Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

So I got a Cheese club for January and February. New to cheese, so thought this would be a cool thing to try. What do you guys think of the first month?

January consists of a 1/3 lb. each of:
Mirabo Walnut: Mirabo Walnut is a classic Brie crafted in German style.
Five Territories: Five Territories from Britain's Abbey Farms is an amazing combination of five different British cheeses that are layered on top of one another to create a one of a kind cheese.
Salemville Amish Blue: Salemville Amish Blue Cheese is made from cow’s mile, this cheese has a mild, earthy flavor, well balanced and flavorful.

Haven't tried any of these. The Amish blue might be good but to be honest Brie with walnuts in it sounds gross and I don't think I "get" the idea of stacking five different cheeses on top of each other.

Report back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Ben Davis posted:

I bought Comté on the advice on this thread, and it is incredibly delicious, but leaves my fingers smelling like my toddler's diapers. :(

That might not reflect badly on the cheese, but rather reflect well on your toddler's shits.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Diaper of the Month club, coming right up.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

yes posted:

Brie with walnuts in it sounds gross

You've never had baked brie with nuts and dried fruit? You're missing out, man.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

yes posted:

I don't think I "get" the idea of stacking five different cheeses on top of each other.

I'm guessing it's similar to the trademarked 'Five Counties' cheese which consists of Cheddar, Cheshire, Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, and Derby, which are all fairly similar-tasting cheeses when mass-produced. It's mainly for a visual flair for dinner parties thing, rather than for any reason of taste. If you manage to pick up a small-batch version of any of those cheeses, I'd bet they'll taste much better than the cheese-stack version.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Martello posted:

You've never had baked brie with nuts and dried fruit? You're missing out, man.

Sure I have, but baking in walnuts and aging the cheese with them are two totally different things. I'll bet the nuts make the cheese taste bitter.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

yes posted:

Sure I have, but baking in walnuts and aging the cheese with them are two totally different things. I'll bet the nuts make the cheese taste bitter.

I will report back, should come the 3rd Tuesday of the month. I just have never tried cheese before besides the regular cheddar/swiss/provolone/pepper jack/etc.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

yes posted:

Brie, in general, doesn't age that long. A couple of weeks, eh, should be fine as long as the walnuts were blanched.

Slop some jam on top, wrap in in phyllo, bake it and call it a day! Save me a loving step or two!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

WD40 posted:

As far as good cheese goes, I urge all of you to try Roquefort:

It's made from unpasteurised Ewe's milk and is matured in specific French caves, where it's colonised by a unique strain of Penicillium Roqueforti which naturally grows there. It has a very strong, sharp flavour with a heavy umami (glutamate) taste. The blue veins are tangy and delicious and complement the creaminess of the cheese perfectly. The outside can't really be called rind at all, is edible and has a slight salty crunch. It's my favourite cheese.

This is going back a bit, but I just bought some Roquefort today because of this post, even though I've already had Roquefort and found it a bit underwhelming compared to Stilton. Because goddamn if this doesn't make it sound like the best cheese in existence. Maybe I missed something the first time?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've been on a real Iberico and quince kick lately. It's pretty amazing. Like Spanish wines, it's unassuming. Instead of smashing you in the face with awesome, it is an awesome accompaniment to whatever else I'm doing. Whatever I'm doing in enhanced by it but it isn't obtrusive either. All things Spanish are good.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone know where to order a good Comte online? I was also looking at the following, first time getting good cheese:

http://www.miltoncreamery.com/cheese/prairie-breeze.html Prairie Breeze
http://www.roguecreamery.com/store/product/1391/Smokey-Blue-Cheese-Wheel/ Smokey Blue

Can anyone recommend a good soft, creamy (maybe sweet) cheese. Like the ones that almost melt at room temperature, I don't know what they are.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Can anyone recommend a good soft, creamy (maybe sweet) cheese. Like the ones that almost melt at room temperature, I don't know what they are.

