Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
And for people than enjoy goat cheese, you need to try some "Cabecou", french cheese, strong in taste but delicious !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Mister Macys posted:

:hfive:

What are some good accompaniments for roquefort (crackers/fruit/antipastos and such)?
Also, are there any blues that are similar to roquefort in taste?

The only other blues I've tried were:
raw milk Stilton - a little old-sock-ish for me
Gorgonzola - alright, but nothing special
Danish blue - yech, like eating coins
Some Quebec :canada: blue cheese I can't remember the name of that tasted vaguely similar to roquefort

I love it into omelette or simply with french bread :)
I never tasted another cheese similar to this one, it's very specific.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

1024x768 posted:

This thread inspired me to finally bite the bullet and pick up some Roquefort. I was impressed at the complexity, but it is very, very strong. I picked up some 1000 day aged gouda from Trader Joe's as well as some italian truffle cheese today. I'll post a trip report later!

If you come to france you will find stronger cheese than roquefort ;)
But yeah it's a nice one for that :)

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
If you want something stronger than "usual" brie, you can taste the "Brie de Meaux" which is the best brie.

It's between brie and camembert taste.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

yes posted:

You should also see if you can get your hands on Brie Fermier (Brie of the farm). It's styled after Brie de Meaux, but since you can't get the real stuff in America (they send over the pasteurized version, Fromage de Meaux, which doesn't taste nearly as good), I prefer Fermier. It's amazing: deep, rich, barnyardy, vegetal...it smells like butter and roasted cauliflower.

Oh ... I always forget that you only have access to pasteurized cheese in the USA... :(

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Kenning posted:

Even imported cheese have to be either pasteurized or aged at least 60 days. That's why there is such a thing as a black market in cheese.

I see, so you can only have access to chesse like Roquefort, Mimolette, etc, right ? (not "young" cheese like Brie, Tome, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Kenning posted:

We don't have access to all the acclaimed young delicate brie and stuff. Unless you know somebody.

That's why I see a lot of US people inside Cheese bars in Paris :)

• Locked thread