Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
To their fanbase every single new MMO is the WoW Killer until it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Psykmoe posted:

Or is the whole WoW-killer narrative just par for the course for any new MMO's forum? The last one I got in on the ground floor (closed beta etc) with was CoH and obviously 'WoW-killer' wasn't a thing yet so I'm genuinely curious.
It must be just par, I am not feeling the level of hype that name entails. Even their own forum looks like a pretty small community to me to be honest.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Maxmaps posted:

To their fanbase every single new MMO is the WoW Killer until it isn't.

Then again, every MMO that can keep its doors open is a WoW killer as they slowly whittle down its userbase.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

a cat on an apple posted:

I wish I had so few monetary issues that the very idea of someone being poor were appalling to me.

Yeah, no kidding. I believe it was one of the CREDD threads where I said that CREDD is good because sometimes being in a minimum wage job, that $15 can go to something better, and that person may have the in-game money to buy CREDD in game but not necessarily have the money IRL to maintain a subscription and replies boiled down to "If they can't afford the game then why play?", "If theyre so poor how did they get a computer?", or "How did they get the game if they are poor?"

It's amazing how much people shame others based on income. Be it intentionally or unintentionally. Unintentionally is certainly a gently caress of a lot worse, though.

CrashCat posted:

It must be just par, I am not feeling the level of hype that name entails. Even their own forum looks like a pretty small community to me to be honest.

It is a rather small community, as far as the numbers of people who seem to post. It won't ever stop the "is X the WoW killer?" posts, unfortunately. To that forums credit though, most of the posts seemed to say the OP was a jackass for asking.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
If your income doesn't clear a certain bar you should be spending 100% of your waking time working, bettering yourself or looking for an extra job. Entertainment is a luxury :colbert:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
e: ^ I firmly believe that entertainment and recreation are an important part of mental well-being, which for me is more important than physical well-being. If I weren't financially secure, I probably wouldn't be paying for a subscription service, but I don't necessarily discriminate anyone that would since the difference of $15 can easily come down to living off of ramen/rice for a week or two instead of slightly better foods.

-

It's hard to be a WoW-killer when the other side entails calling the MMO a WoW rip-off and not giving it a chance to improve after what's almost necessarily going to be a rocky launch.

I mean, WildStar's not even launched yet and just look at how abrasive the cries can be, at times.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 8, 2014

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So now that they announced that guild and name reservations will be available what faction and server are goons playing on come release?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

tonic316 posted:

So now that they announced that guild and name reservations will be available what faction and server are goons playing on come release?

That's a great question.

Should there be a new thread, with a (informal) poll about faction, and server? Since this one is a bit long now

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

We probably should make a new thread for open beta and launch, since now anyone can just try the game without hunting down a key and we'll need to organize where we'll go.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Iron Tusk posted:

Then again, every MMO that can keep its doors open is a WoW killer as they slowly whittle down its userbase.

I'm sure WoW is feeling the pain now that they are down to a paltry nine million subscriptions,.

Every MMO that had come out since WoW had released has had the hype that it will take down WoW. Off the top of my head:

Rift
Conan
Star Wars TOR
Warhammer
Guild Wars 2

WoW is a fluke in how popular it is, not the norm.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Bauxite posted:

We probably should make a new thread for open beta and launch, since now anyone can just try the game without hunting down a key and we'll need to organize where we'll go.

Well, does anyone want to take a stab at it? Not that it's really hard, I don't think a *whole* lot is different gameplay wise from when this OP was made.

Though I suppose if no one else wants to I will

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I can probably polish the OP and redo it tomorrow while I'm at work

Also maybe make a strawpoll for factions and then server once the launch list is out.

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013
If it's not too much trouble, could you include an EU poll, too? I'm not sure how many players we get so early into the games lifespan, but it would be nice if there was a place for people to go down the road.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

NormenKD posted:

If it's not too much trouble, could you include an EU poll, too? I'm not sure how many players we get so early into the games lifespan, but it would be nice if there was a place for people to go down the road.

