Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BexGu posted:

Yeah, it just a shame that the shooty bits take up so much of the game that its looks like they are going back to the "Lara the killer" model. The gametrailers.com review really drives home just how violent of a killer Lara can get: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/7zar52/tomb-raider-review
It also gives away the money-shots for most of the more emotional early cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spalec posted:

Is there just the one, pre-canned animation for those bits? That's a shame. It's cool the first time but if those bits are difficult it will lose its appear seeing it for the 32nd time.
I was under the assumption that it'd be different depending on where you die and in what circumstance. It's not like it's going to show Lara getting impaled through the head in rushing water, every tie you fall off a cliff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I just traded in some games I don't want to play any more at Gamestop and got a 50% trade-in bonus to crediting toward a purchase (goes until 3/3), so I pre-ordered Tomb Raider. I have no idea what the bonuses are, and don't really care. I hope the game is good, and that the multiplayer is good for a few dozen hours.

I figure if one survival+exploration game can pay for the next, I can skin animals all year long.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I grew up on King's Quest and Dragon's Lair and the original Prince of Persia and stuff, so repeatedly horrifically impaling my protagonist on poo poo is really not a big deal to me at all - them's the breaks for loving up a section 20 times in a row.

As someone who as a kid who went to some of the first MacWorld expos and stuff though, back when multimedia games had just come out and Tomb Raider was a Big New Thing, the series always seemed skeevy as gently caress to me, even next to the booth with the Virtual Sex Doll Simulator programs at computer expos in 1991. I have never played a Tomb Raider game for more than a couple minutes, at someone else's behest. I simply detested the series and all the insulting poo poo it implied about people who played video games.

I hope that this gives Tomb Raider a shot in the arm, because the series has always offended me as a gamer, and I'd like to see it rebooted as something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to name-drop to a non-gamer friend.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mazed posted:

Dead Space and Resident Evil are clearly, unambiguously in the horror genre, is the thing. They're filled to the brim with grotesquery, but it's not a deal-breaker because it's thematically consistent.
They're both survival games, centering around dealing with the interface limitations, and resource management. I fail to see much of a difference between "survival" and "horror" in games anymore, which means they're fair game to compare the new TR to. Dead Space is arguably not either of those genres anymore, either.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mazed posted:

If the ending to this game is Lara gunning her way through a horde of nazi zombies, Crystal Dynamics will have created the most brilliant satire imaginable.
No, they're castaways and shipwrecked survivors who were brainwashed. BIG difference!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chillmatic posted:

Hey man I agree that that was an incredibly stupid thing for them to say, and I'm pretty sure the devs backtracked pretty quickly with that, for good reason. Everything I've seen since then has been the diametrical opposite of "yet another helpless female in gaming/literature".
Would've been easier to just have her find a stray dog on the island, if they wanted some emotional impact.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DrNutt posted:

I'm not the one who called her a "scared little girl," but the gameplay is at odds with the story and I'm glad you pointed it out!
I'm lost, which is the scared little girl part then, the story or the gameplay? The story is pretty much Far Cry 3 without the tattoos and sexing up a tribal priestess, from what I've seen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

biznatchio posted:

There's a considerable difference between a "little girl" and a "young woman".

Would you consider a 19 year old male protagonist a "little boy"?
Being 34, yeah I'd consider any 19 year old to still effectively be a child - especially in today's "helicopter parent" society..

I mean they basically just made Arkham Croft, Asylum Raider. Why not steal most of the origin story?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

poptart_fairy posted:

See, not to sound like a broken record here but if the "space marine white guy" was presented as young, scared and completely brutalized in the advertising I'd be similarly uncomfortable.
What if he was being sodomized by Buck from Far Cry 3?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dominic White posted:

You misunderstand me. I think it's a great thing. I'm one of those guys constantly being yelled at for being a 'white knight' or 'feminazi sympathizer' for having the nerve to suggest that women might want to have a say in this industry, or even just be considered as equals.
I thought you lived in the UK, not Mississippi. You really get yelled at?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dan Didio posted:

"There's so many doodads." - IGN.com
I keep hearing people mention how there are 23 kinds of collectibles in the game however, how many are there of each kind? 5? 10? 100?

That can be a vast difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

Hah, well that's the general idea with hair. Now we just need the computing power to make the noodles smaller and more numerous.
Ask and ye shall receive:

• Locked thread