Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Love this game so far. Love how open the areas feel even if they ARE pretty linear - tons of hidden stuff and areas! Lara's VA is awful and my computer can barely run the game and if I turn hair detail to max the cutscenes slow down to a crawl but I don't even care - after putting it at max I couldn't go back to the old look. It's funny how some people are saying Tomb Raider tries to be Uncharted and failing. I would LOVE it if Uncharted tried to be more like Tomb Raider. Speaking of Uncharted - I'm pretty sure I heard Nolan North as the voice of some random enemy which made me laugh. It was also pretty hilarious how *spoilers for the first hour or so* five minutes after the infamous scene with the Russian guy who tries to strangle Lara she's already killed like a dozen guys. I definitely see some traces of old Lara in her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Does anyone know if there is some graphic option that steals a lot of resources without making much of a difference?
I can run the game on the "Normal" setting but it's pretty sluggish on my computer but I don't want to loose too much detail...
I have a AMD X4 3,20GHz CPU and a Geforce GTX 460 GPU and 4 gigs of RAM.

edit: Hope NVIDIA releases some new drivers soon. They are usually pretty quick and the new drivers usually make quite a difference!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 5, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
*spoiler images*

Couldn't even wait a day, could you :argh:
Eh it's cool. Nothing mayor and nothing I didn't expect after the first few hours. You should remove the three last ones, though.

sebmojo posted:

That's my system and I'm going at about 40-50 fps. I turned shadows down from ultra to normal (and maybe hair to low?)that made things much smoother. Experiment with the benchmark tool in options, it's actually very good.

Also, Nvidia does have some beta drivers so you could download them - look in 'beta and legacy' on the nvidia site.

Cool, thanks! I'm stubbornly refusing to put the hair option to anything below max, though. I tried it out once and couldn't go
back to the lifeless lump of the other settings. I did try lowering it and didn't notice much difference, though. I'll try experimenting
with the shadows!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 5, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, I admit defeat. Putting the hair setting on Normal put me at 59FPS instead of 30FPS. I really enjoyed the hair physics, though :/

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
"Oh! A bunch of guys are shooting at me from a building on top of the falls! I guess I'll just attach a rope to the building and TEAR IT DOWN WITH MY BARE HANDS!" "A locked door? Just attach a rope and pull it off its hinges!"

Lara is a god-drat superhuman and it's awesome.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was pretty drat sure the game would pull a "the Line" and considering the "Innocent Lara" thing and the skills Lara acquires. At the start of the game most of the skills are focused on "survival" - skills that make you gain more XP or material. After you've leveled up enough skills, you start getting some more offensive skills, like the arrow counter. By that point in the game, Lara has acquired more weapons and some nasty tricks like rope pulling and fire arrows. And by the end of the game, almost half of the new unlockable skills are straight-up executions.. I was completely certain the game would comment in some way on the normalization of violence in media or at least try to show how all the killing changes Lara to the core.

I was pretty disappointed that the game pretty much side-stepped the issue of Lara becoming a desensitized killer and instead went for the safer route and turned her into an action hero. Don't get me wrong, her attitude does change throughout the game and is reflected in her dialogue in cut-scenes and fights. It's just that I think the developers missed an opportunity here. I would have been completely fine with the violence and the generally dark and nasty atmosphere like the monastery or the caves where you have to wade through the river of blood if the game went all the way with it. As it is now the game is a little weird, tone-wise. The story is a pretty basic "ordinary person must become an action hero to save her friends and uncover the secret of the island" adventure story, but the sometimes grotesque environments and truly brutal violence are less "adventure" and more "horror-thriller". This unbalance hurts the game, and for the next one, they should either write a darker story, or tone down the violence and grime. Either way is fine with me.

Regardless of this, I loved the game. Lots of things to explore, the combat is kinetic and intense and never got old (love the dodging mechanic), and the outdoor areas are really pretty and large. The game didn't rely too much on big setpieces (unlike Uncharted) but the ones we got are awesome. My favorites are the climb up the radio tower, and the insane fight on the suspended boat (on the way to the beach). The tombs were a little small and basic, but still nice distractions. Hopefully the next one expands on the puzzle solving aspect. I did enjoy the combat (it's less Uncharted and more like a really polished and fun Resident Evil) but for me, the exploration and puzzle-solving are the most important. I've found every little secret item and I usually don't bother with that stuff!

All in all, this game blows most third-person action games out of the water and I'm looking forward to what they come up with next. Hopefully they will iron out the uneven story and create more puzzles!

EDIT: Loved the reference to the older games at the end, and Lara's last line.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 23, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yodzilla posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the mounted machine gun sequence didn't end with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZeDq4Yo6Jk#t=40s

I'm pretty sure the developers had that movie in mind but things can't be go too smoothly for Lara, now can they? I like the scene the way it is, though. I actually burst out laughing when she started turning the MG. That's just overkill!

By the way, I haven't been able to play the MP for days. I get a message that says the servers can't be reached, but I can't imagine they'd be down for this long. Does anyone else have this problem?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's pretty fun reading the global achievements list (PC). 8.8% of every player have gotten every doodad but only 0,4% have the chatterbox trophy.
42.5% have finished the game which is a pretty high percentage. I'm pretty surprised even 1% have gotten the "Get over here achievement - it's hard as hell to do right and there's never any real reason to ever use that ability when you can just shoot the bad guys instead.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I still can't access MP. I can't even reach the submeny, it just tells me the TR servers are unavailable. Does anyone else have this problem? I could play it pre-patch, but I can't seem to find anyone else with the same problem.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DrNutt posted:

It should be a criminal offense for game developers to put xp and upgradable skills/weapons in games and not include a new game plus. There's something so cathartic about rolling through a game again as an unstoppable badass with the best weapons and unlocks. Bonus points for offering alternate costume unlocks.