Will do.

Any suggestions on thread titles since I'm an unfunny gently caress?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Doublestep posted:

Will do.

Any suggestions on thread titles since I'm an unfunny gently caress?

Not my idea, but something that incorporates this:

Maxmaps posted:

all players in the nearby area pull out smartphones and start screaming 'WILDSTAAAAAAR!'?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
How about "Wildstar - Open Beta Begins May 8" or is that too edgy

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Soothing Vapors posted:

How about "Wildstar - Open Beta Begins May 8" or is that too edgy

Too edgy would be Wildstar: The Bears Will Beat The Packers For The 2014 Superbowl.

Or that's too long, and well, hopeless. :dawkins101:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Wildstar: More Like WoWstar

I did good, right???

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
WildStar: Everything is a 40-man raid

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Fooma posted:

Guild tags are displayed in name plates by default right?

"Customer Support"

or some derivation thereof.

Off the top of my head:

Everything is Goon
Awful Industries
Goon Squad

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

badr posted:

Off the top of my head:

Everything is Goon
Awful Industries
Goon Squad

Wildgoonz

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I just feel like we're missing an opportunity if we don't call it something like WildStarHipHop.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

jabro posted:

Wildgoonz

Worst.

How about :
Original Posters - OP for the tag.

Yeah I know mine is bad, but it's not as bad as yours.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ModeSix posted:

Worst.

How about :
Original Posters - OP for the tag.

Yeah I know mine is bad, but it's not as bad as yours.

I think you are underestimating the awesomeness of my guild name idea.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

jabro posted:

I think you are underestimating the awesomeness of my guild name idea.

Why not go with something classy like Goons Gone Wild?

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 8, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

badr posted:

Off the top of my head:

Everything is Goon
Awful Industries
Goon Squad
more unfunny names

Creeping CREDD
Aurin You Tired Of Us
Chua On This
Awfully Goonsettling
Goon cAMP
Yablonski's Used Mounts
Die Vendor (in honor of the costume debacle and a 'dye vendor' in Gallow that doesn't actually sell anything)
Wabbit Season
Goontaro
Bad Rats

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

We'd even have a real life mascot:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Raid Killed The WildStar

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Lawlicaust posted:

Raid Killed The WildStar

oh poo poo.

This should be the title, I think!

dreffen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 8, 2014

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Lawlicaust posted:

Raid Killed The WildStar

Casuals killed the Raidingstar?

Yes? No? No. Oh, ok. :dawkins101:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

dreffen posted:

oh poo poo.

This should be the title, I think!

Yeah, I'm digging this

I got really bored so I'm actually doing the OP while waiting for some poo poo right now. It's mostly just adding the devspeak videos since most of the info is already there.

Should be done tonightish if I don't :spergin: on some section

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 8, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Shame the title isn't going to suggest the open beta, to you know, get more people interested in it. Just saying.

Will the level cap for the week still be 25?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I don't think it matters, people are going to know about the open beta and if they're goons, will check out the thread.

Level cap is 30 for this test.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

PvP Server or :frogout:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

For the goon guild: Way to Goon, Cupcake

For the thread: Wildstar: Arguing about every other MMO ITT

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Just call it "WoW is better". The guild, I mean.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Doublestep: http://m.imgur.com/a/fe62R server names for the strawpoll

Supposedly. I'm on a phone and it's hard to check

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Bauxite posted:

For the goon guild: Way to Goon, Cupcake

For the thread: Wildstar: Arguing about every other MMO ITT

If I could emptyquote I would.

Pergo for server, but I'm rolling there regardless of where goons go so disregard this post.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
That was fast. US polls added to the second post on the other thread. Gonna leave PvE/PvP polls just in case server names still change.

Get over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632435

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
I'm not really seeing the allure of PvP servers on Wildstar. The PvP servers will probably have a lower population, the auction house is separated by faction, and your account will also be locked into a faction (no other faction alts).

And for what? PvP flags set to always on.

Is that it? Is there something that I'm missing (for serious).

• Locked thread