Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dominic White posted:

Polygon are a bit over-enthusiastic about everything, but they're also one of a handful of sites that are effectively independent of the advertising cycle that leads to so many places being accused of shilling or selling out. RPS is another site where they basically get to write whatever they want while ads are just incidental and not related to the content at all.

Editorial freedom + glowing review is probably a good sign, then.

I usually trust Eurogamer because they aren't afraid to give low scores to popular things and their review writing is really good.

While I feel that the number they gave was in congruent to the review they wrote, they had some pretty good things to say about Tomb Raider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
As long as this doesn't turn in to an Aliens: Colonial Marines I am happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ronnie posted:

As long as this doesn't turn in to an Aliens: Colonial Marines I am happy.

I'm pretty sure it isn't going to end up at 4.5 on Metacritic based on current reviews.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone else find it strange that the graphics don't get considerable mention in the reviews, nor are there really any comparisons between the PS3 and 360 versions. Am I just missing something?

Having both consoles but no PC, I kind of wonder which one to get...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone else find it strange that the graphics don't get considerable mention in the reviews, nor are there really any comparisons between the PS3 and 360 versions. Am I just missing something?

Having both consoles but no PC, I kind of wonder which one to get...

Likewise, I just got a gaming PC for the first time ever and own both consoles. So buying games now is like shopping for a new car.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Excerpt from the Eurogamer review (which I highly recommend reading):

quote:

The multitude of menus via which the objects are curated don't help, and nor do the endless onscreen messages. It's hard to get about excited about "2 OF 3 CEREMONIAL FANS FOUND!", no matter how that sentence is capitalised or punctuated. I am not ashamed to reveal that my final tally reads "0% VASES". (Although I am proud to have managed "67% KANPO HERBS".)

It's plausible there are players out there who can indeed be bothered to crack open every crate. And it is possible to complete the game while skipping the collecting business. But the sheer volume of stuff makes it hard to ignore, and so it becomes an annoying distraction.
Stuff like this is something I really hate in modern games. I don't want to be bothered by a bunch of meaningless collectables. To me they only break up the pace and throws immersion out the window. It makes the game feel too much like a video game. So I'm wondering if anybody has the game, or otherwise knows if it's possible to turn of these notifications? If so, I'll probably pick it up real soon, if not, I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY edtion with all the DLC at half price same time next year.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Likewise, I just got a gaming PC for the first time ever and own both consoles. So buying games now is like shopping for a new car.

All the screenshots seem to be of the PC version, which looks far and away prettier than the PS3/360 editions. Seems to be one of those games where the PC was the main development platform and the console versions are toned down until they hit a stable framerate.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Man these early reviews just make me want the game to be released now :(

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I predicted awesomeness and it seems to deliver. Pre-Order redeemed!

I just love acrobatic / exploration games. I can tolerate the shooty bits if I get to the former. Price of Persia series and Tomb Raider are my two favorite games series.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Hizawk posted:

I predicted awesomeness and it seems to deliver. Pre-Order redeemed!

I just love acrobatic / exploration games. I can tolerate the shooty bits if I get to the former. Price of Persia series and Tomb Raider are my two favorite games series.

Yeah, it just a shame that the shooty bits take up so much of the game that its looks like they are going back to the "Lara the killer" model. The gametrailers.com review really drives home just how violent of a killer Lara can get: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/7zar52/tomb-raider-review

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I usually never complain about Polygon's style for their reviews but goddamn, the formatting on the Tomb Raider review is loving terrible!

The game looks cool and the Eurogamer review pretty much confirms a bunch of things I knew that were going to happen (intense cutscenes that lara just killed someone, to then going on to kill a bunch of dudes with a gun). Its pretty hard to make a game make you feel bad about killing someone when you are constantly killing them (unless you go the Spec Ops route).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

The game looks cool and the Eurogamer review pretty much confirms a bunch of things I knew that were going to happen (intense cutscenes that lara just killed someone, to then going on to kill a bunch of dudes with a gun). Its pretty hard to make a game make you feel bad about killing someone when you are constantly killing them (unless you go the Spec Ops route).

