Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
So, I saw a wheel of something called "baby brie" at the grocery store and brought it home. It's tasty. I like the rind! But what's the difference between this and regular brie? Google is unhelpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012

dumptruckzzz posted:

Most likely just the size, was it a small wheel that was completely covered in the rind? When you buy brie pieces that have been cut from a larger wheel, the flavors will start developing more rapidly, which can eventually lead to some strong ammonia smells and flavors. Small wheels or sometimes even wedges that still have the rind all over won't be affected by this as much (to my understanding).

So basically there should really not be much difference beyond normal brand differences. The mini brie might be more mild than a cut and wrapped piece from a service cheese shop, but that depends on how long the cut brie has had to ripen. What you bought could also be basically Camembert but renamed to avoid confusion, but Camembert also would have a slightly stronger flavor

It was pretty small and rather mild, so I think you hit the nail on the head there. Thank you!

• Locked thread