Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm about 75% through the game, and I'm getting a bit burnt out on the combat. It's well done, but the middle part of the game just has a bit too much of it, and it'd be nice to have more areas to just run around in and parkour around and solve puzzles and whatnot, without having to worry about bad guys. It's a good game, but a bit too heavy on the shooting, I find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I felt this was like a easier Uncharted game but the melee in Uncharted made that one better at combat. This one did have better platform mechanics in a open world and I wish they would have taken advantage of that more.

Yeah, that's one thing that was really neat about TR: there's often two or three different routes you can take to get somewhere.

I finished it yesterday and boy, combat really starts to grate when you're fighting lots of melee dudes (dodge attack, dodge attack, dodge attack, get a shot off if you're lucky and you don't auto-aim to the other side of the screen, ...). Fun game, but it needs more exploration and less monotonous combat against way too many baddies.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 13, 2013

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I've seen a lot of people talking about "ludonarrative dissonance" lately in relation to games protagonists and their respective body counts, so I'm hoping this next generation will feature more action games where the hero hasn't personally killed more people than tectonic activity. Tomb Raider at least pays lip service to that in this version, but it does puncture any narrative when the protagonist kills hundreds of people over the course of a day.

You should check out the horrible rants they had in the middle of this thread about that.

The game could've done with less fighting, but at least the fighting they had was pretty well done. The cover mechanics, in particular, felt really smooth and enjoyable (contrary to many games where you're velcroed to the wall). And I loved little animation details like Lara brushing her hand along a wall when she's walking by close enough, not to mention beautiful graphics and some awesome set pieces (the whaler on the cable lift!). Far from perfect, but a really good game that's got me excited about the inevitable sequel (that'll hopefully have more tombs and more realistic enemy numbers).

• Locked thread