Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yes
Aug 26, 2004

on my way up to the vermont cheesemaker's festival last weekend i was lucky enough to be invited to tour the cellars at jasper hill, this insane $3.2 million cheese aging facility in greensboro, vt. they make and age some incredible cheeses there using their own milk and milk that is sourced from other farms in the northeast kingdom that are too small to effectively distribute their own dairy. we had to wear lab coats and sterilized boots and hairnets. every time you go into or out of a cave you have to wash your boots off in sterile foot baths. cool. ok here are some pictures

this is the entrance to the cellars. it's underground. neat.

the first cave we went into was the bloomy rind cave. this is the harbison rack, which is a soft ripened cheese bound in strips of spruce bark which gives it a very earthy, woodsy, minerally flavor. we take this cheese back to our own caves in new york and wash it with a beer brine for eleven madison park to turn it into greensward. this rack has on it some very young harbisons which are less than a day old.

here they are after 11 days. ready to get wrapped up. even though they are a few weeks away from being able to eat, it's important to not let the mold run too wild or the rind will get ruined.

the washed rind cave. we weren't even allowed to go in this one because of the risk of contamination. fine. whatever.

this is the clothbound cheddar cave. by far the largest of the 6. jasper hill gets 35 pound wheels of cheddar from cabot and wraps them in muslin, then paints them with lard, then puts a second layer of muslin on. this protects the cheddar from cheese mites during its 14 month aging process, and also provides a great place for microflora to inhabit, as well as allowing the cheese to lose moisture, intensifying the flavor as it gets older.

the affineur who showed us around described the cloth layer as a "metropolis of microflora"

the bayley hazen blue cave. one of my all time favorite blues. they use loose stones as part of the floor to help regulate moisture levels in the cave.

young

almost ready. this is a few days after piercing. when blue cheese is made, the blue mold spores are mixed in with the curd. after it is pressed, it's pierced by needles to allow oxygen into the paste. this activates the mold and allows blue veins to form.

moldy

cool. that place is really amazing. it's gigantic and it feels like being in a space ship filled with cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Coco13 posted:

This Saturday I'm going to the Festival of Cheese. I have very little cheese experience that isn't in the local grocery mart. Right now, my plan is try each cheese that's in Cheese Shop. Any other advice?

eat everything

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Luminaz posted:

If you want something stronger than "usual" brie, you can taste the "Brie de Meaux" which is the best brie.

It's between brie and camembert taste.

You should also see if you can get your hands on Brie Fermier (Brie of the farm). It's styled after Brie de Meaux, but since you can't get the real stuff in America (they send over the pasteurized version, Fromage de Meaux, which doesn't taste nearly as good), I prefer Fermier. It's amazing: deep, rich, barnyardy, vegetal...it smells like butter and roasted cauliflower.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

EatThePixies posted:

What are you people talking about? You can buy raw milk cheese in the U.S. This is just a small company that makes and sells both raw and pasteurized milk cheese. I can buy in the stores and get it through a CSA, it can't be the only one. http://www.lifelinefarm.com/DairyDirectCheesePriceList.pdf

edit: And I looked at the Fourme d'Ambert I got from loving Costco and it is made with unpasteurized milk.

Yes, as Kenning said, unpasteurized cheese in the US has to be aged at least 60 days. All of those cheeses you linked are over 2 months of age.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

To everyone poo-pooing pasteurized American young cheeses, I suggest you go out and buy a wheel of Green Hill from Sweet Grass Dairy. It's a plump little Camembert-style butter bomb. Eat it, then come back here and call the US a "cheese desert".

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Try one of Murray's Month Clubs! http://www.murrayscheese.com/monthly-clubs.html

I'm biased because I work for the wholesale department there, but the month clubs are great!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

If you're interested, I can get you 10% off.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

I'm a big fan of the non-traditional Swiss cheeses like Scharfe Maxx and Challerhocker, which began to emerge from dairies a few decades ago after the government decided to allow other cheeses to be made besides the AOC-approved varieties. I count Challerhocker ("cellar-sitter") especially among my all time favorites; Walter Rass's farm in St. Gallen makes a firm but creamy, nutty, fruity cheese that has a sweet cream and butterscotch finish. If you ever have a chance to taste some, don't hesitate!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

So I got a Cheese club for January and February. New to cheese, so thought this would be a cool thing to try. What do you guys think of the first month?

January consists of a 1/3 lb. each of:
Mirabo Walnut: Mirabo Walnut is a classic Brie crafted in German style.
Five Territories: Five Territories from Britain's Abbey Farms is an amazing combination of five different British cheeses that are layered on top of one another to create a one of a kind cheese.
Salemville Amish Blue: Salemville Amish Blue Cheese is made from cow’s mile, this cheese has a mild, earthy flavor, well balanced and flavorful.

