Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Wynand posted:

I'd probably move to Amsterdam though. Prices look... less insane and dutch seems like a weird fusion of german and english, I hear it's not too bad to pick up. The missus would miss her family though.

I just came from there and it'd be a cool place to move to. It's so heavily English already that you would have plenty of time to learn Dutch instead of being thrown to the wolves and it's a great city. Small city though, and it's wet, though a wet city wouldn't matter as much if you're coming from Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cultural Imperial posted:

Errybody want a new car
http://blogs.wsj.com/canadarealtime/2013/11/22/data-suggest-canadian-consumers-not-scaling-back/

Enjoy carrying that 40k of non mortgage debt, average Canadian.

These figures really highlight the danger of trying to keep up with the Joneses. The Joneses can't even keep up with themselves. I may not have a house, I may not have a car, but being debt-free feels pretty drat good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baronjutter posted:

Most trump projects have absolutely nothing to do with the "man" anyways. They just buy the "Trump" naming rights to slap on their project.

Yes, people are actually paying money for nothing more than the trump name, to put on their luxury development. I could see with his ego if he was paying for the building he'd demand his name on it in GOLD but the dude doesn't actually have money to build anything and he makes most all his money on naming rights these days.

Case in point: You can buy Trump mattresses. I know because I have one. Am I a millionaire? No, the Trump mattress is an average consumer level product that uses his brand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How is there not video of a bunch of the Vancouver business and political elite all miming sperm just like Homer Simpson?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The sad thing will be if they're all eventually correct in a roundabout way if things go south harshly enough that homeowners need bailouts which of course means that anyone who doesn't own will be helping to bail out those who do. I'm not exactly laughing here in my rental apartment thinking about a possible crash.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In talking with other people about housing prices, would it be at all accurate to use the analogy of an auction house where everyone is given double the amount of money they walked in with? The same number of items would be on sale (representing more or less static supply of housing) but since everyone has more money to play with everyone's going to end up paying more even though the items themselves haven't changed. I come across people who don't seem to get that housing prices didn't use to rise like this and that Toronto (or wherever you may be) hasn't become so much more desirable that it would justify the crazy listing prices.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Franks Happy Place posted:

Yes, this is the good analogy to use.

The other good analogy is to counter the 'argument' of "Well, people have been saying it's a bubble for years!" You then point out that if you had a morbidly obese friend whose medical data showed horrible cholesterol, blood pressure, etc, and everyone expected him to have a massive coronary any day now, that if this guy somehow kept chugging along eating ten cheeseburgers a day, nobody would somehow assume that he would live to be 90... the piper will get paid sooner or later.

And we all choose to listen to the experts who say nothing's wrong... even though they have a vested interest in selling him more cheeseburgers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kraftwerk posted:

Maybe you guys can help me. Im in my mid 20s and I commute into Toronto every day via the 401. I want to shorten my commute or decrease the hassle. How much should I be paying in rent for Toronto at 45k per year? What area should I be living in? Im seeing all these really old rickety apartments going for 1300+. Its ridiculous.

Depends where you work, how long your commute is. If your commute is already an hour there are plenty of places to live within the city that won't shorten that commute time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can go weeks without ever getting into a car or stepping on public transit, and yet I want for nothing. One of many reasons why I love living downtown.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They could also just be terribly run businesses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Antifreeze Head posted:

I only buy silver because if it's a werewolf apocalypse instead of zombies, I'm loving set.

This is why my bomb shelter is stocked entirely with Coors Light.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alberta Cross posted:

The patriotic Canadian in me would be loathe to live somewhere called Liberty Village, it sounds so American.

Pretty cool name it sounds like to me:

quote:

"Liberty Street", for which Liberty Village is named, was the first street both male and female convicts would walk once freed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Huge+demand+tiny+rental+units+Vancouver/9628610/story.html

In other news, we are all obliged to work 80 hour weeks for free. That's just a fact of life.

"Hey Millenials! You love backpacking around the world in hostels, right? Well now you can bring that experience back home!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baronjutter posted:

Why do you need to move every couple years if renting? According to my landlord the average tenancy period in our building is 7 years, with quite a few being here 20+.

Aren't rent increases limited to like a couple percent a year?

