, is so hilariously likely to be abused by scummy and honest landlords, and swinging the power balance so wildly out to one side that it MUST be a Conservative policy plank somewhere.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

was willing to spend when the economy was on the gutter to support construction and other infrastructure jobs.
Willing to be dragged kicking and screaming into it by the threat of losing power to a coalition.

edit: vvv you shouldn't make jokes like that.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 11, 2014

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

jet sanchEz posted:

Yeah, she wanted the house and, of course, the realtor came back to her with the 1.232M offer to beat but she said that paying $132K over asking is stupid.
Sounds like a smart woman.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

How the hell do they get rid of the Aura after 20-30 years?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

It's almost 300 meters tall.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

A waiter is a perfectly respectable job.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Oh. That is pretty apt.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

You've become slightly deranged over the course of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Jesus gently caress could you imagine? Has that happened in any other country before?
Jubilee.