Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Reviving this thread because I'd like to explore more cheeses through y'all's recommendations.

So recently, I managed to pick up a couple of nice selections from my semi-local Whole Foods - Cotswold and a version of Fromager d'Affinois with garlic and herbs.

The former is a double Gloucester with chives and onions in it; the latter, a double cream with a fair bit of kick on its own, with the garlic and herbs adding a lot more flavour. I enjoyed both of them.

If I want to explore more Brie-like cheeses, what would y'all recommend? I've had... Port Salut, Saint-Honoré, Délice de Bourgogne, and a few others whose names I can't recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm fairly certain that I've had Taleggio before, but I'll keep Morbier and Livarot in mind for the future; I tend to shy away from blue cheeses, though.

In terms of other pretty rad cheese I've had, there was this one variety some friends got for a party that was great, but I can't pin down the exact type. I knew it as Beemster, but a quick search seems to show quite a few types of Beemster, and I don't believe the cheese was labeled aside from just being "Beemster". Regardless, I'd recommend trying at least one variety of it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Picked up some Cambozola today as well as some Brillat-Saverin based on you folks' recommendations. I partook of the Cambozola tonight with some friends, and I figure I'll try out the Brillat-Saverin sometime this week.

I've also got some Cotswold to share with friends next week; that's some nice stuff.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Scathach posted:

So my husband and I looked all over for Roquefort and couldn't find it... then last night it pops up at Walmart. He hates it, and I'm glad I get the entire slice to myself. This stuff is great.

I like most cheeses except for the soft stuff like brie. This thread needs to not die, because cheese is awesome.

Agreed. I haven't been able to get any new cheese lately, but a couple of my friends are having a housewarming party and have requested that I bring cheese.

I'll take pictures of what I get and relay my thoughts on 'em here; I hope to get a good amount of new things I've never tried.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I stopped by one place to get some new varieties earlier.

Today I got Bayley Hazen, a blue, Hooligan, washed rind cow, and Cardo, a raw semisoft goat. The latter was a spur-of-the-moment recommendation out of a fresh wheel, so I'm reasonably excited to share these with other folks soon. I'll probably take pictures of the spread I mash together and report on how it all was.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Post-tasting report on stuff that I haven't had before:

Scharfe Maxx - cow; described elsewhere as "swiss and nutty", "tangy, meaty flavor"; bit on the dry side but quite enjoyable.
Blue Shropshire - cow; "full-fat semi-hard"; yellow with a nice blue veining. I found it alright; perhaps not appealing enough to me personally to warrant a repurchase, but worth a try.
Cardo - Goat; semi-soft; uses thistle stamens rather than animal rennet as coagulant; "pungent and meaty with floral undertones". Pretty nice if a bit pungent.
Bayley Hazen - cow; "sweet, nutty, and grassy flavors"; "distinct licorice flavor"; not quite my favorite blue, but an interesting try nonetheless.
Hooligan - cow; "notes of grass and walnuts on top of an underlying sweetness"; the most pungent of the evening.
Robiola due Latte - cow & sheep; soft and bloomy rind; oozed a good bit; very smooth, would acquire again.

I also brought along Extra Aged Beemster, Cambozola, and Cotswold for folks to try.

The most common question was "which of these is most like cheddar?"
I directed folks towards the Cotswold. I prefer to bring more novelty-like cheeses so that I can experience more cheese along with others.
All in all, it was a splendid night for trying new things, and for the party hosts, they get to perhaps mash it all up into mac and cheese or something. Win-win!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

yes posted:

I'm a big fan of the non-traditional Swiss cheeses like Scharfe Maxx and Challerhocker, which began to emerge from dairies a few decades ago after the government decided to allow other cheeses to be made besides the AOC-approved varieties. I count Challerhocker ("cellar-sitter") especially among my all time favorites; Walter Rass's farm in St. Gallen makes a firm but creamy, nutty, fruity cheese that has a sweet cream and butterscotch finish. If you ever have a chance to taste some, don't hesitate!

I found Scharfe Maxx pleasant when I had it; I'll keep an eye out for Challerhocker when I go cheese hunting in the future. Any other good varieties you'd recommend?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

yes posted:

Check out Fromager d'Affinois.

Especially the version with garlic and herb. So amazing.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I tried Saint Agur the other day. Pretty nice blue. The star of the night, though, was the Pradera. Excellent 3 year aged gouda.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

goodness posted:

Stopping at the cheese/meat store sometime soon, found an article for a good budget cheese plate. It listed these as the 4 cheeses,

"A soft, double-creme cheese called Fromage d'affinois, velvety blue Fourme d'ambert, sweet Marieke Gouda, and a slightly funky Springbrook Reading Raclette. "

Seems like a pretty good collection to pick up in my view. What do you cheese people think?

Fromager d'Affinois is one of my favorites, so I'm biased in saying that, yes, that's a great choice. Fourme d'Ambert is pretty rad too. I don't know if I've had that kind of raclette before, but I'm sure that should be enjoyable. Others will have to weigh in on that specific gouda, though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I tried out some Saga Blue Brie and Yancy's Fancy Smoked Double Cream Cheddar.

Both were quite lovely; I'm glad to try more things Cambozola-like, and I'm generally a fan of smoked cheeses. It was nicely chunky as I tried to get the cheddar to melt on my tongue in order to savor the smoky flavor.

Additionally, my friend and I opted for what the joint advertised as a 30-month gouda, but as it turns out, the place was out of 30-month... and instead had been serving a 5-year that they had been getting. I think I'm finding that aged Goudas are a favorite field of mine.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Picked up some of that Chimay Doré Gold stuff. Looking forward to it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I had some absolutely delicious Robiola due Latte one time and it was runny as all get-out. Sometimes that kind of runniness really just hits the spot.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

dumptruckzzz posted:

A couple days ago I had to cut and wrap one ounce of Romano for a lady because she didn't want to buy the whole $5 piece, just 75 cents.

Sounds like some I'm Gonna Get You Sucka-level partitioning right there.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Just had a little bit of Midnight Moon. Still not 100% used to goat-milk cheeses, but at least the little crystals were a delicious touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In the meantime, the cheese store near me went out of business and never got around to ordering Epoisses for me.

I guess I've gotta get on that again.

The one I used to walk to back in college got some before but my schedule didn't permit me getting it. Nor did I have proper storage for it, as I understand.

Maybe someday.

• Locked thread