The thing is that this is meant to be the origin story of Lara Croft. By the end of it, this is a character that can gleefully cut through a dozen men and several endangered species' on a mission to recover some ancient (probably cursed) object from a long-forgotten tomb. That has always been her nature, and I expect it always will be. She's a videogame heroine first and foremost.

It might make you feel bad about all the killing at first, but this is a Tomb Raider game after all.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

BexGu posted:

Yeah, it just a shame that the shooty bits take up so much of the game that its looks like they are going back to the "Lara the killer" model. The gametrailers.com review really drives home just how violent of a killer Lara can get: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/7zar52/tomb-raider-review

She was a bit of a lunatic in the original concept art too.

http://www.croftgeneration.com/imagenes/galeria/concept_art/TR1/bigimages/Concept_Art_TR1_005.jpg

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dominic White posted:

The thing is that this is meant to be the origin story of Lara Croft. By the end of it, this is a character that can gleefully cut through a dozen men and several endangered species' on a mission to recover some ancient (probably cursed) object from a long-forgotten tomb. That has always been her nature, and I expect it always will be. She's a videogame heroine first and foremost.

It might make you feel bad about all the killing at first, but this is a Tomb Raider game after all.

Don't know about the original first game, but the remake had Lara make a big deal about how she's never killed a human before and there's a big buildup to her finally deciding she can do it. So, retcons I guess?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't know about the original first game, but the remake had Lara make a big deal about how she's never killed a human before and there's a big buildup to her finally deciding she can do it. So, retcons I guess?

I don't think the new game is even meant to be part of the same continuity.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Pretty much.

I think this series has had two of these, one the original series which was rebooted with Legends (and Anniversary) and now with this new one.

I still feel Legends - Anniversary - Underworld had a lot of potential still, but I kinda like the direction this one was going, at least before all the gore stuff.

My favorite thing about the first Tomb Raider was how few people you had to kill. This game seems to gorge on murder/death, which is a bit distressing to see. It doesn't completely turn me off from the game, but it feels like it is hampering its own potential by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
One of the things I enjoyed the most about the older tomb raider games was the sense of isolation. The games were very surreal and I enjoyed that particular flavour enormously - the slightly slow pace as you wandered around these vast byzantine edifices with relatively little interaction other than animals.

I am hoping the sequel to this game will place a greater emphasis on that, although it seems to be not really a genre that exists any more.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, in Legend, which is part of the Anniversary canon, Lara's origin involves a plane crash with her mother in the mountains as a young girl, so this is an entirely different continuity.

And yeah, the focus on killin' and violence is a bummer, but I guess you can't make AAA games that give you that isolated feeling anymore.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 25, 2013

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Is there anywhere cheap you can pick this up from as a pre-order? You goons are good at finding deals, and I'm pretty sure I want to nab this on Steam or at least for PC, so I can add it to my Steam library.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Based on those videos, I just hope to Christ you can turn off all the annoying HUD poo poo. 'Expert Killer Bonus +++ Ur Awesome + 5000 Dick Points!' That poo poo is going to get old quick.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BexGu posted:

It also gives away the money-shots for most of the more emotional early cutscenes.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

My favorite thing about the first Tomb Raider was how few people you had to kill. This game seems to gorge on murder/death, which is a bit distressing to see. It doesn't completely turn me off from the game, but it feels like it is hampering its own potential by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

This is exactly what is turning me away from this. I loved the original game because it was based on exploration of interesting and perilous environments. An hour of the sequel turned me off from the series and I never came back; I really want to with this game but all the shootin dudes reviews are making me wary enough to wait.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Based on those videos, I just hope to Christ you can turn off all the annoying HUD poo poo. 'Expert Killer Bonus +++ Ur Awesome + 5000 Dick Points!' That poo poo is going to get old quick.

