Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Kenning posted:

Get a bit of the nicest, most floral honey you can find. Get a perfect, crusty, brilliantly caramelized baguette. Bread, Roquefort, light honey drizzle. It's madness.

That sounds really good, I'll have to try that for the next slice. Payday is in a day, so that means I'm going to stock up on everything good.

I love spicy cheese and I think I need to try some ghost pepper cheese http://www.jimscheese.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=40 That mango cheese looks interesting... I know it's not classy aged stuff, but man it all looks tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Face
Sep 6, 2006
who stole my steaks?
I really like my blue cheese, and picked up one wrapped in cheese wax at the Royal Melbourne Show this year. My question which Google can't answer for me is if being wrapped in wax makes the mold do this.

Its brown-gray as opposed to blue-y, and... well you can see the brown bits...

The taste isn't omgbluecheese, but it's not bad, and the smell is pungent but not awful. The use by date is December and we got it 2 weeks ago.

Will I die thread, y/n? Do I only eat the grey bits and toss the rest? Is it not aged fully yet and I'm being a big baby? I wants the cheese :(

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I stopped by one place to get some new varieties earlier.

Today I got Bayley Hazen, a blue, Hooligan, washed rind cow, and Cardo, a raw semisoft goat. The latter was a spur-of-the-moment recommendation out of a fresh wheel, so I'm reasonably excited to share these with other folks soon. I'll probably take pictures of the spread I mash together and report on how it all was.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I feel so sorry for you American fellas. Europe is the place to be for cheese. Well, I'm UK so to what extent that can really be considered Europe might be up for debate but I'll be damned if I can't get (relatively) cheap imported Brie de Meaux and Normandy Camembert from my local cheesemongers. Brie de Meaux in particular is just the best - it's about a hundred times nicer than standard bland supermarket Brie (which I honestly just think tastes like custard - President, I'm looking at you) and has a lovely, vaguely mushroomy taste. Works amazingly with bacon in a baguette. Oh, and I can get Isle of Mull Cheddar and amazing proper Colston Bassett Stilton too.

Is it true that 'cheese' to most Americans just means sliced American Cheese? They'll actually melt that on bread and call it food? Really? If so I feel legitimate pity.

Juice Box Hero posted:

Is it bad that of all the cheddars I've tried, the loving cracker barrel brand in the kraft singles area is the one I like the most?

I was just sick in my mouth.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 11, 2013

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

ThomasPaine posted:

Is it true that 'cheese' to most Americans just means sliced American Cheese?

No.

quote:

They'll actually melt that on bread and call it food? Really?

Yes, it's called a grilled cheese and it's drat tasty with a bowl of tomato soup.

quote:

If so I feel legitimate pity.

gently caress you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

camoseven posted:

gently caress you.

Jesus. I made one of those grilled cheese things ages ago and nearly puked, you're welcome to them.

(Also, I was referring to 'Americans' as in the 'general American public', not people who are posting on an internet forum about cheese and obviously have slightly better taste.)

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

ThomasPaine posted:

Jesus. I made one of those grilled cheese things ages ago and nearly puked, you're welcome to them.

(Also, I was referring to 'Americans' as in the 'general American public', not people who are posting on an internet forum about cheese and obviously have slightly better taste.)

Velveeta type processed cheese makes for decent macaroni and cheese if you're a pauper. That's the thing about American processed cheese, it's dirt cheap.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ThomasPaine posted:

If it induced vomiting you might want to get checked out. Also what you said is dumb.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Doh004 posted:

If it induced vomiting you might want to get checked out. Also what you said is dumb.

Obviously that was an exaggeration but I did struggle to finish it. The consistency was just all wrong. I'm not even particularly snobby - I don't think ASDA's own brand cheddar is bad as far as supermarket stuff goes. Hell, I'm not trying to prove anything and I couldn't give a flying gently caress how wrong anyone thinks I am. I'll just sit here enjoying my Isle of Mull. I just didn't expect people in a thread dedicated to cheese to be talking about the ready sliced burger variety.

