Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snidely Whiplash
Jun 24, 2007
Oh Bugger!
I haven't seen a cheese-focused thread in GWS in a very long time, so I decided to make one for me and other turophiles to nerd out in. Use this thread as a forum to discuss your favourite cheese, your favourite cheese recipes, etc.

Personally, I recently started a job as a cheese buyer for a large grocery chain, and despite having a passion for all cheeses (the funkier the better), I'm constantly looking to learn more, specifically about unique artisanal cheese makers in America.

So, fellow cheese-heads, care to enlighten me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snidely Whiplash
Jun 24, 2007
Oh Bugger!

dumptruckzzz posted:

Sarvecchio and BellaVitano are actually both from the same company, Sartori, which does a handful of other things too, we get in their gorgonzola. I don't think I've ever enjoyed the Bella Gold, which is just the plain cheese, but I do like the espresso even though it smells like burnt toast.

I've seriously been craving some Halloumi lately, its amazing fried and tossed in salads and probably the best thing ever in scrambled eggs. Also amazing on its own.

Halloumi makes me miss the summertime. Grilled with a balsamic glaze and salty olives is the best summertime meal ever.

Snidely Whiplash
Jun 24, 2007
Oh Bugger!

Affably Evil posted:

I'm looking for a particular cheese that I had at a dinner party a while ago, I was stupid and forgot to remember the name. :/

The meal was a really simple pasta dish with spinach and no sauce, but it was served with a cheese similar to brie that had been baked in its rind. It got very runny and each person scooped some over the pasta. It was AMAZING. What kind of cheese would work well for this? I remember it being stronger than brie but not overwhelming for the amount we scooped. (Which was a lot. I like cheese.)

Robiola would work, being an Italian soft cheese.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/robiola-bosina.html

Snidely Whiplash
Jun 24, 2007
Oh Bugger!

Baron Von Face posted:

I really like my blue cheese, and picked up one wrapped in cheese wax at the Royal Melbourne Show this year. My question which Google can't answer for me is if being wrapped in wax makes the mold do this.

Its brown-gray as opposed to blue-y, and... well you can see the brown bits...

The taste isn't omgbluecheese, but it's not bad, and the smell is pungent but not awful. The use by date is December and we got it 2 weeks ago.

Will I die thread, y/n? Do I only eat the grey bits and toss the rest? Is it not aged fully yet and I'm being a big baby? I wants the cheese :(

You wont die. My bosses have made me eat cheese that was foamy so that I would know what expired cheese tastes like, and I'm still here to tell the tale. Unless it tastes really bitter and acidic, you're fine. What's it gonna do, go mouldy?

• Locked thread