Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

These days I have to limit myself to rentals rather than purchases (the aforementioned Aliens Colonial Marines means I can't ever trust sixty bucks to a preorder ever again) but I think this will certainly be worth the rental.

I'm getting a sort of tangential Far Cry 3 vibe from this, from the gathering-stuff scenes. There it was mostly for one-time upgrades or chems, here it looks more involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, that's even better! I appreciate a good 3D Metroidvania.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I laughed a lot at "That's not her first piercing.

Pretty tantalizing preview, I've actually avoided most previews for fear of spoilers and/or too-high expectations. That...whatever it was that she woke up in...was amazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, there's still exploration, but of tighter segmented areas, like Metroid, or Arkham Asylum. Your ability to progress is based on what equipment you have, just like Batman!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, on the subject of the thread's title, block pushing was kind of the zeitgeist back then, wasn't it? Original Tomb Raider was pretty much a 3D Prince of Persia (with just as many deaths to falling in pits...).

The trailers have so far magnificently avoided showing anything supernatural, but I wonder if there'll be anything as shockingly weird as a statue of a centaur exploding to life as a living, pulsing life-form or a goddamn T-Rex out of nowhere.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Can you imagine Lara going on about, "but how does it taste?"

Actually that's pretty funny...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm through most of the game now. It's been a pretty huge thrill ride so far. I mean, drat.

My favorite set-piece so far has got to be the windy temple.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Weapon parts are random, right?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you go back to older areas, sometimes you find enemies chilling about, discussing things with each other. It's a nice touch. I like that.

For example, on the beach I found two guys discussing stew they were making.

And another time, I was climbing around the mountain village and two guys came outta nowhere to ambush me! Bastards!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what do you think the ballpark estimate is for Lara's kill count by endgame? Two hundred? Three hundred?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder what this more realistic-ish approach to Lara Croft would be like if they did indeed bring back some of the goofier/awesomer aspects of previous Tomb Raiders.

Specifically...

DINOSAURS!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how all climbable surfaces were marked but unobtrusively so. White, flaking-off paint on most things you could scramble up, typically.

I would love to hear how they came up with the idea for how to indicate what could be shot with the rope arrow. "Hey, why don't we make it...OTHER ROPES?!" "...brilliant!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

She's got a lot of nasty scratches around the shoulders, I wonder if they'll still be there in the future? That would take things in a different direction, for sure.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The enemies are surprisingly good at keeping you on your toes. You can't dig in or they'll either rush you with machete guys or toss a grenade in there, or they'll flank you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mug posted:

Seriously, has anyone tried it yet? It's so loving bad. You have to get to max level 3 times for one of the trophies, too. Garbage, gently caress off.

Executive-mandated multiplayer is a modern game-publishing convention that really needs to loving die, I agree.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They get you way more EXP, though, and they're good for variety's sake. What finisher she does depends on what weapon she's got out (she'll use her pick or a rock if she hasn't the skill).

Plus there's a certain catharsis in just completely unloading on these bastards.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, this game, I would totally get every achivement for if so many of them weren't tied to multiplayer. Gaaaahd.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You're mistaken on one point. It never really occurs to Matt to destroy Himiko's last body to disperse her spirit, none of his documents bring it up. The only thing that gives Lara the idea is the line she finds in the samurai general's suicide note about how Himiko's soul is trapped in a decaying body, something that I don't think Matt ever found. So, from Matt's point of view, Lara is screwing up his one chance off the island: appeasing Himiko.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope Lara keeps all the scars for any future installments, and any scars she picks up in those, too. Make her body a real roadmap of all her adventures....unless, I dunno, she finds the fountain of youth or something and has to kill a horde of 600-year-old regenerating conquistadores.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, I've actually never played any of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games. Just rented Underworld. It's, ah....

Well. I can see why they felt the franchise needed reviving. Not that this is awful, per se, but it is a little clunky and I'm not sure what to think when the first giant monster just sits there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light was actually pretty dang fun for a spinoff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Maybe if they didn't spend any money on ultimately superfluous multiplayer modes, for instance, they'd have less trouble meeting their expected sales figures. :shobon:

Seriously. I want a game that has none of this executive-mandated bullshit. I want to pay for what I'm going to play (I.e., unless it is a predominantly multiplayer-focused game I sure am not going to play the multiplayer mode, and maybe not even then!). Execs seem so terrified of failure that they need to slap on all this extraneous poo poo to pad out the project when it's probably padding out the cost of making it, too. Save yourself and us some money, assholes!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, guys: how long until these ludicrous business practices burst the bubble? I swear, Aliens:CM did it for me, personally, but I mean world-wide.

I just hope it doesn't stop good games from being made altogether in the meantime.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I'd absolutely buy just about any decent, reasonably priced singleplayer DLC they might release for this game, and it annoys me that they appear to be so myopically set on this multiplayer nonsense (a mode that, as far as I'm concerned, should never have been in the game to begin with). :mad:

Yeah, what the hell? Bioshock Infinite didn't need any shoehorned multiplayer.

I bet Ken Levine had to fight to keep it out of his contract, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I basically just want to see a MGS-style stamina system, not a big deal but something to pay attention to, and a Far Cry-style healing system since taking bullets doesn't feel severe enough.

That would be a pretty interesting hybrid healing system. I could dig it.

• Locked thread