WD40 posted:

I see a lot of horrible stuff being called 'Cheddar'. Bear in mind that Cheddar is a place in England, real Cheddar comes from there and doesn't at all resemble the various plastic abominations you call Cheddar cheese in the US. For real Cheddar, import anything labelled 'West Country Farmhouse Cheddar' from the UK

Fun fact: Despite lending its name to one of the most internationally well known cheeses, there's only one cheesemaker in Cheddar, and for a long time there were none.

Related fact: Stilton cheese cannot legally be called Stilton if it is made in the village of Stilton. There's a PDO on it that means it has to be produced in Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire or Derbyshire. Stilton is in Cambridgeshire. Apparently the cheese got that name because it was commonly sold there, not produced there.

The Midniter posted:

Processed American cheese is actually my favorite type to have on a simple cheeseburger. Its melting characteristics along with the familiar taste just make it perfect. This is basically the only application I use American cheese slices for. Even in a grilled cheese I prefer to use other stronger, more assertive varieties.

Also, like what Doh004 said, if you actually struggled to finish a grilled cheese, you should really get that checked out. It's not like it's loving fermented tofu or durian or something.

I'm the same - they're fine on burgers but I wouldn't have them on anything else. I'm wondering whether the sliced cheese I got from my UK supermarket is somehow different to the stuff that's common in the US? I just remember it struggling to melt properly under the grill and ending up weird and half solid while tasting of little but fat.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 11, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Processed American cheese is actually my favorite type to have on a simple cheeseburger. Its melting characteristics along with the familiar taste just make it perfect. This is basically the only application I use American cheese slices for. Even in a grilled cheese I prefer to use other stronger, more assertive varieties.

Also, like what Doh004 said, if you actually struggled to finish a grilled cheese, you should really get that checked out. It's not like it's loving fermented tofu or durian or something.

Princess Neurotica
Jul 31, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

standard bland supermarket Brie (which I honestly just think tastes like custard - President, I'm looking at you)

You're goddamn right on this count, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Question: what's the deal with bufala mozzarella in the US? I was under the impression it was only available in Italy, but have recently seen it on a few menus. Did something change, or just false advertising?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The DOP only applies to the EU and Italy exports a bunch of it. My guess is that you are seeing Buffalo mozzarella cheese, labeled as "Bufala" just like how California Champagnes are labeled "Champagne".

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Recently I've been strung out on blue cheese and gorgonzola. I like the way they taste, They've been making other flavors stand out and complement the cheese. Take cranberries for instance. The sweetness with the tartness of one of those two cheeses is heavenly. Also had this with sweet potato wedges, and it makes the fries taste sweeter. There's part of me that wonders if you can make them into something sweet, like dip them in berry syrup and make them into desserts.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
I'll probably sound like a heretic here, but I love cheddar cheese.

There are so many varieties, and it is just so reliable. I can't get enough of it.

I should probably experiment with the other types of cheese, but cheddar is good enough for me.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Post-tasting report on stuff that I haven't had before:

Scharfe Maxx - cow; described elsewhere as "swiss and nutty", "tangy, meaty flavor"; bit on the dry side but quite enjoyable.
Blue Shropshire - cow; "full-fat semi-hard"; yellow with a nice blue veining. I found it alright; perhaps not appealing enough to me personally to warrant a repurchase, but worth a try.
Cardo - Goat; semi-soft; uses thistle stamens rather than animal rennet as coagulant; "pungent and meaty with floral undertones". Pretty nice if a bit pungent.
Bayley Hazen - cow; "sweet, nutty, and grassy flavors"; "distinct licorice flavor"; not quite my favorite blue, but an interesting try nonetheless.
Hooligan - cow; "notes of grass and walnuts on top of an underlying sweetness"; the most pungent of the evening.
Robiola due Latte - cow & sheep; soft and bloomy rind; oozed a good bit; very smooth, would acquire again.

I also brought along Extra Aged Beemster, Cambozola, and Cotswold for folks to try.

The most common question was "which of these is most like cheddar?"
I directed folks towards the Cotswold. I prefer to bring more novelty-like cheeses so that I can experience more cheese along with others.
All in all, it was a splendid night for trying new things, and for the party hosts, they get to perhaps mash it all up into mac and cheese or something. Win-win!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jakcson posted:

I'll probably sound like a heretic here, but I love cheddar cheese.

There are so many varieties, and it is just so reliable. I can't get enough of it.

