Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you want cheep rent on the West Coast I think Tijuana is the closest place to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo that is so goddamn much money. What does your friend do for a living? Does he play for the loving Blue Jays or something?

Seeing that the Major League minimum is $480,000 and most lenders will approve 3 times annual income for a mortgage they don't have to make nearly that much.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At least what I was getting at is although they are rich it's not an outrageous amount of money for educated DINKs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Well if housing prices are going up in real dollars then definitionally it's not inflation.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr. Wynand posted:

In realted news, hey look, a literal lynch mob:

How about that...

It's hard being rich.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr. Wynand posted:

It's not a nice city. It's highway hell. Not as bad as L.A. but not a lot better either.

I haven't spent too much time in Vancouver but doesn't it only have a bare skeleton of a public transit system?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

Vancouver is like, the only city in north america with an LRT linking the airport to the downtown core.

Most cities have heavy rail to the airports. Also San Jose has that.

Edit: Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, Phoenix. Maybe Dallas.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 31, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
For reference, would a maybe-not-worst-case-but-real-bad scenario of a housing crash like Japan had be considered a "soft landing"?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I dunno - isn't Japan usually the polar opposite of us on the price-to-rent ratio charts these days? That seems like the outcome of a pretty extreme crash.

Right, but I thought Japan didn't bottom out sharply. I thought it was just a sluggish drop-off from the peak followed by a 10 year economic quagmire.

Edit: Is the term "soft landing" used for the mechanism of the crash, I.E. sharp versus gradual or for the result of the crash I.E. no decrease in quality of life after the crash?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

http://www.shaughnessyhouses.com/homes-sale/houses-3m-5m/l/details-34303938

:shrug:

The Seattle house is a little nicer, but not by that much, and I have a feeling a lot of that is the photographer/photoshopper being more skilled.

The absurdity is that the teardown a few posts back is worth as much as that house, and I'd be curious to see if it sells. I can see someone with tons of money buying a Vancouver property for $1.5m and building a $1 - 1.5m house on it (in fact I did see this a lot in my old neighbourhood), but I find it difficult to believe that anyone would pay $3.5m for a vacant plot, let alone almost $5m.

I don't know when the whole every shot in HDR became a thing but it's awful and I see it a ton on Zillow.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arabidopsis posted:

So... remind me again who is forcing him at gunpoint to rent at a loss?

The free market.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's a 26K condo?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Jerry Brown is the only "*official title* Moonbeam" and he currently holds office.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JawKnee posted:

I would not want to live there, it looks like a nightmare to navigate, but maybe the inside is actually simple and straightforward?

How often do you "navigate" your apartment building besides walking to your unit?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Things like the light rail plan fell apart since the GOP actively sabotaged it such as diverting funds originally intended for mass transit into building more highways around the city.

Which returns to the fact that Austin isn't an oasis in Texas, it's just another lovely regular part of Texas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That's just purely a seasonal trend.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

If anyone knew the answer to this question they'd be richer than god.

Literally George Soros rich.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rime posted:

All I'm getting out of this is that there is $100B+ in imaginary equity floating around balance books, since "the market" cannot absorb all that property at its currently inflated prices once these elderly or their estates try to liquidate.

The moral is if your kill your parents now you'll be rich. Just don't let your parents die after everyone else's.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bet they're worried about 3 bedroom apartments all becoming whorehouses that spread their blight against neighboring property values.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

peter banana posted:

Welp, I heard the craziest condo purchase plan from a coworker yesterday. He bought a condo in Thornhill, ON based off of plans and spec (he brought it up because he drove past the site on the weekend and they had broken ground!) which will be move in ready in January 2016. Instead of coming to the developer with a down payment he said, "I paid $5000 down, and I'll pay $1200 a month until move-in towards the down payment! What a great purchase plan!"

But don't worry guys, the housing bubble in Canada is "different this time."

I wonder if they delay opening the condo if he just keeps on paying $1200 a month forever?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

YES. And as someone who hates Canada, I can say that I think SFU and ubc are better universities than UCSD.