Check out Fromager d'Affinois.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

yes posted:

Especially the version with garlic and herb. So amazing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

yes posted:

I could not tell from the description, is it sweet at all?

And is the Prairie Breeze good enough to order? It is a cheddar cheese, so I just don't want to get something that tastes like regular cheddar.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
It's not sweet, any cheese that you've had that's soft and could be described as sweet had something added to it. Fromager d'affinois is a good answer for what you're looking for, just find some honey, fruit, or some kinda preserve to mix with it.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Where do you live? I probably wouldn't buy a 9 month cheddar for that price + shipping if I hadn't tried it before. But if you don't have somewhere nearby that you can buy cheese at, even like a grocery store that cuts/packages wheels on site, then just buy a small amount of that cheddar so you're not wasting money.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ok thanks for the advice. If any of you guys could post your top 5 cheese, that would be an amazing help. I was going to do the cheese club, but its much more efficient to find out good cheese from you all.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I've been thinking of making some mozzarella this weekend. Is it difficult?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Ok thanks for the advice. If any of you guys could post your top 5 cheese, that would be an amazing help. I was going to do the cheese club, but its much more efficient to find out good cheese from you all.

Bloomy:
Harbison, Cellars at Jasper Hill
Green Hill, Sweet grass Dairy
La Tur

Natural:
Tomme Craeuse
Ossau-Iraty
Bleu Mont Bandaged Cheddar

Washed:
Vacherin Mont d'Or
Langres
Epoisses
Hooligan, Cato Corner Farm

Blue:
Chiriboga Blue
Rogue River Blue, Rogue Creamery
Fourme d'Ambert

Alpine:
Pleasant Ridge Reserve
Hoch Ybrig
Comte
Challerhocker

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, got my Rennet and citric acid in the mail today from the cheese company. I think tomorrow during the storm will be a good time to make some cheese.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, tried making Mozzarella today but I messed it up somehow. Not exactly sure what happened, but its not very firm. Its good as a cheese spread and in fact i'm munching some right now spread on a triscuit. Very creamy and tastes good.

I suspect i either overheated the curds in the microwave,I did not drain out enough whey, or I did not kneed it enough to get it firm.

Oh well, I'll keep trying.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I tried Saint Agur the other day. Pretty nice blue. The star of the night, though, was the Pradera. Excellent 3 year aged gouda.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Tried the mozzarella again today, this time I actually broke down and got a decent thermometer. Cheese came out great, the only problem is i was overworking the cheese at the end and it hardened before i made it into a ball. Oh well. Tastes great!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Cimber posted:

Well, tried making Mozzarella today but I messed it up somehow. Not exactly sure what happened, but its not very firm. Its good as a cheese spread and in fact i'm munching some right now spread on a triscuit. Very creamy and tastes good.

I suspect i either overheated the curds in the microwave,I did not drain out enough whey, or I did not kneed it enough to get it firm.

Oh well, I'll keep trying.

you don't need to knead it at all. you should really try to work it as little as possible.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Because I'm a poor college student, I've stuck to cheeses at trader joes because they're relatively affordable and they have a pretty good imported selection as well as their own house brand.

So far I've tried the goat cheese Brie, double cream Brie, Roquefort, Gouda, and white Stilton (w/ apricots).

The goat brie was really tasty. Much more creamier and a bit sharper than most other Brie cheeses I've had, like President and the double cream brie.

Gouda was not bad. It was cheap cause it was the TJ's brand but didn't have too strong of a flavor but I guess that's kind of expected of Gouda. A workhorse cheese.

Roquefort was awesome. It was my first time trying Roquefort and it tasted like a blue cheese but way creamier and stronger in taste. It was very very salty though.

