Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
I can't wait to see how they follow this up with TR2, especially if they skip ahead a bit to a seasoned Lara ala original Tomb Raider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah I love the old TRs and have been replaying them lately, but most of the 'actual chance I'll fail' in many of the puzzles is just falling, especially in 1 and 2. They put the puzzle atop a series of ledges, and without modern TR's generous grab system a lot of the challenge is positioning and navigation with the stiff control system. Also as the thread title suggests, no one liked how slowly Lara pushed those dang blocks.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Funny enough, in the original Tomb Raider, her actual human body count was 4 people total. That and a shitload of animals.

That didn't last though. In Tomb Raider 2 she kills throngs of dudes in Venice, the Oil Rig, Tibet, she murders like 20 dudes with a shotgun in her mansion in the final level. In Tomb Raider 3 she kills most of the soldiers in Area 51, piles of London Underground cultists, a whole mine of workers, a ton of South Pacific blowdart-shooting tribesmen, etc.

She's always been pretty cocky with her guns. Check out the cutscenes from confronting Larson in TR1 or the dudes in India in TR3, I think she has to have shed some blood in her youth to be cold like that when she's about to kill someone.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

quaunaut posted:

I've always found that argument about "power fantasies" to be particularly vacuous.

What players want, is to see an effect based on their input. It's incredibly important- so much so that when you hear a talk from any designer at Valve, it's one of the top things they talk about in terms of gameplay design.

It's not that we're only into power fantasies- if it was, then Minecraft wouldn't have sold like mad. Dark Souls wouldn't have sold like mad. The Walking Dead wouldn't have sold like mad.

I agree with you, but I would consider those all power fantasies in a way. You get to be the special soul that becomes strong enough to kill the demons. You are one of the sole important survivors of the human race. You are the all controlling god of a large scale sandbox.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

quaunaut posted:

If you're gonna run with this, literally everything ever is a power fantasy, unless someone makes a game about getting cuckolded.

Well, yeah. Games are escapism. Outside Tetris and, I dunno, Heavy Rain most games are around letting you be someone you can't be in real life and defeating your obstacles. Power fantasy is just a term, it doesn't mean it has to specifically be revenge or female empowerment or whatever. I just consider it a broad concept that puts someone without those abilities (the gamer) in a position to win with them. Not "literally everything" but most modern games. See also comic books, Harry Potter, Twilight, Dragonball, 24... Just my opinion.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

quaunaut posted:

I'll add that in Tetris, it's up to you to make sure the puzzle arena doesn't get overwhelmed! And for Heavy Rain, only you can solve the mystery of the origami killer!

No need to be condescending pricks about it. I don't think it applies to everything as I already said, but I think games are generally power fantasies. You guys think differently, I was just responding to the guy saying "obviously games that aren't power fantasies, see [these examples]" which I disagreed with. I feel like I made my point reasonably. I don't think those games (Tetris, HR) are power fantasies. I think most games are. I'm sorry this offends you. I don't really care whether game X is a power fantasy or not, I was just sharing my opinion about your mention of DkS and Minecraft. I'm not alone in this, if that makes you less smug about it:
http://bitmob.com/articles/the-minecraft-power-fantasy
http://ettugamer.com/2013/01/29/the-stock-of-games/

I'll drop it now as I'm sure this line of discussion is banal enough for all involved.

I hope the next TR game has puzzles beyond setting things on fire and playing weight puzzles like Half Life 2. These tombs are getting old, they're all very similar so far. I think I just finished the 5th one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Paino posted:

A little late to the party, but TR3 was the Dark Souls of Tomb Raiders.

Its predecessor was also difficult at times, but 3 was just brutal. The save system forced you to play the same way you would have in a Dark Souls game, because death obviously had consequences. I'm pretty sure I avoided certain places when I didn't feel they were safe enough for me to look around. Isn't it just wonderful when a video-game has you reasoning like that?

When it came out in 1998 most magazines gave that game rave reviews and it's still considered the best in the series by some. Lucky for us, we now have adventure games like AC where running, jumping, climbing and swimming are all context sensitive, and all controlled by the same one button. Video-game design sure has gone places in these last 15 years. The feeling of discovery and adventure is more electrifying than ever!

Yeah, I think the first 3 games follow an interesting progression.

TR is pretty pure, mostly animals and "tomb-y" puzzles like boulder traps. On the PS1 you could only save at predetermined points, which is rough now but was pretty standard at the time. You could save as much as you wanted though.

TR2 had some tombs but a lot more human influence, in the enemies and levels. More buildings and machinery, more doors and switches that are electronic, more military weaponry and action. You could save anywhere too. I think combat in TR2 got quite a bit harder with the addition of gun-toting enemies and more combat in hazardous areas (like cliffs, near pools) vs. TR1's more room-oriented designs in many tombs.

TR3 indeed got really tough. They introduced sprinting and crouching which introduced a lot of brutally-timed puzzles where you had to outsprint boulders or moving spike walls or roll through flames, even in the first level. It didn't help that the very first level starts with a giant hill with several instant-death traps on the way down, and quicksand and piranha-infested rivers across the rest of the level. You collected save crystals so you could save anytime, but you had to use items. The devs claimed it was a blend of TR1 and 2, but it ended up being tough because the save crystals were pretty limited, especially as the game got harder later on.

I think they increasingly had trial-and-error areas as the series went on, which got frustrating when you hadn't saved for an hour or two. Several hubs like the London subway were just f'ing hard in general, with obtuse layouts and unclear puzzle item interactions and random subway trains to run you over. Not to mention secrets you'd never find without a guide.

The levels definitely got amazing though. In one single level in TR3 you break out of an Area 51 cell, evade laser-trapped air ducts, launch a (full size) space rocket, climb into a UFO with dissected aliens around it, and swim in a huge water tank with giant orcas. TR1 had maybe one moment like that per level, if that. TR2 had some awesome scenery but I don't think I ever beat that Tibet level with the snowmobile jump across the chasm, jumps got sort of arbitary and hard at a lot of parts of that. Navigating Lara on the "grid" in those old days was like manipulating a chess piece at times.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, it might be tough to make "compelling" since Lara is so capable in the new combat engine, but going back to the days of less humans and more wolf packs/bears/crocs/pumas/gorillas would be cool with me. Hard to reconcile that with her being a master archer though, unless you make the animals crazy fast and scary like when bears get the jump on you in Red Dead.

The combat scenarios would be differentiated from Uncharted for me better if you weren't against beings shooting at you while you hide behind a wall though, but I guess that fits the older flippy autoaim shooting of the old TR games better.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think stealth sections done well, i.e. not an obvious "if you kill them in this order by going here then here then here as we've arranged, it's easy" are definitely more memorable/compelling than 5 guys dropping into an area from a window and shooting at you.

The feeling of "if I gently caress this up I'll get killed very quickly" is a nice tension, but can easily be annoying if you're too easily spotted/enemies are too easily alerted/the checkpoints are poor, but they could pull it off.

Ideally for me mix the things together - a bear attacks, you run into a nearby tree, use some means to drive the bear down to the enemy humans around their campfire, watch some maulings, sneak by the camp unmolested. Then you raid some tombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I hope you fight a big golden fire-breathing dragon at the end.

• Locked thread