Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've had to cut back on cheese purchases lately so I usually get whatever looks good in the Costco cheese section. Coastal and Dubliner most of the time, Bergenost or smoked Gouda occasionally. I like a good Double Gloucester too. Cambozola makes a fantastic hot turkey sandwich. Camembert roasted with garlic, rosemary and olive oil is an indulgent sauce for pasta.

When I want a treat I'll get something local from Mt. Townsend Creamery. I think they still have a shop in the Pike Place Market. My favorites are the Seastack, a soft cheese rolled in vegetable ashes, and Camp Fire which is a monterrey jack-style smoked with applewood and red alder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Affably Evil posted:

I'm looking for a particular cheese that I had at a dinner party a while ago, I was stupid and forgot to remember the name. :/

The meal was a really simple pasta dish with spinach and no sauce, but it was served with a cheese similar to brie that had been baked in its rind. It got very runny and each person scooped some over the pasta. It was AMAZING. What kind of cheese would work well for this? I remember it being stronger than brie but not overwhelming for the amount we scooped. (Which was a lot. I like cheese.)

Probably Camembert. I'll cut the top off and smear on a few minced garlic cloves and rosemary with a bit of olive oil, then bake until runny.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

graybook posted:

The former is a double Gloucester with chives and onions in it; the latter, a double cream with a fair bit of kick on its own, with the garlic and herbs adding a lot more flavour. I enjoyed both of them.

If I want to explore more Brie-like cheeses, what would y'all recommend? I've had... Port Salut, Saint-Honoré, Délice de Bourgogne, and a few others whose names I can't recall.

Costco has a Double Gloucester with chives and spring onions. The first brick I got was incredible. The second one seemed... foamy? in texture and not as good.

Camembert is very similar to Brie with just a little more assertive flavor. Cambozola is another one similar to Brie but with a blue cheese component.

• Locked thread