Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I am actually pretty excited for this game because it looks like a gritter Uncharted, which I'm totally fine with. I was going to get this for the PS3 but I picked it up for cheap in SAMart.

Apparently they did say a while ago that the PC port will be pretty good. (Of course anyone can just say that) but yeah. I don't know how much of a role that a publisher might take in QAing PC ports, but Square Enix published Sleeping Dogs and the PC port for that came out pretty fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Reminds me of of those first Aeon Flux shorts where Aeon dies gruesomely in every episode. Pretty bizarre for a triple A Ubisoft title.

Tomb Raider isn't Ubisoft in this case, it's developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by SquareEnix.

Also the OP doesn't mention multiplayer, which this game will have. I don't know if there's anything special about it, but I imagine it's similar to Uncharted's MP. The multiplayer portion is being worked on by Eidos Montreal, the same guys who did Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RentCavalier posted:

Fair enough, I'll have to look for it. My Tomb Raider experience has been with the PS2 reboot (the one that everyone really liked, not the one everyone really hated) and with Anniversary on the PS3 and I've found both to be cumbersome to play, sporting awkward control schemes and really dodgy platforming, with confusing level design and a terrible camera.

Well, the PS2 one was alright, actually, it was just very boring. I swapped it for God of War and never looked back.

It's part of why I'm excited for the new one. The new one looks like it controls a bit better, and if all else fails, at least looks better. Although I'm sure it'll be fine in other aspects.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Attention Horse posted:

New video that explains some of the mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwBZpeBa9o

Still looks great.

I'm really digging all those counter attack animations a little after 3 minutes in. Also here's a video that was released a while ago talking about the multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zytgY3r8Jg
4:30 in. It's not much, but ammo boxes that are actually explosive traps!

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 22, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man these early reviews just make me want the game to be released now :(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bloodysabbath posted:

As per the Polygon review:

""It's a near-perfect embodiment of the age of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 with a hint of what to expect next."

I'm sorry, we're talking about Tomb Raider here, right? There's no words for how shocked I am to see outlets talking about this thing with "Game of the Year" style language. Might actually pick this one up.

Well that's the one of the advantages you can gamble for when you do a series reboot. You can more easily throw on a whole new take on the game that releases it from whatever was holding the previous games down. Of course it doesn't always work but yeah.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheCoon posted:

Square have been teasing a new DirectX 11 feature for this game and it ended up being some new hair tech from AMD called tressfx:

Whoa poo poo. I've always noticed that hair sometimes looks kinda static in even the prettiest game if you just stop to to take a look but this is really cool.

edit: poo poo I need a new graphics card don't I?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
AMD just emailed me my Steam key from the Never Settle Reloaded thing.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sleeping Dogs DLC. Replay New Game+ as Wei Shen :c00lbert:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I failed the first death QTE in the game because the subtitles was blocking the prompt that was telling me which key to press to kick. :saddowns: I failed it like 8 times in a row before I looked down at the subtitles and saw it poking from the bottom.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Attention Horse posted:

"What the gently caress, she has a machinegun! :stonk:"

"WHERE THE gently caress DID SHE GET A GRENADE LAUNCHER? :stonk:" (That really is the best possible emote for these guys)

I just finished the game in about 12 hours, collecting doodads if they appeared on my map. I thought the game was a fantastic adventure with just the right amount of grit. I played on Normal and the game was for the most part pretty easy, but that's alright because I was having fun with the mix of action and exploration. The optional tombs were pretty short though. Also the transitions into tombs where you walk slowly with a torch were kind of annoying after the second time since you do it on your way out too.

Also, at the end, when everyone's on a ship heading home and Lara says 'I'm not going home' does the book she's holding actually show anything in particular? I couldn't tell partially because the texture of the page seemed really low quality.?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ronnie posted:

Those slow cave crawling segments are there so the game can load the next area for you without breaking flow, it's understandable.

Oh of course, I realize that, I just wish the campfires in the tombs were fast travelable.

edit: eagerly awaiting the Deus Ex cross over DLC that lets you play Augmented Lara and finish with arm blades. Also Sleeping Dogs DLC that lets me counter with dim mak.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 6, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

I think my favorite part of the game was near the end, when you suddenly start fighting samurai, that charge you with katanas.

While you have an assault rifle.

It goes about as well as you'd expect for them.

That was actually a big surprise that I really liked. I thought they were gonna be tough as balls or something because of their supernatural link, but I popped one in the gut with a pistol and was like "Oh!" and then went to town ramboing the poo poo out of everything because superior modern firepower owns bones. Although at this rate, how did the world war 2 research party fail to contain the situation? Everyone had a machine gun or shotgun or pistol I'd assume! And there were many of them as evidenced from the corpses on the island! Hell, why were the Solarii so scared of the dudes?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also finding every doodad in a set awards you with like 500 experience. So if you find all of a certain set of relics, that's an instant 500 exp. It's a pretty quick way to level if you go around looking for doodads.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If this reboot gets a sequel, I'm sure it'll be a bit more fleshed out since they probably won't have to focus so much on Lara becoming who she is, and just her straight up being like "all right bring this poo poo on!" and then 24/7 dinosaur tombs akimbo pistols only. Actually that sounds like some server name for a non-existant game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Groetgaffel posted:

Me too. I hated the one in Legend.

Oh, and about finisher moves, my favourite by far is the pistol one.
Single round to the face, execution style.

Especially since I barely used the rifle or the shotgun. I had so much more fun popping heads with the bow, and kept the pistol with burst fire for the assholes with shields.

I really liked the rifle finisher because it was so gung-ho action movie styled. Dakka dakka!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

After rewatching the cutscene the only detail we get is a big hand with dark skin, wearing ring bracelets:

The only known character matching this is Jonah Maiava:

As far as we're concerned between Lara being taken out of the water and her running some time could have passed. In a state of shock she also might have not noticed him and just run for the light. Jonah might have survived because he actually stayed where he was instead of jumping. There are dozens of possible explainations, maybe it was even some random survivor who didn't make it later as we only really get to see his/her wrist.

Also Jonah's hands are huge. That one part where he touches Lara on the arm reassuringly made me to notice how goddamn huge his hands are. Or how thin her arms are?

• Locked thread