I should probably experiment with the other types of cheese, but cheddar is good enough for me.

There's nothing wrong with cheddar, though some of the lower end stuff is just horrific (supermarket value ranges tend to taste of rubber). In the UK at least you can get some excellent stuff from farmer's markets for pretty cheap - I've had cheddar infused with everyting from nettles to whisky to garlic to chilli and all of it worked amazingly well. Weirdly enough, it is very possible to get really tasty cheddar from supermarkets too - I'm a big fan of McLellands Seriously Strong for everyday use (and if you don't mind paying a little extra, their vintage variety is just amazing for something mass produced).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
When I lived in the UK the cheese selection was so poor. We have such a great variety of artisan cheeses in the US that it really can't compare. I personally get Chubut from a very local grass fed source where all the milk is sourced and processed on site it's just delightful and worlds better than any plastic wrapped brick you'd get from Tesco.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

vaginal culture posted:

When I lived in the UK the cheese selection was so poor. We have such a great variety of artisan cheeses in the US that it really can't compare. I personally get Chubut from a very local grass fed source where all the milk is sourced and processed on site it's just delightful and worlds better than any plastic wrapped brick you'd get from Tesco.

Really? I feel like we have a huge selection of really good UK cheese and a lot of easily accessible stuff from mainland Europe. Obviously you're not going to find them in Tesco but if you go to a proper cheesemonger there's a huge variety of high quality stuff.

Snidely Whiplash
Jun 24, 2007
Oh Bugger!

Baron Von Face posted:

I really like my blue cheese, and picked up one wrapped in cheese wax at the Royal Melbourne Show this year. My question which Google can't answer for me is if being wrapped in wax makes the mold do this.

Its brown-gray as opposed to blue-y, and... well you can see the brown bits...

The taste isn't omgbluecheese, but it's not bad, and the smell is pungent but not awful. The use by date is December and we got it 2 weeks ago.

Will I die thread, y/n? Do I only eat the grey bits and toss the rest? Is it not aged fully yet and I'm being a big baby? I wants the cheese :(

You wont die. My bosses have made me eat cheese that was foamy so that I would know what expired cheese tastes like, and I'm still here to tell the tale. Unless it tastes really bitter and acidic, you're fine. What's it gonna do, go mouldy?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Snidely Whiplash posted:

...My bosses have made me eat cheese that was foamy so that I would know what expired cheese tastes like...

First thing that came to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NUoiW-0wBc

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

If you know where to shop in the U.S. you can find yourself a fine variety of options. I found some magnificent Asiago at Fairway along with Drunken Goat and Comte. Also the sweetest ricotta I've ever had in my life. I have a recipe for ricotta ravioli with blueberry sauce if anybody wants it.

t4styc4ke
Oct 25, 2012

Flopsy posted:

If you know where to shop in the U.S. you can find yourself a fine variety of options. I found some magnificent Asiago at Fairway along with Drunken Goat and Comte. Also the sweetest ricotta I've ever had in my life. I have a recipe for ricotta ravioli with blueberry sauce if anybody wants it.

oo, if you like Drunken Goat, you will love Testun al Barolo, if you can find it. It's so delightful, I just ate it plain/with water crackers.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Hey guys, I know nothing about cheese but as an uncultured American I like Baybel. So I think to myself "this stuff's expensive, what kind of cheese is it actually?" Wikipedia told me Edam.

So I ordered a pound of Edam and this is how it arrived

This looks really...not ok, right? I've had Edam before and this stuff was extremely tough and bitter. It reminded me of cheese that had been left out overnight and was like plastic.

edit: OK look I did cut it open and

Not really horrifying.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 17, 2013

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You're supposed to peel it first.

Edit: Yeah, that looks awful. If you can get a refund, do.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 17, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

You're supposed to peel it first.

Yes thank you I did get past that part

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Based on the packaging looking like a slasher film, I'd guess that it got wayyyy too warm, for an extended period of time during shipping.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks, luckily the place I bought it from deals through Amazon so we'll see how it goes.