Haven't tried any of these. The Amish blue might be good but to be honest Brie with walnuts in it sounds gross and I don't think I "get" the idea of stacking five different cheeses on top of each other.

Report back!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Martello posted:

You've never had baked brie with nuts and dried fruit? You're missing out, man.

Sure I have, but baking in walnuts and aging the cheese with them are two totally different things. I'll bet the nuts make the cheese taste bitter.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Can anyone recommend a good soft, creamy (maybe sweet) cheese. Like the ones that almost melt at room temperature, I don't know what they are.

Check out Fromager d'Affinois.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Ok thanks for the advice. If any of you guys could post your top 5 cheese, that would be an amazing help. I was going to do the cheese club, but its much more efficient to find out good cheese from you all.

Bloomy:
Harbison, Cellars at Jasper Hill
Green Hill, Sweet grass Dairy
La Tur

Natural:
Tomme Craeuse
Ossau-Iraty
Bleu Mont Bandaged Cheddar

Washed:
Vacherin Mont d'Or
Langres
Epoisses
Hooligan, Cato Corner Farm

Blue:
Chiriboga Blue
Rogue River Blue, Rogue Creamery
Fourme d'Ambert

Alpine:
Pleasant Ridge Reserve
Hoch Ybrig
Comte
Challerhocker

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Cimber posted:

Well, tried making Mozzarella today but I messed it up somehow. Not exactly sure what happened, but its not very firm. Its good as a cheese spread and in fact i'm munching some right now spread on a triscuit. Very creamy and tastes good.

I suspect i either overheated the curds in the microwave,I did not drain out enough whey, or I did not kneed it enough to get it firm.

Oh well, I'll keep trying.

you don't need to knead it at all. you should really try to work it as little as possible.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Stopping at the cheese/meat store sometime soon, found an article for a good budget cheese plate. It listed these as the 4 cheeses,

"A soft, double-creme cheese called Fromage d'affinois, velvety blue Fourme d'ambert, sweet Marieke Gouda, and a slightly funky Springbrook Reading Raclette. "

Seems like a pretty good collection to pick up in my view. What do you cheese people think?

Yes. Four awesome cheeses.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Tender Child Loins posted:

Has anyone had any experience eating Grayson? It's the latest addition to the rotating cheese plate at my workplace, and we have customers straight up refusing to eat it because it smells so bad. I like stinky things, so I'm having a hard time relating to that feeling.

Interesting. As far as I know, Meadow Creek shuts down production of Grayson for three or four months beginning in November when the grass starts to go away in Virginia and is subsequently not usually available February through May-ish. I'm guessing the cheese that you guys have been buying is very, very old and probably overripe.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Either that or it's the first batch of the season, in which case I need to call down there and get some on our counters!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hmmm, interesting. We get our cheeses directly from an established cheese shop in town, and I feel like they would have said something if that were the case. Thanks for the tip, though. I'd be surprised if the shop were trying to pull one over on us, but I'll look into it.

Just spoke with Helen down at the farm. They're just beginning to milk their cows this week so it's going to be another ~2 months until we see a new batch this season. I'd get that cheese off of your cheese plate.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Cold or room temperature. I prefer it cold, with nice, real balsamic vinegar and olive oil drizzled over it. With or without a big pile of arugula.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Sonic H posted:

Hopefully someone can suggest a few things - I'm looking for a strong, soft cheese (for a risotto) but I cannot stand things like blue cheeses or Bries/Camenberts/Goats cheeses etc.

I love very strong cheddars etc. so strength isn't a problem.

And suggestions welcome...if such a cheese exists of course.

Try Epoisses maybe? Honestly, this is a very strange question. You want a soft cheese, but you hate soft cheeses. What about them can you not stand? The texture, the flavor? If strength doesn't bother you, is stinky okay? Why do you need a soft cheese for a risotto? They're traditionally made with a very hard cheese that's grated in at the end.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

those look like dinner rolls

yes
Aug 26, 2004

what kind of cheese is it

yes
Aug 26, 2004

You shouldn't really stir at all right after the rennet goes in. Be gentle! Let the curd set for about five to ten minutes before cutting it. Only then do you stir it, slowly, for about 2 minutes while bringing the heat back up to like 105-110. I prefer to end it there, drain the curds off and store them in the fridge for later pulling.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

feed it to your pigs

yes
Aug 26, 2004

We slipped some Roquefort in somehow but are now forced to jack up the price.

Oh, and Andy Hatch let us know last week that there would be no Rush Creek Reserve this year due to the recent ambiguity of raw milk regulations. Sad days indeed.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

I haven't been able to import Tomme de Savoie for almost 3 months.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

dumptruckzzz posted:

Well we got in a half-wheel of Cognac Bellavitano for the holidays, so far I've managed to sell .10 lbs so not a bad start. 79.99/lb, and I'm worried people are going to steal pieces

Also I went on a tour of cheese plants in Wisconsin back in September which was pretty fun, not too many pictures because we had to sign non-disclosure agreements for many places.

