Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
I really don't know a whole lot, but I've been working in a grocery store cheese dept for ~8 months now, and aside from just cutting and packaging it I've also tried most of the cheeses we carry, which has gotta be around 75. So I might be able to help out with recommendations and pairings, particularly with beer.

Also St Andre barely sells at my store and we regularly have to mark it down before it passes the manufacturer's date.

I will say that if you're going to a store with an active cheese department, as in one that cuts and packages on location, get as many samples as you can. Easiest way to figure out flavors for pairings, and unless the employees are dicks its no hassle at all to cut off a sample and rewrap.

Double edit: I had some Blue Stilton the other day that tasted like I had covered my tongue in 9v batteries, can any cheese nerds explain why this would happen? I've had it before and its always been comparably mild

dumptruckzzz fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Sarvecchio and BellaVitano are actually both from the same company, Sartori, which does a handful of other things too, we get in their gorgonzola. I don't think I've ever enjoyed the Bella Gold, which is just the plain cheese, but I do like the espresso even though it smells like burnt toast.

I've seriously been craving some Halloumi lately, its amazing fried and tossed in salads and probably the best thing ever in scrambled eggs. Also amazing on its own.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Marceline Abadeer posted:

So, I saw a wheel of something called "baby brie" at the grocery store and brought it home. It's tasty. I like the rind! But what's the difference between this and regular brie? Google is unhelpful!

Most likely just the size, was it a small wheel that was completely covered in the rind? When you buy brie pieces that have been cut from a larger wheel, the flavors will start developing more rapidly, which can eventually lead to some strong ammonia smells and flavors. Small wheels or sometimes even wedges that still have the rind all over won't be affected by this as much (to my understanding).

So basically there should really not be much difference beyond normal brand differences. The mini brie might be more mild than a cut and wrapped piece from a service cheese shop, but that depends on how long the cut brie has had to ripen. What you bought could also be basically Camembert but renamed to avoid confusion, but Camembert also would have a slightly stronger flavor

dumptruckzzz fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 27, 2013

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Kerrygold's Irish Stout Dubliner is pretty common, and could possibly be similar to the porter cheddar but I've also never had that so who knows. The Dubliner really doesn't have any strong stout flavor that I can pick up, but if you can find it around you, get a sample.

I used to really enjoy goat cheese, as in the soft Montchevre type stuff, but like a year ago I just stopped enjoying it, I can absolutely get into some Beemster Goat or Snofrisk but the soft stuff doesn't do it anymore.

Speaking of peppadews (and Beemster), I think I could eat Beemster XO (or classic... or vlaskaas) with peppadews every day without getting bored of it.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Nostrum posted:

It also makes really, really loving good mac and cheese.

I had to sample out a bunch of Adams Reserve Cheddar at a local wine thing, it was all donated cheese from either the company or our warehouses so I walked away with a 4 pound block of cheese (and free wine). I see a lot of awesome mac and cheese in the future

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Captainsalami posted:

So i picked up this cheese in the fancy cheese section of my local grocery store. I heard it tasted like sweet caramel and had an odd swedish name, came in a little package and was square. Instead of sweet it tasted horrible with a barely detectable caramel flavor. Was it a bad chunk? I was all excited to try it too cause i like caramel. :(:

I'm interested to hear what you thought tasted horrible about it, I've always really liked gjetost and I guess I thought it was on of those cheeses that anyone could like.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Got some Stilton at 7.99/lb, it sort of sucks working at a nice-ish cheese shop in a town that doesn't want to buy good cheese but it also means stuff gets reduced way more than it should. As in consistently over 50% off when its around 2 weeks to its manufacturers date.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
For Brie like cheeses, I'd also try to find some Taleggio or Morbier, both of which will have a slightly stronger aroma but a similar and awesome flavor. Taleggio will be a little more similar to brie than Morbier, which is a little stronger. In the same vein, you could always get some young Limburger.

Cotswold is one of my favorite cheeses, especially with a lighter beer. Or a few lighter beers.

dumptruckzzz fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 11, 2013

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
It's not sweet, any cheese that you've had that's soft and could be described as sweet had something added to it. Fromager d'affinois is a good answer for what you're looking for, just find some honey, fruit, or some kinda preserve to mix with it.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Where do you live? I probably wouldn't buy a 9 month cheddar for that price + shipping if I hadn't tried it before. But if you don't have somewhere nearby that you can buy cheese at, even like a grocery store that cuts/packages wheels on site, then just buy a small amount of that cheddar so you're not wasting money.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Aged brick cheese.

Something like this or a taleggio, any kind of washed rind would fit what you're asking for. Asiago fresco would work too.

But also you can't stand soft cheese so I don't know why it matters

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
One of our chefs made risotto with fresh mozzarella and balsamic today and it was amazing so I really don't know why you can't stand soft cheese besides being very bitchy

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Looks like the fda has updated their alert for cheese imports, so until they stop being dicks expect to see some price increases or just stuff out of stock. I already can't order in morbier, roquefort, and blue d'auvergne, and I think blue stilton/huntsman is being affected now too.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Yeah but from what I gathered that lists all the active alerts, so if you look for the ones that were added recently you can see what's being affected. I only know because of a meeting I was at a few days ago, but I probably should've figured it out when that stuff stopped showing up...

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Well we got in a half-wheel of Cognac Bellavitano for the holidays, so far I've managed to sell .10 lbs so not a bad start. 79.99/lb, and I'm worried people are going to steal pieces

Also I went on a tour of cheese plants in Wisconsin back in September which was pretty fun, not too many pictures because we had to sign non-disclosure agreements for many places.

But here's a bunch of Roth Grand Cru (pretty sure) being aged

and the disgusting area where they spray annatto onto muenster

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Happy Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day, enjoy your E. coli

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Eat the whole cheese

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
A couple days ago I had to cut and wrap one ounce of Romano for a lady because she didn't want to buy the whole $5 piece, just 75 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Was this the Country Castle Limburger? It sounds like the little aging guide they put on the side. I've tried it at about the same point, it had just gone out of date so we had to throw out a few packages, and it was pretty bad. If you're trying it again, cut off the outer layer and stick with the very inside. If that's still too strong (probably will be) then I'd just give up

• Locked thread