If there are rent controls, yes, but those aren't everywhere or for everything. In Toronto there are a few different rules, the main one being that if your building was built after 1991 price protections are far fewer, if any exist at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cheap housing a GO train ride away from Toronto.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wasting posted:

If you don't mind spending four hours a day on the train

Not that I'd want to do either but I'd rather on the train than in a car. My old boss does that commute on the train everyday and he at least gets to tool around on his laptop the whole time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe this is a stupid question but can you legally auction your house? Put up a "FOR SALE" sign on my lawn, with a date and time where you can come into my backyard and I'll sell to the highest bidder?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kafka Esq. posted:

How the hell do they get rid of the Aura after 20-30 years?

Kafka Esq. posted:

It's almost 300 meters tall.

You do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbzVfLWQNkA&t=17s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

etalian posted:

lol

thanks fidelity

And every now and then, lobby your municipal politicians to get rid of homes for mentally disabled children.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PT6A posted:

Jesus, they suggest doing nice things for people and you automatically jump to the most pathological cases of people trying to protect land values? That's a bit unreasonable, don't you think?

It's a topical reference. Call me cynical for making the link but it's not like I'm imagining this stuff.

Edit: For something more than a back-and-forth about posting, here's some interesting content I read a few days ago:

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/tokyo-housing-high-rise-cost-new-york-housing

quote:

Last month, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government released new housing data, offering an eye into the most active construction market in the developed world.

quote:

In 2012, builders in Tokyo’s 23 innermost wards began construction on nearly 110,000 new houses and apartments. Put into context, the numbers are astounding. England has 53 million people spread over 50,000 square miles of territory — six times the population of Tokyo’s wards and orders of magnitude more land — but on housing, England barely kept up with the much smaller area. The entire country saw just 115,000 new housing starts in 2012.

quote:

Tokyo is the closest thing this planet has to a city that has completely surrendered itself to market forces. And its construction numbers show it. ...And there’s no economic problem in Japan that the government doesn’t think deregulation can’t ameliorate. Building regulations are constantly being loosened to spur economic growth.

It has likely failed in that respect, as Japan has experienced a prolonged economic malaise ever since the land bubble popped in 1991.

quote:

However, even though construction in the capital has not been the economic panacea that politicians hoped... The laws of supply and demand have worked, and prices are relatively low — Japan’s two megacities (the Tokyo and Osaka regions) are more affordable than any in the English-speaking world (including Hong Kong and Singapore), with rents in Tokyo actually falling slightly over the past decade.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 20, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They can just dismiss it as talking about the home's value, not the owners' profits.

Edit: Though of course the second half-truth is that the increase in value is only realized upon actually selling the place.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is the picture cut off? I'm seeing a lot of asterisks but no fine print.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FrozenVent posted:

Personally I wouldn't mind having daily maid service, but I doubt that's included.

Otherwise, what does an hotel get you, access to a gym and pool and... lovely bar and restaurant I guess?

Room service and concierge.

And by concierge I don't mean the "concierge" of most condo buildings, which is just a dude watching the elevator cameras, but an actual hotel concierge who has both knowledge and influence when it comes to attractions and restaurants.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

peter banana posted:

that's funny because I see concierges as sort of a leftover from another era. They may have been useful before the Internet, but now they're just bought off by local restaurants. If I want to find a good sushi place in Toronto, I'd check BlogTo or "CityEquivelent" before I went out.

If you're a millionaire you're probably not the type to pull out your phone to look through blogTO. And that's just part of what a concierge does for a hotel guest. Plus if you actually live there, between the concierges and property managers they do all kinds of bend-over-backwards favours for you. Try getting a rental apartment super to organize a birthday party for your poodle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toronto won't enact any kind of tax or cooling-off measure on home sales anytime soon. During the last and current administrations Toronto's long-term budgets were shifted more and more to rely on land transfer tax revenues. If those revenues ever go down, at all, there will be massive budget craters to fill.

Ohhhh, that's Norman Bethune? Yeah I've seen him on the news quite a bit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

China built a replica of the whole town of Halstatt, Austria. Cargo cult Old World European charm.