I hope they fix this, or that someone creates a mod or something. I barely got to use my fully upgraded weapons!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Replaying the game is pretty hilarious, though. At the start Lara barely manages to pull herself up when hanging from edges, is deathly afraid when slooowly walking across chasms on a tree, and even lets "trivial" things like ice-cold rain and hunger bother her. The difference between early-game Lara and late-game Lara is enormous, and it's not just about her ability to murder people. It's honestly making me appreciate the game more! Love how expressive Lara is, too. They really manage to convey Lara's inner thoughts. "I need to do WHAT? ... OK, let's get this over with."

EDIT: And her first melee attack is a tackle.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 25, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah all of the characters are really good like that.

I'm really disappointed that Grim doesn't show up at some point kicking the poo poo out of some samurai or some such. His death was offscreen so you never know what really happened!

I was totally expecting that to happen and was very disappointed when it never did. They might be saving the surprise for the sequel, though...

EDIT: Wish they'd fixed the number of save-files earlier. Glad they fixed it, though!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 26, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Palpek posted:

I wanted to link it but...it disappeared :stare:

I swear it was there when I looked - something about a pilot and there was a crashed plane in the thumbnail. The only DLC I actually considered buying. And yeah the list shows 18 DLCs now and not 19. Welp.

EDIT: it does exist: http://store.steampowered.com/app/208812/

Not for US region I think.

Does anyone know how extensive the tomb is? For that price it had better be bigger than a single room.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Pretty boring costumes but it's nice to see her put a jacket on, at least.

EDIT: vvv It's a miracle the game has sold that much what with the lovely marketing. The MP is dead in the water, as well (I haven't been able to log on for weeks because of some problem that hasn't been fixed yet).

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

checkstock posted:

Around 4 years and considerable change in one incarnation or another.

It's certain they were freaked by the negative reactions after the first couple of demonstrations and trailers and
made some cuts to tone down the game. It's really obvious in the beginning of the game but the probably cut a bunch of stuff
later as well. I'm especially talking about the blonde woman who is a sacrifice, and Sam being kidnapped in front
of Lara (which made much more sense). The blonde and the DLC tomb are even in the unlockable concept art!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

They should fire their marketing department then. Both Hitman and Tomb Raider had disastrous campaigns, and I think Sleeping Dogs kind of fell under the radar.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I realize it isn't poor. I'm actually surprised they've sold that well. I've bought and enjoyed most games in the TB franchise (including this one) but I was seriously put off by the marketing. The only reason I pre-ordered was because I trusted Crystal Dynamics wouldn't gently caress it up.

You are right, though - with those sales figures I guess the marketing people did something right. Blaming the US side is a drat joke considering how badly they are managing their Japanese brands, with the possible exception of Dragon Quest.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You can buy Tomb Raider on the EU PSN store for £20 right now. That's a great price for anyone who hasn't picked it up yet.
I bought the PC version and I'm still considering buying it!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just beat the game for the second time, only this time I noticed that the boss on the Endurance carries a stuffed bunny doll just like the one you can find on Shipwreck Island. That, combined with the prisoner in the geothermal caverns who talks about his kids, made this game quite a bit creepier. I enjoy finding "hidden" stories like this, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wonder how many people who don't actually speak the language will still buy this because it "sounds better".

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yodzilla posted:

If they made single player DLC or some sort of challenge arena against waves of dudes I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

That, and a "story-based" co-op mission mode like in Uncharted would be awesome.

And bigger tombs, of course.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DeathChicken posted:

So here's what's probably a highly stupid question; what on earth do you do with that rope pillar in the Coastal Forest? Usually there would be something else nearby to attach a zip line with, or tugging on the rope pillar itself would do something, but...nope, nothing. I feel like I'm missing something very obvious.

There is a pole you can a attach a line to higher up, at the same spot you find a GPS tracker. It's pretty much completely unnecessary, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ya man I legitimately enjoyed my time with Tomb Raider. For 25 bucks, it's a fair price for what'll be about 10 or more hours of play time.

Try 40 hours! I've beaten it twice (100% completion on both difficulties) and played some MP. drat fine game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Don't forget to check the journal after beating the game!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

poptart_fairy posted:

Would absolutely kill for some sort of arena mode. The General's burial area was an absolutely amazing fight - constantly getting flushed out of cover so you couldn't camp, but it was designed in such a way that you always had something to fall back into and weren't unfairly exposed. It was brilliantly frantic.

What is this "cover" you speak of? I would charge into groups and hack most of them to death with the axe and finish off the survivors with the shotgun :black101: Loved the combat and I wish the sequel (if there is one) expands on the melee fighting. I'd love to be able to ambush them with melee attacks from above. The sand throwing mechanic was neat but completely useless and I hope they will still include a tweaked version. Sure, melee doesn't exactly sound "Tomb Raider" but whatever.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Here's a pretty interesting interview with the author where they touch on the subject. As usual, don't read the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ShineDog posted:

The story wasn't great itself, but the arc was well done. Going from scared and barely scraping by to COME ON THEN YOU BASTARDS by the end was fantastic.

I dont know much about it, but I'm worried by the therapy framing I've heard about for this one. It was pretty much core to the point of the reboot that Lara did not come out of that story broken, but standing triumphant.

In which way was the ending "triumphant"? The ending and final journal entry might not say "she's broken" but it's very clear she's a changed person after the fact, not necessarily for the better. You could argue that the experience was an eye-opener for her, though.

• Locked thread