Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Seconding the love for Irish beer-cheese. Here in Britain one of our supermarket chains, Waitrose, has made their own version with Murhy's Irish Stout and it's loving killer grilled on toast, especially with some fine-diced pickled Jalapenos thrown in.

Pookah posted:

Epoisses is rowdy; it's like camenbert if it went to the bad and started smoking hard drugs and didn't give any kind of shits about what the pastor thought about it. Personally I went the blue cheese route at that stage and dove into cambozola and oh my god, roquefort.

I loving love Epoisses. I live about 25 miles off the Normandy coast so we import all sorts of wicked French soft cheeses. My favourite has to be Pont L'Evecque.

Came in here to tell you all about Västerbottensost though. I've never, ever seen this cheese in the local Delicatessens until recently, apparently not much makes it out of Sweden. It's like a perfect cross between Cheddar and Parmesan.

Wikipedia posted:

The village of Burträsk (now part of the Skellefteå municipality) claims Västerbotten cheese was invented there in the 1870s, supposedly by a dairy maid, Eleonora Lindström. According to legend, she was left alone to stir the curd of a traditional cheese but was interrupted, either by other chores or an assignation with her lover. This resulted in alternating periods of heating and stirring of the curdling milk. Västerbotten cheese is produced only by Norrmejerier, at the dairy in Burträsk.

In Sweden, Västerbotten cheese is considered a must-have for the late summer Crayfish party. It adds distinctive flavor to the highly popular Västerbotten cheese pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Came in to recommend the imaginatively named Kaltbach Creamy & Tasty. I'd take a picture but the whole block just mysteriously evaporated before I managed to get a picture. Seriously good cave-aged cheese. Semi soft, sweet and nutty.

One Swell Foop posted:

If you can find it, Swaledale is maybe even better, although production is much lower.

Had a cracking Swaledale from the local Waitrose cheese counter recently.

Wensleydale is nice too though; Some years ago I discovered that it works really well crumbled and grilled over corned beef and chutney, especially on an "English" muffin with real butter. Awesome Sunday/Hangover comfort food.

Red_Fred posted:

What is the best way to store various types of cheese? If I buy expensive cheese I want it to last as long and taste as good as possible.

I find eating it is a good way to make sure it doesn't spoil. Cheese is lucky to last 12 hours in my fridge.

• Locked thread