Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I feel so sorry for you American fellas. Europe is the place to be for cheese. Well, I'm UK so to what extent that can really be considered Europe might be up for debate but I'll be damned if I can't get (relatively) cheap imported Brie de Meaux and Normandy Camembert from my local cheesemongers. Brie de Meaux in particular is just the best - it's about a hundred times nicer than standard bland supermarket Brie (which I honestly just think tastes like custard - President, I'm looking at you) and has a lovely, vaguely mushroomy taste. Works amazingly with bacon in a baguette. Oh, and I can get Isle of Mull Cheddar and amazing proper Colston Bassett Stilton too.

Is it true that 'cheese' to most Americans just means sliced American Cheese? They'll actually melt that on bread and call it food? Really? If so I feel legitimate pity.

Juice Box Hero posted:

Is it bad that of all the cheddars I've tried, the loving cracker barrel brand in the kraft singles area is the one I like the most?

I was just sick in my mouth.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

camoseven posted:

gently caress you.

Jesus. I made one of those grilled cheese things ages ago and nearly puked, you're welcome to them.

(Also, I was referring to 'Americans' as in the 'general American public', not people who are posting on an internet forum about cheese and obviously have slightly better taste.)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Doh004 posted:

If it induced vomiting you might want to get checked out. Also what you said is dumb.

Obviously that was an exaggeration but I did struggle to finish it. The consistency was just all wrong. I'm not even particularly snobby - I don't think ASDA's own brand cheddar is bad as far as supermarket stuff goes. Hell, I'm not trying to prove anything and I couldn't give a flying gently caress how wrong anyone thinks I am. I'll just sit here enjoying my Isle of Mull. I just didn't expect people in a thread dedicated to cheese to be talking about the ready sliced burger variety.

WD40 posted:

I see a lot of horrible stuff being called 'Cheddar'. Bear in mind that Cheddar is a place in England, real Cheddar comes from there and doesn't at all resemble the various plastic abominations you call Cheddar cheese in the US. For real Cheddar, import anything labelled 'West Country Farmhouse Cheddar' from the UK

Fun fact: Despite lending its name to one of the most internationally well known cheeses, there's only one cheesemaker in Cheddar, and for a long time there were none.

Related fact: Stilton cheese cannot legally be called Stilton if it is made in the village of Stilton. There's a PDO on it that means it has to be produced in Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire or Derbyshire. Stilton is in Cambridgeshire. Apparently the cheese got that name because it was commonly sold there, not produced there.

The Midniter posted:

Processed American cheese is actually my favorite type to have on a simple cheeseburger. Its melting characteristics along with the familiar taste just make it perfect. This is basically the only application I use American cheese slices for. Even in a grilled cheese I prefer to use other stronger, more assertive varieties.

Also, like what Doh004 said, if you actually struggled to finish a grilled cheese, you should really get that checked out. It's not like it's loving fermented tofu or durian or something.

I'm the same - they're fine on burgers but I wouldn't have them on anything else. I'm wondering whether the sliced cheese I got from my UK supermarket is somehow different to the stuff that's common in the US? I just remember it struggling to melt properly under the grill and ending up weird and half solid while tasting of little but fat.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 11, 2013

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jakcson posted:

I'll probably sound like a heretic here, but I love cheddar cheese.

There are so many varieties, and it is just so reliable. I can't get enough of it.

I should probably experiment with the other types of cheese, but cheddar is good enough for me.

There's nothing wrong with cheddar, though some of the lower end stuff is just horrific (supermarket value ranges tend to taste of rubber). In the UK at least you can get some excellent stuff from farmer's markets for pretty cheap - I've had cheddar infused with everyting from nettles to whisky to garlic to chilli and all of it worked amazingly well. Weirdly enough, it is very possible to get really tasty cheddar from supermarkets too - I'm a big fan of McLellands Seriously Strong for everyday use (and if you don't mind paying a little extra, their vintage variety is just amazing for something mass produced).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

vaginal culture posted:

When I lived in the UK the cheese selection was so poor. We have such a great variety of artisan cheeses in the US that it really can't compare. I personally get Chubut from a very local grass fed source where all the milk is sourced and processed on site it's just delightful and worlds better than any plastic wrapped brick you'd get from Tesco.

Really? I feel like we have a huge selection of really good UK cheese and a lot of easily accessible stuff from mainland Europe. Obviously you're not going to find them in Tesco but if you go to a proper cheesemonger there's a huge variety of high quality stuff.

• Locked thread