White Stilton with apricot was interesting... It was dry and crumbly bur it tasted like cheesecake because of the apricot in it. A dessert cheese, I guess.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Stopping at the cheese/meat store sometime soon, found an article for a good budget cheese plate. It listed these as the 4 cheeses,

"A soft, double-creme cheese called Fromage d'affinois, velvety blue Fourme d'ambert, sweet Marieke Gouda, and a slightly funky Springbrook Reading Raclette. "

Seems like a pretty good collection to pick up in my view. What do you cheese people think?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

goodness posted:

Stopping at the cheese/meat store sometime soon, found an article for a good budget cheese plate. It listed these as the 4 cheeses,

"A soft, double-creme cheese called Fromage d'affinois, velvety blue Fourme d'ambert, sweet Marieke Gouda, and a slightly funky Springbrook Reading Raclette. "

Seems like a pretty good collection to pick up in my view. What do you cheese people think?

Fromager d'Affinois is one of my favorites, so I'm biased in saying that, yes, that's a great choice. Fourme d'Ambert is pretty rad too. I don't know if I've had that kind of raclette before, but I'm sure that should be enjoyable. Others will have to weigh in on that specific gouda, though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Fromager d'Affinois is one of my favorites, so I'm biased in saying that, yes, that's a great choice. Fourme d'Ambert is pretty rad too. I don't know if I've had that kind of raclette before, but I'm sure that should be enjoyable. Others will have to weigh in on that specific gouda, though.

Awesome! That is good to hear, I am just getting into cheese so all the specific names do not really mean anything yet to me.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Yes. Four awesome cheeses.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

yes posted:

Yes. Four awesome cheeses.

Thanks! I will report back with pictures and words once I finally get them. May be a week though :( Planning on picking up a pork belly or some duck to experiment with charcuterie as well.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I tried out some Saga Blue Brie and Yancy's Fancy Smoked Double Cream Cheddar.

Both were quite lovely; I'm glad to try more things Cambozola-like, and I'm generally a fan of smoked cheeses. It was nicely chunky as I tried to get the cheddar to melt on my tongue in order to savor the smoky flavor.

Additionally, my friend and I opted for what the joint advertised as a 30-month gouda, but as it turns out, the place was out of 30-month... and instead had been serving a 5-year that they had been getting. I think I'm finding that aged Goudas are a favorite field of mine.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
"Cheese is serious business in Vietnam"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, that is a decent cheese...

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Cimber posted:

Well, that is a decent cheese...

It's sliced processed "cheese food".

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

sports posted:

It's sliced processed "cheese food".

oh, is it? I thought it was dutch cheese that sells for like 10 bucks an ounce here.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been eating lots of Cambozola recently, it's so morish.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Has anyone had any experience eating Grayson? It's the latest addition to the rotating cheese plate at my workplace, and we have customers straight up refusing to eat it because it smells so bad. I like stinky things, so I'm having a hard time relating to that feeling.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Tender Child Loins posted:

Has anyone had any experience eating Grayson? It's the latest addition to the rotating cheese plate at my workplace, and we have customers straight up refusing to eat it because it smells so bad. I like stinky things, so I'm having a hard time relating to that feeling.

Interesting. As far as I know, Meadow Creek shuts down production of Grayson for three or four months beginning in November when the grass starts to go away in Virginia and is subsequently not usually available February through May-ish. I'm guessing the cheese that you guys have been buying is very, very old and probably overripe.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Either that or it's the first batch of the season, in which case I need to call down there and get some on our counters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

yes posted:

Interesting. As far as I know, Meadow Creek shuts down production of Grayson for three or four months beginning in November when the grass starts to go away in Virginia and is subsequently not usually available February through May-ish. I'm guessing the cheese that you guys have been buying is very, very old and probably overripe.

Hmmm, interesting. We get our cheeses directly from an established cheese shop in town, and I feel like they would have said something if that were the case. Thanks for the tip, though. I'd be surprised if the shop were trying to pull one over on us, but I'll look into it.

• Locked thread