Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WD40
Nov 25, 2005

I see a lot of horrible stuff being called 'Cheddar'. Bear in mind that Cheddar is a place in England, real Cheddar comes from there and doesn't at all resemble the various plastic abominations you call Cheddar cheese in the US. For real Cheddar, import anything labelled 'West Country Farmhouse Cheddar' from the UK

As far as good cheese goes, I urge all of you to try Roquefort:

It's made from unpasteurised Ewe's milk and is matured in specific French caves, where it's colonised by a unique strain of Penicillium Roqueforti which naturally grows there. It has a very strong, sharp flavour with a heavy umami (glutamate) taste. The blue veins are tangy and delicious and complement the creaminess of the cheese perfectly. The outside can't really be called rind at all, is edible and has a slight salty crunch. It's my favourite cheese.

You should also try Comte:

This is a fantastic cheese made from unpasteurised Cow's milk. It has a strong nutty flavour like Emmental on its own, but hwere it really shines is melted, either in a grilled cheese sandwich or in fondue. I had it once at a market stall, melted straight from the wheel and served on breadsticks. It was absolutely out of this world, one of the best flavours I've ever tasted. You owe it to yourselves to eat melted Comte cheese at least once.

WD40 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

Woah, thanks to whoever suggested Epoisses. I managed to find some at a specialty shop, after trying without success to locate some at supermarkets.

Holy poo poo. It's really good. Someone described it as like Camembert falling in with the wrong crowd. I'd say it's like French-kissing the goddess Venus at a party after she's drank a bottle of brandy. It looks so bad for you, like it can kill you in many different ways. But it also knows that you want it in your mouth, you dirty slut. Go on, go buy some. You know you want to. Yeah. Just like that. Mmm.

Sorry. I really like this cheese. Oh god, look at it dripping everywhere. gently caress.

• Locked thread