Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Tomb Raider explores the intense and gritty origin story of Lara Croft and her ascent from a young woman to a hardened survivor. Armed only with raw instincts and the ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Lara must fight to unravel the dark history of a forgotten island to escape its relentless hold.

Developed by Crystal Dynamics starting back in 2009, the group have decided to take the franchise in a different direction but still keeping the action and puzzles but now mixing in a survival, cinematic and upgrade system that we have seen poorly executed in previous titles but shows great promise in some videos you can check out on the official site. Tomb Raider is not only a prequel to Lara Crofts adventures but in some senses a reboot to an IP that needed a break from the lime light.

The survival mechanic seems to limit the player in what they can do at first and creates a more intense sense of game play as Lara tries to escape wolf attacks, gorilla mercenaries and live through the harshness of nature itself.

The games industry seem to be really pushing for the game to be a success and the video interviews show a lot of commitment and the developers are being genuinely honest about the feedback they have gotten.

http://www.tombraider.com/gb/base/brandsitepreorder?refer=211&

Platforms Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC
Release date: 5th march worldwide

Gameplay features
>Base camp setup - act as hubs to quickly travel from one area of the island to the next
>XP and stat upgrades for weapons and Lara herself - Think Batman Arkham Asylum/City
>Metroidvania style areas - some areas are seen but inaccessible until you obtain or earn items/XP to open up new areas.
>Environmental hazards to you and the enemies that you can use to your advantage.
>QTE sections - I know some of you don't enjoy those, it looks well implemented
>Survival instinct - helps point out hidden items and puzzles.
>Treasure hunt and item collectibles

The game seems to be providing some interesting pre-order goodies depending on your region. The Steam store are giving away more bonuses the more pre-orders are made so be sure not to miss out on some DLC and free rather good co-op games.

NOTE - The Steam pre-order has hit its quota and now all pre-orders will come with the following:
One free copy of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
DLC "Tomb of the Lost Adventurer" Explore the final resting place of an intrepid adventurer, and solve a puzzle involving a crashed plane to claim your reward.
DLC Shanty Town Multiplayer Map: A ramshackle area features steep climbs, multiple ziplines for quick escapes, and deadly traps to set for your enemies.

Oh did I forget to mention? Yes this game has Multi-player not much is known but it seems to be based on small areas used to ambush and hunt other players.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/?snr=1_4_4__100_20

Videos/trailers
The graphics look incredible from how fire moves, to the rain effect plus the dark gritty scenery mixes so well with the action sequences and the static scenes.

Tomb Raider: "Survivor" Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YFtaYE-qQ&feature=youtu.be

Monastery Escape Gameplay Walkthrough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2NjZtEiosgA

Tomb Raider [UK] The Final Hours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJR1T-cGebQ&feature=youtu.be

:siren:Oh and just because some people don't seem to be sure, yes this Tomb Raider game actually has tombs to raid, glad we could clear that up.:siren:

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Thanks Dan, with that typo fixed I hope Square Enix takes me on as it's PR spokesman!

I always found the earlier games to be incredibly tedious and some puzzles can slow the game to a screeching halt but I like what they have done so far or what they are showing. I am a little weary we haven't seen many actual game play trailers and prey this isn't going to be like Aliens Colonial marines where we get a huge song and dance, then are greeted with mediocre triple A garbage.

The developers do seem to be pushing my buttons and I sure hope this game offers what it promises, because the whole survive alone on a stormy island full of danger sounds like a good romp!

So yeah key collecting isn't my bag but murdering deer and potential rape! That's what I look for in my games.

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 19, 2013

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Wait... Multiplayer! I didn't see that anywhere! How would that even work!? Thanks for the heads up.

As for the gruesome deaths; it is a stple of the previous games in some crude fashion but I think they add more tension to the game, watching you mess up and having Lara suffer for it makes you want her to survive and try harder at succeeding, plus it's less lazy then just having the game fade to black or have her body go in to doll physics.

