Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have been interested in trying new, nice cheeses and found there are monthly clubs. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am looking at
1. CheeseMonthClub, which is 91.90 for two months (1.5lbs of 3 cheese per month)
2. Penn Mac's Club which is 90$ + shipping for 3 months (2lbs of 4 cheese per month). History for the 3 months I would get it is
January: Free Range Cheese
Vlaskaas from Holland- Alto Badia from Italy-Rashera Leroy Pyrenees from France.

February: A Taste of France
Comte- Morbier- Istara Chistou- Chevron Goat

March: A Taste of Ireland
Dubliner- Cheddar Vintage- Cahill Porter- Erin Gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

yes posted:

Try one of Murray's Month Clubs! http://www.murrayscheese.com/monthly-clubs.html

I'm biased because I work for the wholesale department there, but the month clubs are great!

I checked that out, just too expensive. 50$+ a month for 1.5lb.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

yes posted:

If you're interested, I can get you 10% off.

I'll think about it! Its hard to justify almost double the price of the others though :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

So I got a Cheese club for January and February. New to cheese, so thought this would be a cool thing to try. What do you guys think of the first month?

January consists of a 1/3 lb. each of:
Mirabo Walnut: Mirabo Walnut is a classic Brie crafted in German style.
Five Territories: Five Territories from Britain's Abbey Farms is an amazing combination of five different British cheeses that are layered on top of one another to create a one of a kind cheese.
Salemville Amish Blue: Salemville Amish Blue Cheese is made from cow’s mile, this cheese has a mild, earthy flavor, well balanced and flavorful.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

yes posted:

Sure I have, but baking in walnuts and aging the cheese with them are two totally different things. I'll bet the nuts make the cheese taste bitter.

I will report back, should come the 3rd Tuesday of the month. I just have never tried cheese before besides the regular cheddar/swiss/provolone/pepper jack/etc.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone know where to order a good Comte online? I was also looking at the following, first time getting good cheese:

http://www.miltoncreamery.com/cheese/prairie-breeze.html Prairie Breeze
http://www.roguecreamery.com/store/product/1391/Smokey-Blue-Cheese-Wheel/ Smokey Blue

Can anyone recommend a good soft, creamy (maybe sweet) cheese. Like the ones that almost melt at room temperature, I don't know what they are.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

yes posted:

Check out Fromager d'Affinois.

I could not tell from the description, is it sweet at all?

And is the Prairie Breeze good enough to order? It is a cheddar cheese, so I just don't want to get something that tastes like regular cheddar.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ok thanks for the advice. If any of you guys could post your top 5 cheese, that would be an amazing help. I was going to do the cheese club, but its much more efficient to find out good cheese from you all.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Stopping at the cheese/meat store sometime soon, found an article for a good budget cheese plate. It listed these as the 4 cheeses,

"A soft, double-creme cheese called Fromage d'affinois, velvety blue Fourme d'ambert, sweet Marieke Gouda, and a slightly funky Springbrook Reading Raclette. "

Seems like a pretty good collection to pick up in my view. What do you cheese people think?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Fromager d'Affinois is one of my favorites, so I'm biased in saying that, yes, that's a great choice. Fourme d'Ambert is pretty rad too. I don't know if I've had that kind of raclette before, but I'm sure that should be enjoyable. Others will have to weigh in on that specific gouda, though.

Awesome! That is good to hear, I am just getting into cheese so all the specific names do not really mean anything yet to me.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

yes posted:

Yes. Four awesome cheeses.

Thanks! I will report back with pictures and words once I finally get them. May be a week though :( Planning on picking up a pork belly or some duck to experiment with charcuterie as well.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hmmm, interesting. We get our cheeses directly from an established cheese shop in town, and I feel like they would have said something if that were the case. Thanks for the tip, though. I'd be surprised if the shop were trying to pull one over on us, but I'll look into it.

Did anything come of this after you found out it was old cheese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I have a friend coming to stay with me tomorrow from France and he happens to bring some cheese.

I need condiments and crackers/etc to match this. What should I get to not look like a fool

• Locked thread