But here's a bunch of Roth Grand Cru (pretty sure) being aged

and the disgusting area where they spray annatto onto muenster

Cool pictures! The cheese that is aging on the racks is actually Sole Gran Queso.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

ColdPie posted:

It's so good.

Looks great! Intense cream line...what's your "cave" setup like?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

ColdPie posted:

I posted about it further up the page.

Oh, I see it. I think I'm going to try this. We keep our bloomy cave around 47F and 92-98% humidity. Did you work somewhere within that? I'm worried about properly regulating the moisture when I scale this down into a wine fridge.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Eeyo posted:

I got a little thing of jarlsberg that I've been eating through. It's got some kind of paper on the outside that's clearly not edible. My question is, how far deep does the "rind" go? It's clearly soft/edible in the center but as you get towards the rind, there's maybe a cm or so of harder stuff. Is that part of the rind or just a more dried part?

Rind is always edible, without exception. Even wax rinds are technically foodsafe. Often, the paper or imprint on the rind just ends up just kind of fusing with the mold as it develops into a rind. Eat as much or as little of it as you are comfortable with.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

GUYS. I DID IT. I GOT THE HOOKS 10/15/20 YEAR CHEESE TASTING. HOLY gently caress.

:snoop: :eyepop: :catdrugs:

Was it actually good though? I'm extremely wary of cheeses aged past five years because they generally end up tasting like barf.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I know this is like 5 months ago but dang dude. You're really missing out. Cheddar starts to get super awesome after like 7-8 years. By 15-20 absolutely mindblowing.

It's not that I haven't tried long-aged Cheddars. It's just that i often find them to be overpriced and overwhelmingly bilious.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

You sure can. It would do better in a slightly warmer environment (~52F), but your fridge will still be effective.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Speaking of aged cheddar: 40 year Tillamook just showed up at my office.

I'll be honest, I was expecting it to be much worse than it actually was. It comes on strong and sweet, with malt and light butterscotch flavors that quickly fall away to a metallic, slightly spicy and butyric finish that sits heavily on the back of your palate.

Overall, not horrible. I'm not sure I'd pay money for it, but I'm glad I was able to try it.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Look at this bitch. I bet you take your steak well done.

I'm no bitch, and I don't care for Limburger. I've tried well over a thousand different cheeses and I find Limburger to be a pedestrian, gimmicky mess that's often severely overripe and inedibly ammoniated. Even young, it's not very good.

quote:

If you warm it up it loses a good deal of potency and becomes pretty mild.

This is wrong

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Oh hey the cheese thread got resurrected.

I accidentally bought four pounds of five year aged gouda the other day(hasn't been delivered yet). I have no idea what I'm going to do with four pounds of cheese.

I probably should have done some better reading comprehension(less drinking).

It's going to be really sweet, so prepare yourself for that. Aged gouda goes really well with salty - I love shaving it into pasta, actually. Another great combo is dark chocolate. I like to say that it tastes like an "adult butterfinger". Great to pair with Gose as well.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Don't rewax it, and there's no need to vacuum seal it. Just wrap it in plastic wrap or use a ziplock with the air squeezed out. The cheese has such low moisture that it'll never go bad (and I do mean never), so your goal is to keep what little moisture is left in the cheese from escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yes
Aug 26, 2004

holttho posted:

I've been doing a lot of cheesemaking lately; and one of my favorite recipies is a mangled mix of a Colummier and a Triple Creme. I am far too lazy to do the standard 'stir for 50+ minutes' that a real creamy-oozy St. Andre-esque requires, but it's plenty good for me and the giving of gifts. They are wonderfully spreadable and nice and fatty to boot.

My Sous-Vide Supreme comes through again! As mentioned above, I am lazy, so maintaining a temperature for 2 hours using a double boiler is out of the question.

As I am using a high-fat recipe along with grocery store milk, this is about the best break I can hope for. It firms up pretty decent with just a few minutes of stirring.

These have the consistency of hot cream-cheese. As they sit out at room temp for 24-36 hours before salting and being put in the ageing fridge, they are just little columns of goop waiting to go wrong.

During the ageing process, they're as fluffy as a cloud!

The two that are cut up in this one had some mis-colored molds on them. Though they were certainly edible, I know that once I vac-seal them, they will just turn to ammonia-city. They will be eaten post haste.

They are also fairly cold in that picture, so they are very crystalline there. They soften a bit once room temp'd.

Dope post! Think you could PM me your recipe? I'm getting ready to play around with some makes in my newly refinished basement

• Locked thread