Going off of Eurogamer's review, you cannot.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
gently caress I hated wolf QTEs in Assassins Creed 3 and this game requires me to link 5 loving things together? Wiggle the stick! Now tap the button! Now time the button! Wiggle the stick! Time the button again!

The game looks pretty good to me otherwise but why don't QTEs just loving die. :negative:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

These days I have to limit myself to rentals rather than purchases (the aforementioned Aliens Colonial Marines means I can't ever trust sixty bucks to a preorder ever again) but I think this will certainly be worth the rental.

I'm getting a sort of tangential Far Cry 3 vibe from this, from the gathering-stuff scenes. There it was mostly for one-time upgrades or chems, here it looks more involved.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Speedball posted:

These days I have to limit myself to rentals rather than purchases (the aforementioned Aliens Colonial Marines means I can't ever trust sixty bucks to a preorder ever again) but I think this will certainly be worth the rental.

I'm getting a sort of tangential Far Cry 3 vibe from this, from the gathering-stuff scenes. There it was mostly for one-time upgrades or chems, here it looks more involved.

Yeah, I basically hope it's Far Cry 3 but with better and more diverse areas to explore, and some cool platforming. Shooting dudes is A-OK with me, as long as it means getting to find secrets.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I saw three hour stream a few days ago and it's nothing like Far Cry 3. Uncharted's combat/platforming + Batman Arkham Asylum's exploration is a closer description. There's almost no point in gathering from plants or hunting animals beyond experience that you get from killing enemies or completing challenges. Basically, the gameplay itself is linear, but almost every area seems to be large and encourage exploration once you're done with it just like Arkham Asylum, including coming back later (which you do by using fast travel in camps, it's not an open world game like Skyrim/Far Cry 3) with better equipment to access areas with collectibles.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, that's even better! I appreciate a good 3D Metroidvania.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DangerKat posted:

Going off of Eurogamer's review, you cannot.

Well, I'm getting it on the PC so hopefully there's a quick mod fix, like with what happened to Far Cry 3.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Here's Conan O'Brien review:
http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I laughed a lot at "That's not her first piercing.

Pretty tantalizing preview, I've actually avoided most previews for fear of spoilers and/or too-high expectations. That...whatever it was that she woke up in...was amazing.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Pro click right here. I find conan to be unfunny but this one video was hilarious.

Not a review though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pau posted:

Pro click right here. I find conan to be unfunny but this one video was hilarious.

Not a review though.

Did you not see the review score at the end there? Thats right. :colbert:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Pau posted:

Yeah, Clueless Gamer is really funny. The guy should do a let's play.

My favorite part is when O'Brien and all the audience repeatedly gasps at the impale death scene. Saw it gifed in this thread and instantly thought that's the reaction most people would have. This new TR looks good but some of the violence is really over the top. Even some zombie games don't have that much of gore. And yeah, I played the first one in 1996.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think his summary is pretty apt for why I still play video games.

"It's just like high school all over again."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Did you not see the review score at the end there? Thats right. :colbert:

Yeah, that's probably my favourite part of these videos. His review scores are just as meaningful as actual review scores!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Conan gets very distressed whenever Lara got her neck impaled by the wooden spikes in the river scene . "No no no no no no no!"

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Hysterical. Clueless gamer is a pretty good series in general. He did a good job with Hitman: Absolution, Minecraft and Skyrim, but this is probably the best one yet.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
As per the Polygon review:

""It's a near-perfect embodiment of the age of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 with a hint of what to expect next."

I'm sorry, we're talking about Tomb Raider here, right? There's no words for how shocked I am to see outlets talking about this thing with "Game of the Year" style language. Might actually pick this one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You know what I already like about this game? A loving worldwide release on a tuesday. Turns out it's extremely convenient for the consumer that you don't arbitrarily restrict a digital download for half the globe!

• Locked thread