I remember in the old games jumping off high cliffs and having Lara scream as she plummets to her death always made me wince and feel kinda bad for screwing up. Then I decided to blame it on the camera. :)

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Since I'm not sure if their is a better place to post and ask I'll tr here, Does anyone still play Lara Croft: the Guardian of Light? I'm really enjoying the game but have been told that co-op is the best experience. However when I try to find or make a game no games are found or no one is around and the Steam boards are dead. Has everyone given up on it or is it a bad game for match-making?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
After a 5 minute wait I managed to find someone from Croatia to play with! He didn't have a mic but did understand English, it was his first time playing so had to help play tutorial for a few stages but after we gelled we got on great. Knew where we were supposed to be and what role to take in a puzzle. It was funny as the guy just kept dying from the most incompetent things, like setting off explosives in his face and throwing himself on obvious booby traps but we had a laugh and I made him my Steam buddy for future gaming sessions. If people are going to be getting Lara Croft: and the Guardian of Light as a freebie then I urge you to check out this game it does not disappoint!

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
As long as this doesn't turn in to an Aliens: Colonial Marines I am happy.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
When I play the game I'm going to make sure Lara doesn't die a gruesome horrific death. I'm hoping I can find some salvage with a clean warm blanket and some hot cocoa inside then Lara can be nice and toasty around the camp fire. :3:

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! 89.9% pre-installed! I know what I'm doing this Tuesday and for the next few days!
---
I remember seeing trailers of Lara escaping wolf attacks and that it is apparently really close to the beggining of the game. I wonder how it will be implemented? Prehaps it'll just be a cut scene with some QTE segments or maybe Lara will have to pull a Solid Snake and equip a wolf scented handkerchief to have the wolves lick her with joy!....

...I don't think I'm the main demographic for this game....

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I'm so looking forward to the release I got the Tomb Raider anniversary demo just to see what it's like and I have to admit I really enjoy it. It didn't feel like an outdated game with a new coat of paint, the mechanics and game play have been improved and the ability to control the camera and auto-hang are a god send! Hell even the combat felt tighter. However, I did roll my eyes :rolleyes: noticing that when Lara emerges from water her clothes are a little more see through and her skin glimmers while the camera gives the ability to have a closer look. Oh video game industry don't ever change.
I may have to buy it during a Steam sale, but till then I have a brand new game to play in a few days.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Those slow cave crawling segments are there so the game can load the next area for you without breaking flow, it's understandable. I'm having a blast so far. I enjoy hunting for salvage more than anything and knowing that going out my way to find treasure is rewarding in its self (also for upgrading equipment and skills etc).

The game really enjoys throwing you in to set piece after set piece. I was so desperate for just some puzzle fun and taking it easy I actually used fast track to go back to the beggining and get some extra trinckets and XP and more importantly: a breather! I'm constantly on edge from scavangers and enviromental QTE moments you don't have time tor rest your beautiful rendered high detail hair! What is a girl to do?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
drat Lara, you look like poo poo girl! You could use a holiday.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ok I can deal with unaware scavangers and I can deal with wolves but I cannot handle them together! Why!? I trying to be stealthy and just use the bow but I'm having real trouble. Also can the game not let up for 5 minutes without me having to duck and cover my way through a combat segment? I'm kinda hoping I'm near the end now because I'm just going through the motions at this point.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
The gruesome QTE deaths do start to come less frequent the further in the game you get. I was a little miffed that survival is very minimal compared to the combat but once you realize it's not going away and you build up your arsenal you get a good adrenaline rush from killing these crazy cultists! I think the platforming is where this game really shines.

Pick up the game while you can guys that is a very good price!

Just picked up Tomb Raider: Anniversary man they did a good job revamping the original game, they cut a lot of out dated game concepts, kept and improved the good stuff and added extra bits and pieces. I'm really hooked!

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
If we just have more tombs to raid and more puzzles I will be incredibly happy to purchase the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Oh now this is just terrible....

What kind of gruesome deaths can happen to Lara in a psychiatric office? Really grasping at straws here Crystal Dynamics.

• Locked thread