Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'd always heard the praises sung of Humboldt Fog, but it was always a bit rich for my blood. Then the local Harris Teeter began selling small sample sizes of it, so I dropped the $5 for a bit of it which actually came with a straw-type thing full of honey.

I don't think I've ever eaten a more delicious cheese, and I love me some cheese. It's taken a serious amount of willpower not to drop a lot of coin on some more, because I know it'd be gone in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I see that there. posted:

The fromagerie right around the corner from me is selling 29 year aged cheddar.
I think I'm going to buy some for my wife as an anniversary present...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...let me guess, last year you got her a bowling ball?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Processed American cheese is actually my favorite type to have on a simple cheeseburger. Its melting characteristics along with the familiar taste just make it perfect. This is basically the only application I use American cheese slices for. Even in a grilled cheese I prefer to use other stronger, more assertive varieties.

Also, like what Doh004 said, if you actually struggled to finish a grilled cheese, you should really get that checked out. It's not like it's loving fermented tofu or durian or something.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Like most cheeses, wouldn't burrata benefit from being room temp as opposed to cold? Might be why it seemed bland to you.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Pangloss posted:

After having some amazing freshly made ricotta, I'm thinking of trying my hand at it and making some at home for Thanksgiving. Anyone have a good recipe and advice for someone that has never made cheese before?

This could literally not be easier.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goodness posted:

I have a friend coming to stay with me tomorrow from France and he happens to bring some cheese.

I need condiments and crackers/etc to match this. What should I get to not look like a fool

A nice crusty baguette that you slice on a bias, some crackers (can be plain water crackers or lightly-flavored variety like olive oil and cracked pepper, I wouldn't go crazy with Flavor Blasted Cheezy Guzzlers or anything like that), red and green grapes, olive tapenade, perhaps some charcuterie (coppa, salami, prosciutto), and some sort of marmalade or pepper jelly or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I tried a couple samples of blues from Sequatchie Cove Creamery yesterday and was blown away by their Bellamy Blue. It's one of the "meatiest" cheeses I've ever tasted, so I had to bring some home. Highly recommended!

• Locked thread