The trailer doesn't go into it much, but this is the documentary I saw about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWKJ-Q2buE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Twerk from Home posted:

Economists don't give a poo poo about political realities or what is feasible:

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/07/19/157047211/six-policies-economists-love-and-politicians-hate

Even left-wing economists will say that there should be 0% corporate tax rate and people shouldn't be able to deduct mortgage interest, but that would cause riots in the streets.

They say that taxes discourage things so why discourage income?

Then farther down they say to tax consumption. So we want to discourage people from buying goods or services and that will be better for the economy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Femtosecond posted:

A typical condo building is already 60%+ rental. People buy them as investments so that they can rent them out. Removing rent control would potentially make these investments more lucrative, which would likely result in increased demand for condos and in developers being extra incentivized to create condos vs rental.

The big difference between condos and rental is that with condos you can do presales and get money and prove demand before construction even starts. A policy to encourage rental would have to be something that would effectively erase this condo advantage. I don't know what this would be. Easier lending for rental projects maybe.

Condos also have the cap gains advantage and depending on your city, a municipal property tax advantage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Every condo has a municipal property tax advantage, it's called deferral until sold.

I meant the whole building itself pays less in municipal property taxes each year. If you take two structures that are exactly the same and one is high-rise rental and one is high-rise condo the latter pays less each year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Don't discount the power of white privilege being projected nationally.

Obama had to contend with racism and we all knew Hillary would contend with sexism instead. Funny in a way that she also having to contend with racism.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

namaste faggots posted:

jesus gently caress you guys just get a robo-advisor

I tried but anytime I asked him what to invest in he said that I should definitely short human life and then he would laugh that metallic vocoder laugh of his.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish we still built proper row houses anymore. Just take an existing single family home block, divide all the lots in 2 or 3, and build a street wall of individually owned no loving strata involved row houses.

You can take your increased density and shove it up your rear end you commie libtard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Furnaceface posted:

Class Mobility In Canada

This brings an interesting social problem Canadians haven’t dealt with before, class mobility. First time buyers over the past 30 years have been able to trade up fairly fast. The appreciation of home values has been adding to the average Canadian’s net-worth. If the bottom has fewer people to trade their homes too, prices won’t appreciate as quickly – if at all. If the average Canadian has been using their home to add to their net-worth, that’s going to come to an end.

Has this ever been how class mobility worked? Trading up into more expensive houses? Seems like getting better jobs gives you upward class mobility.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MickeyFinn posted:

This is the usual dumb poo poo where someone looks at the correlation between housing and positive life outcomes and thinks that housing begets the latter rather than comes from it.

I suppose it could work if you profited enough from your previous home that you can use those profits to pay a large enough chunk of the principal on your next home to drive down your mortgage payments and effectively be making (keeping) significantly more income. But I'm assuming people don't do that and instead keep their payments in the same range and use the profits to get as expensive a home as they can.

Or she's saying class mobility but really means moving into better neighbourhoods.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 17, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maneck posted:

They also use less water than sink washing. It is also possible to purchase dishwashers which connect to a sink.

They take up valuable counter space, but yeah. My friend had one in his last apartment because he had counter space to spare.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Come to Romania for the RE-Mania!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lexicon posted:

Why should anyone give a gently caress about whether or not an office/complex is used for "digital" businesses or not? It's either a viable business or it isn't (and knowing Vancouver, more likely the latter)... what possible advantage could be argued to result from having a bullshit, artificial, trendy restriction?

Possibly they're anticipating push-back from the area's community when midrise office buildings or towers are proposed and city staff and politicians can say "no guys these buildings won't be full of just regular ol' office jobs, they'll be our super special competitive advantage coders who make Vancouver great!"

That's somewhat of a non-cynical answer, when really it just seems like a straight-up handout to the landowners to be able to maximize development profits.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My office building is a fraction of the size and holds 500-600.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mozi posted:

33 percent of those aged 55 to 64 having under $1000 in retirement savings is a bit incredible.

So what are the odds we'll be bailing out a poo poo-ton of seniors from poverty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brannock posted:

I'm kind of glad my parents are young enough that there's a good chance we figure out robot caretakers before they go decrepit.

Invest in Japanese robotics, friends.

Oh, I'm fully invested. Invested too much into it, really. Emotionally, I mean.