In the future I'll probably stick to local cheesemongers.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have been interested in trying new, nice cheeses and found there are monthly clubs. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am looking at
1. CheeseMonthClub, which is 91.90 for two months (1.5lbs of 3 cheese per month)
2. Penn Mac's Club which is 90$ + shipping for 3 months (2lbs of 4 cheese per month). History for the 3 months I would get it is
January: Free Range Cheese
Vlaskaas from Holland- Alto Badia from Italy-Rashera Leroy Pyrenees from France.

February: A Taste of France
Comte- Morbier- Istara Chistou- Chevron Goat

March: A Taste of Ireland
Dubliner- Cheddar Vintage- Cahill Porter- Erin Gold

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Try one of Murray's Month Clubs! http://www.murrayscheese.com/monthly-clubs.html

I'm biased because I work for the wholesale department there, but the month clubs are great!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

yes posted:

Try one of Murray's Month Clubs! http://www.murrayscheese.com/monthly-clubs.html

I'm biased because I work for the wholesale department there, but the month clubs are great!

I checked that out, just too expensive. 50$+ a month for 1.5lb.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

If you're interested, I can get you 10% off.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

yes posted:

If you're interested, I can get you 10% off.

I'll think about it! Its hard to justify almost double the price of the others though :(

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I make cheese!

Hopefully you still read this thread.

Anyway I made my own cheddar a while ago and I encountered a few problems. It was mostly a proof of concept venture with minimal tools. Namely an improvised cheese press and poor aging conditions. The cheddar turned out a bit acidic and retained a lot of whey. I suspect it wasn't pressed well or I heated the milk too quickly.

Do you age any of your homemade stuff? How? I have a small dorm style fridge handy and you can buy a temperature regulator from amazon to maintain a decent cheese temp. I might try that next.

Is that a homemade cheese press? If so that looks totally doable

Also have you tried to buy sheep or goats milk? I can't find a place for the life of me.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I loving love cheese!! I feel very lucky being from Switzerland I can taste all sort of yummy stuff.
I really love Gruyère, this cheese is so good and versatile. I've already been to Gruyère, the region where it come from, and it is a beautiful place.
Also I live right next to the place where they make Compté in France.

I don't know what kind of cheese you guys can get but my list goes like this:
  • Gruyère
  • Emmentaler
  • Tête de Moine
  • Vacherin Fribourgeois
  • Vacherin Mont d'Or
  • Tommes (any type but I like cumin the best)
  • Comté
  • Morbier

yes
Aug 26, 2004

I'm a big fan of the non-traditional Swiss cheeses like Scharfe Maxx and Challerhocker, which began to emerge from dairies a few decades ago after the government decided to allow other cheeses to be made besides the AOC-approved varieties. I count Challerhocker ("cellar-sitter") especially among my all time favorites; Walter Rass's farm in St. Gallen makes a firm but creamy, nutty, fruity cheese that has a sweet cream and butterscotch finish. If you ever have a chance to taste some, don't hesitate!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

yes posted:

I'm a big fan of the non-traditional Swiss cheeses like Scharfe Maxx and Challerhocker, which began to emerge from dairies a few decades ago after the government decided to allow other cheeses to be made besides the AOC-approved varieties. I count Challerhocker ("cellar-sitter") especially among my all time favorites; Walter Rass's farm in St. Gallen makes a firm but creamy, nutty, fruity cheese that has a sweet cream and butterscotch finish. If you ever have a chance to taste some, don't hesitate!

That's intriguing never heard of it. I'll be sure to give it a try soon

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

yes posted:

I found Scharfe Maxx pleasant when I had it; I'll keep an eye out for Challerhocker when I go cheese hunting in the future. Any other good varieties you'd recommend?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

So I got a Cheese club for January and February. New to cheese, so thought this would be a cool thing to try. What do you guys think of the first month?

January consists of a 1/3 lb. each of:
Mirabo Walnut: Mirabo Walnut is a classic Brie crafted in German style.
Five Territories: Five Territories from Britain's Abbey Farms is an amazing combination of five different British cheeses that are layered on top of one another to create a one of a kind cheese.
Salemville Amish Blue: Salemville Amish Blue Cheese is made from cow’s mile, this cheese has a mild, earthy flavor, well balanced and flavorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I bought Comté on the advice on this thread, and it is incredibly delicious, but leaves my fingers smelling like my toddler's diapers. :(

• Locked thread