Given that pretty much all ranking should be taken with a bigassed grain of salt you realize that UBC and UCSD are both about 30 on the world university rankings and SFU is like 300.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

In Minnesota (I live in St. Paul), the Local Government Aid program has a formula for distribution that includes: % of housing stock built pre-1940, 10-year population decline, # of vehicle accidents annually, and designation of "central city."

We also have a program called Fiscal Disparities, which is designed to disincentivize uneven suburban and exurban industrial development, or at least to compensate cities that are damaged by tax competition with suburbs and exurbs. Whether or not that program is any good is up for debate routinely.

edit: I was involved in the discussions in 2011-2012 to reform the LGA program, and the explicit purpose for those variables in the formula is to compensate the cities for suburban consumption of resources. There was talk of replacing the vehicle accidents variable with a Net Daily Population Increase/Decrease variable, but it didn't get very far. Formula changes might be on the table next session.

It probably also don't hurt that the Twin Cities were hit just about the lightest in the country from the bubble and have one of the strongest economies afterward.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I have two friends in London who have bought in the last month. One friend is on the verge of buying. I have one friend in Melbourne who's on the verge of buying.

In my circle of friends, I am the lone loser who rents.

Jeez, what's keeping you from growing up? Don't you want to be an adult. Just trying to relive your college days forever?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Maybe they realize that the end of capitalism is nigh and they want to get their fun in before they meet their ignoble end in a mass grave.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

Do not go wild cracking ribs, popping lungs or make heart arrhythmia even worse, thanks.

Well more to the point you should perform CPR on someone unless they basically dead already when all that doesn't matter anyway.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HookShot posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is going to beat the time in the Australia thread when alternative living came up and one guy admitted he shits in a hole in the ground to be more environmental.

That was Tuyop and he's Canadian.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

There's also no such thing as a eternal bubble, sooner or later you get a big crash.

I mean there's genuine economic growth but that's a no-true-scottsman with "bubble".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

You know how bob rennie et al keep telling us that we need to have vision and start living in micro condos?

WELL I think they lack vision.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/07/36876..._content=202607

In beijing, renters are literally considered scum.

C.H.U.D.S. are real.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

peter banana posted:

you heard it here, forums poster Baudin doesn't believe in plant hardiness zones

Just import food from places that aren't abject garbage to grow anything.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

THC posted:

Some of the brightest, most promising people I know ended up in social media marketing. Such a waste :negative:

Almost a Howl reference but good start.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can someone explain what this chart means?

It means the graph with 3% rms noise is at -1%.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

cowofwar posted:

What exactly is the difference between owning and renting a condo? You're still paying $1,000 a month to someone else.

Schlubs rent.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is one of those things that infuriates me about BC, but Canada in general as well. Endless moaning about needing to densify, and running out of space. WHAT?! 95% of the loving country is uninhabited, use some of it for christ sakes. Sure, we need to preserve our forest and wild lands, but gently caress, you could literally double the amount of livable space in the country and it wouldn't make a loving dent in anything.

We need some bored trillionare with a vision to just go "Okay, I'm just building a completely new city. From the ground up. Guess what, now there's room for 10 million people to have home where they aren't stacked like cordwood."

I think the people who want densification isn't because room is going to run out it's because they don't want the garbage sprawl you guys already have almost everywhere to be everywhere.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
For one California is running a large budget surplus.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imagine driving a DB9 in the snow.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PT6A posted:

An Aston Martin is a dignified car for a gentleman of means. A supercar, such as a Lamborghini or Ferrari, assuming you don't use it for racing, is a lurid penis compensation tool.

I cannot tell which parts of this are ironic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MrChips posted:

Bbbbbut I can't make money slinging lovely pizza unless the government repeals this bullshit prohibition on slavery :qq:

-A concerned CFIB member

That's what they get for not importing true pizza making know-how from Boston.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Vancouver is funny since it's sky housing prices but there are no sky high tech compensation packages to make up for it.

At least San Fransisco has insane wealth inequality to back up the insane prices.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Playstation 4 posted:

Time to take advantage of my Florida-born father.

If only your father was the only human in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

apatheticman posted:

You realize everyone now has ammunition for your own personal Rick Roll.

Never show weakness!

Now I want to hear a Black Flag Never Gonna Give You Up cover.